What's new

Dam Construction in Pakistan

I created this table in Microsoft Excel. Look at the on going hydropower projects most of them are due to be completed by 2011. So expect Diamer-Bhasha project to be started soon. I created these tables with the help of WAPDA website and the sheet from the parlimant report provided by Sparklingway yesterday.

zakiunderconstructionhy.jpg

I am trying to create a similar table for Pakistan's future hydropower projects until 2030 and added 3 more fields (Dam Height, Live Storage and Cost per kilowatt). But i do not yet have all the information i require. So when i am done will share final image with you. That is i am creating because it is not easy for me to read about all dams from different links. I will keep that sheet with me and keep updating it (depending upon the news).

PS: - The actual cost may differ as i got it these figures from WAPDA website which is not updated completely.

^^^ Really nice Zaki bhai. I'll contribute as much as I can and dig through official documents. You might have to split the document exploration with me though :)

^^^ Really nice Zaki bhai. I'll contribute as much as I can and dig through official documents. You might have to split the document exploration with me though :)

Thanks Sir, i would defenitely need your help if you want me to add more information in these tables. I had to delete few columns to make it look pretty again :angry: cause some of the information was missing. If you can somehow find out the costs of Killowat per hour in US cents or the height of the dam or how much of land is it going to irrigate........ that would be great

In my next post....I will be sharing few more tables i created tonight and hopefully tomorrow i will create similar tables for other provinces also and divide electricity generated by Hydel power plants in 2011, 2015, 2020 and 2030 for illustration purposes (if all projects completed successfully)

Winder Dam contract awarded to Pak-Canada joint venture

The dam will be constructed at the Winder River that is at a distance of some 125 kilometers from Karachi. The proposed water reservoir would have a storage capacity of around 36,167 acres feet and would irrigate around 22,000 acres of land by using modern micro irrigation techniques.
The contract for the construction of Rs7.5 billion worth Winder Dam Project has been awarded to M/s Techno Engineering Services (Private) Limited, a Pakistani company and RSWI, a Canadian firm,

The construction project, which will be completed within three years, is partially being funded by China while remaining cost is being borne by the government of Pakistan.

The technical and final evaluation of the project was carried out by separate cells of Wapda experts and following a go ahead from them, the contract was awarded to one of the six companies and JVs that submitted bids for the project. “Six international companies and JVs including some Pakistani companies were competing for the contract,” the Wapda authorities said, adding that construction of the dam would now take a couple of months.

Officials associated with the construction of the dam also said that in addition to storing rainwater from the catchment area that spreads over 355 sq. kilometers, the project would also have an installed capacity to produce 300 kV of electricity that will be supplied to nearby villages and towns. “Wapda has taken on board the Pakistan Agriculture Research Council (PARC) as well as some Balochistan institutions for the development of a command area to promote micro irrigation system after the completion of the dam. The Micro irrigation system, based on drip and sprinkler irrigation systems with hybrid varieties, is expected to usher a green revolution in the area by optimal use of land and stored water,” they maintained.
:smitten:

The News

The dam will be constructed at the Winder River that is at a distance of some 125 kilometers from Karachi. The proposed water reservoir would have a storage capacity of around 36,167 acres feet and would irrigate around 22,000 acres of land by using modern micro irrigation techniques.
The contract for the construction of Rs7.5 billion worth Winder Dam Project has been awarded to M/s Techno Engineering Services (Private) Limited, a Pakistani company and RSWI, a Canadian firm,

The construction project, which will be completed within three years, is partially being funded by China while remaining cost is being borne by the government of Pakistan.

The technical and final evaluation of the project was carried out by separate cells of Wapda experts and following a go ahead from them, the contract was awarded to one of the six companies and JVs that submitted bids for the project. “Six international companies and JVs including some Pakistani companies were competing for the contract,” the Wapda authorities said, adding that construction of the dam would now take a couple of months.

Officials associated with the construction of the dam also said that in addition to storing rainwater from the catchment area that spreads over 355 sq. kilometers, the project would also have an installed capacity to produce 300 kV of electricity that will be supplied to nearby villages and towns. “Wapda has taken on board the Pakistan Agriculture Research Council (PARC) as well as some Balochistan institutions for the development of a command area to promote micro irrigation system after the completion of the dam. The Micro irrigation system, based on drip and sprinkler irrigation systems with hybrid varieties, is expected to usher a green revolution in the area by optimal use of land and stored water,” they maintained.

The News

WOW

This is gr8

The News

only 300kv of electricity? they could have probably generated 15-35 MW at least with 7.5 billion rupees of money. 300kv is only 0.3MW right? that is nothing. Not even sufficient for a small town :disagree: (wild guess).

Look at Basho dam which is 5.2 billion rupees project and will generate 28MW of electricity

only 300kv of electricity? they could have probably generated 15-35 MW at least with 7.5 billion rupees of money. 300kv is only 0.3MW right? that is nothing. Not even sufficient for a small town :disagree: (wild guess).

Look at Basho dam which is 5.2 billion rupees project and will generate 28MW of electricity

The main purpose of a dam is to store water for irrigation, hydropower generation is a secondary function.
so if it can store enough water to fulfill the irrigations needs of the area, than the money spent is worth it, any power generated is a bonus.

Small dams generally cannot generate a lot of hydropower...they are more efficient in storing water. That is why small dams can never take the place of large dams...they can only compliment large dams..

The main purpose of a dam is to store water for irrigation, hydropower generation is a secondary function.
so if it can store enough water to fulfill the irrigations needs of the area, than the money spent is worth it, any power generated is a bonus.

Small dams generally cannot generate a lot of hydropower...they are more efficient in storing water. That is why small dams can never take the place of large dams...they can only compliment large dams..
yeah i understnd brother take an example of Phandar lake/dam which is supposed to cost big money but generate only 80MW of electricity in return that is because its prime role is to irrigate land and not to generate electricity. I do understand that but thinking only 300kv of electicity is supposed to be generated from it i am sure if they wanted they would have installed better turbine system to generate at least 1-5MW of electricity for sure.

I understand something is better than nothing but i was just wondering little more efforts could have helped them generate a little more electricity that could have taken care of 1-2 villages :partay:

My opinion only

yeah i understnd brother take an example of Phandar lake/dam which is supposed to cost big money but generate only 80MW of electricity in return that is because its prime role is to irrigate land and not to generate electricity. I do understand that but thinking only 300kv of electicity is supposed to be generated from it i am sure if they wanted they would have installed better turbine system to generate at least 1-5MW of electricity for sure.

I understand something is better than nothing but i was just wondering little more efforts could have helped them generate a little more electricity that could have taken care of 1-2 villages :partay:

My opinion only

yes i agree with u brother but my point is that these small dams, though very useful for the local farmers and villages, will not alleviate our water and power problems. We need to go towards big dams for water storage and run off the river hydropower projects, which sadly is not happening...

FPCCI for construction of dams to meet power needs

LAHORE (April 12 2010): Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI), an apex body of business chambers in the country, has stressed the need for immediate construction of water reservoirs and dams to meet increasing power shortage.

Speaking at a round table discussion here on Sunday on "The impact of power shortage on national economy", FPCCI President Sultan Ahmad Chwala said the country was currently facing the worst power and gas crisis adding that uninterrupted supply of power was a pre-requisite for country's economic growth and development.

He said without reliable power supply there could be no production and no industry, and issues like fulfilling international trade commitments would no longer matter. He said industry and agriculture were vital national sectors requiring smooth electric and gas supply for development.

"In view of the power situation confronting the country today, construction of water reservoirs and dams was absolutely necessary to meet water-power shortage," he said, adding that consensus regarding the construction of dams should be obtained at the earliest for the survival of the economy.

He said that international experts and studies conducted here by international bodies such World Bank, after detailed research have identified certain sites feasible for a big dam from technical point of view. Speaking on the occasion, VP SAARC Chamber of Commerce and Industry Iftikhar Ali Malik who is also co-chairman Businessmen Panel said new dams were inevitable to meet the ever increasing demand for inexpensive energy sources, and would also help bring down the cost of everything including essential commodities.

President LCCI Zafar Iqbal Chaudhary said that new dams would also help reduce the frequency and severity of flood havoc in downstream of river Indus, especially in Sindh province, he added.

Copyright Associated Press of Pakistan, 2010

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

Five dams to be completed in Khuzdar soon

KHUZDAR (April 19 2010): Balochistan Irrigation Minister Sardar Muhammad Aslam Bezinjo has said that huge funds are being utilised on construction work of five dams in district Khuzdar and those would be completed soon.

Talking to a delegation headed by former tehsil nazim Muhammad Asif Jamaldini at Khuzdar Circuit House here on Sunday, he elaborated that Rs 110 million were being utilised on construction work of Sasoli dam, Rs 90.37 million on Tegh dam, Rs 50 million on Soroanjira dam, Rs 40 million on Wadh dam and Rs 30.50 million on Zawh dam. He mentioned that completion of such dams would result in irrigating millions of acres of barren land in Khuzdar and adjoining areas.

He noted the government had released Rs 1.2 million for execution of clean drinking water scheme at Khuzdar Girls Degree College and Rs 05 million for water supply schemes for Bolan Colony, and Soniji Cochak areas.

Tehsil Administrator Abdul Qayyum Umrani, TMO Khuzdar Elahi Bukhsh Zehri, SE Irrigation Abdul Hamid Mengal and ex-district nazim Khuzdar Mir Abdur Rahim Kurd were also present.

88 percent of work on Gomal Zam dam completed

TANK (April 26 2010): Project Director Gomal Zam Dam, Engr Haqmali Mehsud said on Sunday that about 88 percent work on the gigantic project and its power house excluding irrigation system has been completed, while the remaining work hopefully would complete very soon.

He told APP that irrigation system including canals and distributaries would be handed over to Irrigation Department after completion of the remaining work.

The dam will boost up hydropower generation and would protect fertile land from flood besides converting most of barren land into canal irrigated area that would generate employment opportunities for youth and will bolster income of poor segment of the society.

This was multipurpose project with no adverse impacts besides having major benefits of controlling flood and soil erosion, he maintained. The present government is keen to construct water reservoirs and Gomal Zam dam is one of the major step towards this end. Realising its vast potential and visualising its direct and indirect benefits, the dam would be extremely helpful in uplifting the socio-economic condition of people and would protect the fertile land from desertification.

The official said measures had been taken for de-silting purpose, adding at Gul Kach a de-silting plant on latest lines was to be installed for this purpose.

He informed hundred of thousands of acres land of Tank and DI Khan districts would be irrigated. In the past, this multi-purpose project was restricted only to paper, he added. However, the present government, while realising the significance of the gigantic project, a new life was injected to materialise the long-last dream of people of southern districts of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa.

The dam would have 1-14MAF gross storage of water whereas 0.892 MAF live storage to provide irrigation water to lands, he informed. It would also provide a small plant for power generation with installed capacity of 17.4MW.

To a question, he said the power plant had been designed with a turbine discharge. He added 63 kilometre-long main canal with an average discharge of 848 cusecs and 18 distributaries with a length of 203 kilometres to be constructed in the system of water distribution, adding the roller compacted concrete gravity of the dam with a height of 436 feet and length 492 feet.

He told that a barrage would also be a part of the project at KOT Murtaza with a length of 460 feet. Engr Haq Mali expressed satisfaction over the safety measures of the dam site and that local people are fully co-operating with staff and were providing assistance in terms of provision of house hold items.

The construction of Gomal Dam will bring a very positive change in lives of the people of decades-old neglected areas of Tank and DI Khan districts.

Due to the government's positive approach, the project will be milestone towards self-sufficiency in food and will control soil conservation and will boost agriculture sector. It will bring significant increase in the production of different crops and will prevent the fertile land from desertification.

It may be mentioned here that Gomal Zam dam is being constructed about 35 miles from Tank in South Waziristan Agency.

32 small, medium dams to be constructed by 2014

ISLAMABAD (May 02 2010): The government has decided to construct 32 small and medium dams throughout the country by 2014 to help overcome power load shedding. The government has allocated Rs 250 billion for constructing these dams during the PSDP of 2009-10, official sources told APP here Saturday. Out of the total 32 dams, 13 dams would be constructed in the first phase and work on some of the dams has already been started, they said.

Elaborating, they said 5 dams would be constructed in Balochistan, 4 in Sindh, and 2 in NWFP and Punjab each. An amount of Rs 23.439 million has been spent so far on the projects. The dams would function, both for irrigation and generating hydel power.

Sources informed that Allai, Khan Khwar, Duber Khwar, Jinnah hydropower projects are also under construction and are expected to be completed in year 2010-11. The water wing of Wapda is responsible for planning, designing and execution of water resources development projects in the sector of irrigation, drainage and hydropower. Inter-provincial major surface projects including large dams are also operated and maintained by the water wing, they added.

They informed that the wing has already completed Indus Basin projects, 5 barrages, 8 inter-river link canals, Mangla and Tarbela dams which, are contributing substantially towards the national economy. Neelum Jhelum Hydropower projects are under construction while Golen Gol project is under implementation. Detailed engineering design and tender of documents of Kohala, Bunji, Phandar, Basho, Keyal Khwar, Lawi and Harpo were under process, they added.

Similarly, they said, upgradation of feasibility study and detailed engineering design of Tarbela's 4th extension is being taken up and would commence shortly. Concluding, they said the government has expedited work on the construction of dams to bridge the gap between demand and supply of electricity and to get rid of the loadshedding, they said.

http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=1051859&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

Back
Top Bottom