What's new

Dam Construction in Pakistan

frankly speaking i believe Skardu-Katzara dam is going to be the second most controversial project after Kalabagh Dam in the first 100 years of Pakistan's history and i don't see it happening for the next 20 or 30 years at least.

You see WAPDA is currently busy in 32 smaller dams project + diamer bhasha dam. Once all these dams are completed they will focus other larger dams like Dasu, Bunji and Yulbu etc and all these projects requires at least 20 years to be completed.

This Skardu dam is going to be one of the tallest dam on earth and if incase one small disaster takes place. It has the potential to destroy not only 1-2 city but perhaps the whole of the provinces or even half of the country in my opinion. This dam although generating a lot of electricity to fullfill our future demands at a very cheap prices but is highly risky if ever decided to go ahead.

I would say WAPDA is doing a right job by constructing smaller dams first. Once they are done with that, our water storage system will gradually improve and then we must move forward for bigger dams. This Skardu dam should only be concentrated after all the current and future projects on pipeline are completed so this way we will have enough space to store water to prevent the damage if they go for Skardu dam afterwards

I hope you got what i mean

But, I believe that all these smaller dams combined cannot produce energy equivalent to Skardu Dam.

Also, Pakistan has signed MoU with China and I believe China is providing soft loan for Bunji Dam Construction. I have been to the site and there were boards there stating: Site for Bunji Dam.

But, I believe that all these smaller dams combined cannot produce energy equivalent to Skardu Dam.

Also, Pakistan has signed MoU with China and I believe China is providing soft loan for Bunji Dam Construction. I have been to the site and there were boards there stating: Site for Bunji Dam.

true, 15,000MW of electricity from one dam only is not a joke. But the problem is we are lacking proper infrastructure. What if the water spills from the dam? If there is not any alternative like any other dam near Skardu which can be utilized to divert some portion of its water. Its going to make big problem for the whole country.

I hope you got my point

So i believe it is more important to complete other on going projects first before going forward for such a huge project

Last edited:
I think we all i.e public , lawyers, civil society, media etc should put positive pressure on the govt to start and complete the bhasha , bunji and thar power production . We should focus and do long marches , protests for these projects rather for own benefits of the politicians. Govt should be afraid of the fact that if the project is delayed , pakistani people are aware and will take the govt into task.

After this massive flood, so much causalities, electric city price so high (I have a A.C, not for use , only a show piece , remembering that there was a good time) , Ordinary people suffer from every side, and now they if they are saying don't construct a dam,
that's ridicules , is not ?
May be i was not in favour , but after massive flood, when i saw my love ones in camps, now i am 110% "with kala bagh dam"

Such a massive power shortages are happening due to our politicians. They politicize the Kalabagh dam project, other wise we would have completed the dam 10 years back... all those irresponsible political figures of sindh and kpk are responsible for such a mess which they have created by not allowing wapda to construct this dam.

Such a massive power shortages are happening due to our politicians. They politicize the Kalabagh dam project, other wise we would have completed the dam 10 years back... all those irresponsible political figures of sindh and kpk are responsible for such a mess which they have created by not allowing wapda to construct this dam.

Just don't blame the politicians.

Had Punjab not stolen water of Sindh in the 1980s and 90s, such HATRED and MISTRUST would not have had developed among the provinces.

On top of that, the Big Brother would always use slogans of Islamic Brotherhood, National Interest and Patriotism for its own vested interest. Anyone disagreeing with the Big Brother is labelled a TRAITOR or AGENT in the blink of the eye.

Sorry brother, we are reaping the harvest of HATRED that was once sown by our elders.

why i should not blame politicians thats all because of them coz they politicised the KB dam project for their own benefit. otherwise every body knows that how important this dam is for the future of Pakistan

I came across this "Pakistan Flood control System (PFCS)" on another Pakistani forum. can anybody explain if it is technically possible?
presentation link

http://**************/files/448419648/PFCS_2.0.13.pdf

this is overview
6e8e4ea47b1e43a20b295b888997ea1f.jpg

Construction of Dadocha dam in doldrums

Islamabad—Small Dam Organization(SDO) has failed to construct Dadocha Dam after lapse of one decade as land grabbers and some influential housing societies purchased the land on the proposed site.

In the year 2000, the Punjab government asked Small Dam Organization to prepare feasibility of two new small dams in the Rawalpindi district to overcome water shortage in the region..

Technical experts and engineers selected two suitable sites for construction of new water reservoirs. One was Chirah at Korang stream and other was Dadocha on River Soan.

In 2002 the feasibility report and PC-1 of Dadocha Dam was prepared by Small Dam Organization. According to which, the project would be constructed on Soan River near Dadocha village some 35 km towards east from Rawalpindi.

The project would cost Rs335.36 million , which will cover total area of 18000 Kanals, with catchment area of 335 square KM. The maximum height of the dam would be 37.50 meters. Dadocha Dam would supply 25 MGD (million gallons per day)to the twin cities.

Small Dam Organization handed over PC-1 to the Irrigation and Power Department Punjab for the release of funds . But after lapse of eight years the funds could not be allocated.

This unreasonable delay gave a chance to some housing societies to purchase the land of the project from the owners at very low price as the dwellers of the adjacent villages thought that their land would be inundated under the dam, so they preferred to sell their property.

These housing societies bought total 45000 kannal of land at the project site and sold the same after earning profit of billions of rupees.—Online

New dams are now must required to produce electricity to solve the the main problem of load shedding in the country

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom