What's new

Dam Construction in Pakistan

India's KHP a threat to Neelum-Jhelum Hydro project'

The LCCI President said that after seeing the designs of the Indian businessmen the trade talks with India should be stopped forthwith. According to LCCI Pakistan is on the brink of mass starvation as the process to turn it into a desert had begun because of a drastic cut in water availability from 5,000 cubic meters per capita in 1950s to 1000 cubic meter in 2010 despite the fact that water availability per capita ranks last amongst Asian countries and Pakistan experiencing severe water shortage.

India is building a huge storage capability (National River Linking Project) with a cost of US $120 billion to be completed by 2016 with features to diversion of 178 cubic KM water from north to south, including 3,000 storage reservoirs, 14,000 KM of canals, resulting in conflicts with neighbouring countries including China, Bangladesh and Bhutan.

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

Fallacy of this article is in 1950 Per captia water availability was 5000 cubic Meters and now its about 1000 cubic meters

Population of pakistan at the time of independence was about 30 Million and Now the present polutaion is about 180 Million that's a six time increase in population, that it self will cover more than enough for the argument that per captia water availability is almost same.

There is also the influence of Climate change.

India has not yet started the river linking process, its still just on paper.

:welcome:

ISLAMABAD: Former Chairman WAPDA, Shams ul Mulk said the Construction of Kalabagh and other dams is the need of the hour and if delayed, it could be very dangerous for the future of the country.

He said the surcharge of hydel power should not be included in the electricity bills. Pakistan, even today, has more capacity to generate electricity than most of the other countries, but right decisions at the right time have been and continue to be lacking in order to utilise these capacities in Pakistan.

Talking about Rental Power Plants, Shams-ul-Mulk said electricity generation by hydel resources is possible at the rate of 49 paisa per unit but instead, electricity generation through the RPPs starting from Rs 14 per unit is being promoted. This is due to the myopic vision of the leaders and their lack of planning over the years, he said.

He said, “Through the Indus Water Treaty, Pakistan has been denied water from 3 of its rivers. Many experts figured Tarbela and Mangla dams could never be constructed, but we as a nation worked hard and proved them wrong”. He added, the World Bank persuaded Pakistan to accept two reservoirs instead of 3 rivers. zeeshan javaid

Planned and under construction Hydro power projects.

Thanks Sparklingway jee for these official piece of documents :) I would have loved if they had added the costs and the expected start dates of these projects.

Now the question is, Pakistan's current energy demands by 2030 are expected to rise 6 - 8 times of today by different sources. That is roughly 80,000MW - 100,000 MW of energy needs in 2030.

Now the question is how are we going to meet these energy needs by 2030?

In your above post we can expect about 18,000MW of electricity by Hydro power projects, we have about 12,500MW~ of electricity from existing plants, 4000MW from IP Gas pipeline, so many propose projects having a total electricity generation of about 12,000MW from Coal and what else?

I have been hearing about the cancellation of coal projects recently so not sure how many projects still exists there but i was wondering what is our government doing to tackle with our energy crisis in Long term. I have been hearing we have planned to generate 8800MW of electricity from Nuclear by 2030 but so far we have not been able to get any bigger nuclear deals and only 20 years are remaining and like always i believe once again many targets are going to be missed :lol:

If we accept all projects to be completed blindly then we have this electricity in future

Exisiting: 10,000 - 15,000 MW (since the government officials are confused themselves they keep changing their own statements)

so we take it as:

Existing: 12,500MW
Hydro Projects: 18,000MW
Nuclear: 8800MW
Coal: 12,500

= 51,800MW

Now what else?

Don't you see a wide gap in electicity demands by 2030? :undecided::undecided::undecided:

Thanks Sparklingway jee for these official piece of documents :) I would have loved if they had added the costs and the expected start dates of these projects.

Now the question is, Pakistan's current energy demands by 2030 are expected to rise 6 - 8 times of today by different sources. That is roughly 80,000MW - 100,000 MW of energy needs in 2030.

Now the question is how are we going to meet these energy needs by 2030?

Indeed the gap between our electricity demands and production only seems to be on the rise. I'll get more info about all sorts of projects as budget time is approaching and annual reports are being published.

Nuclear seems to be the only solution but even if we start looking concretely for massive nuclear right now, I'm not sure we'll be able to set up 10,000 MW of nuclear power plants. Hydropower isn't going to help us a lot here and neither should we increase our reliance on furnace oil anymore.

There is a need to de centralize the grid and that would help if we are able to support the cost of setting up wind power along coastal areas. Also, under the Prime Minister Initiative for Alternative Energy, 5-20MW of solar is being set up in villages which are at least 5km from the grid and if they aren't on WAPDA's plan for connection to the grid in the next 5 years (will be done on MNA requests and around 12 requests have been furnished as of now). Obviously, this isn't a big step but promotes de centralized village power supply which seems to be a good initiative.

If we are fully able to capture Thar Coal then we might just be able to get around 10,000 MW from it in the next two decades.

Do you think we might just be forced to buy electricity from a neighboring country?

Indeed the gap between our electricity demands and production only seems to be on the rise. I'll get more info about all sorts of projects as budget time is approaching and annual reports are being published.

Nuclear seems to be the only solution but even if we start looking concretely for massive nuclear right now, I'm not sure we'll be able to set up 10,000 MW of nuclear power plants. Hydropower isn't going to help us a lot here and neither should we increase our reliance on furnace oil anymore.

There is a need to de centralize the grid and that would help if we are able to support the cost of setting up wind power along coastal areas. Also, under the Prime Minister Initiative for Alternative Energy, 5-20MW of solar is being set up in villages which are at least 5km from the grid and if they aren't on WAPDA's plan for connection to the grid in the next 5 years (will be done on MNA requests and around 12 requests have been furnished as of now). Obviously, this isn't a big step but promotes de centralized village power supply which seems to be a good initiative.

If we are fully able to capture Thar Coal then we might just be able to get around 10,000 MW from it in the next two decades.

Do you think we might just be forced to buy electricity from a neighboring country?

"Also, under the Prime Minister Initiative for Alternative Energy, 5-20MW of solar is being set up in villages which are at least 5km from the grid and if they aren't on WAPDA's plan for connection to the grid in the next 5 years (will be done on MNA requests and around 12 requests have been furnished as of now). Obviously, this isn't a big step but promotes de centralized village power supply which seems to be a good initiative."

Change starts slowly!
It is a very good initiative.
:tup: :tup: :tup:

I thought I might as well share these because the SOI report on NEPRA's website takes years to download due to their limited bandwidth

PS : I'm guessing they made bit of a mistake as Mitsui, AES and Integrated Coal aren't going to be NPPs but TPPs.

1000 times thanks Sparklingway

Very interesting post and i have very mixed comments about our electricity demands where our energy deficits stands at around 4000MW even in 2014 so expect loadshedding but good to see it won't be worse and keeping in mind that the Hydropower projects like Neelum Jhelum and Bhasha dam will be completed before 2018 so i am very optimistic we will be able to tackle with with energy crisis around 2020 and per plans we will have around 52,000MW of energy by 2030 and who knows we start few more projects in future those are not listed yet

Will try to read these future plans written in these tables once again and will write my review after anaylzing it

1000 times thanks Sparklingway
No problem. Always at your service :thank_you2:
Very interesting post and i have very mixed comments about our electricity demands where our energy deficits stands at around 4000MW even in 2014 so expect loadshedding but good to see it won't be worse and keeping in mind that the Hydropower projects like Neelum Jhelum and Bhasha dam will be completed before 2018 so i am very optimistic we will be able to tackle with with energy crisis around 2020 and per plans we will have around 52,000MW of energy by 2030 and who knows we start few more projects in future those are not listed yet

Will try to read these future plans written in these tables once again and will write my review after anaylzing it

If NEPRA is expecting a peak deficit of >4000MW till 2014 as well (RPP less calculations), then keeping in mind that realistically a whole bunch of projects will be delayed, I'm not getting a good feeling. Absconder Commando and his troops of PMl-Q sure deserve a nod of appreciation for what they did with the power sector.

Does these plants include RPPs?

i couldn't find any in the list so i do not think so :undecided:

I would say rather than installing RPPs why don't they borrow electricity from Tajikistan for NWFP aka Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa and from Iran for Balochistan and Sindh?

Both of them are cheaper than RPPs

Does these plants include RPPs?

i couldn't find any in the list so i do not think so :undecided:

I would say rather than installing RPPs why don't they borrow electricity from Tajikistan for NWFP aka Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa and from Iran for Balochistan and Sindh?

Both of them are cheaper than RPPs

RPPs aren't included in these lists as they are from the '08-'09 report i.e. before راجہ بجلی اور پانی got obsessed with RPPs. This year's report might give us a more realistic outlook.

Tajikistan seems to be a good option and their ambassador expressed such feeling back in 2008. But I'm unsure about the problems the geography of the area might pose. It isn't a really construction friendly area and setting up it with the grid will cost money for sure.

RPPs aren't included in these lists as they are from the '08-'09 report i.e. before راجہ بجلی اور پانی got obsessed with RPPs. This year's report might give us a more realistic outlook.

Tajikistan seems to be a good option and their ambassador expressed such feeling back in 2008. But I'm unsure about the problems the geography of the area might pose. It isn't a really construction friendly area and setting up it with the grid will cost money for sure.

Of course you need money for everything and importing electricity from Tajikistan through Wakhan Corridor is almost impossible. Tajikistan's Nurek Dam is the tallest dam in the world having a total installed capacity of 3000MW which alone is enough to fullfil its energy demands and other hydropower projects such as Sangtuda generate electricity in excess and Tajikistan has a great potential in hydropower sector and can become leading electricity producer in the World. The only problem we have is other countries like China and Afghanistan are also interested in buying more electricity from Tajikistan. They generate electricity on Water and you know very well it is the cheapest form of generating electricity in the world. I believe if not more then at least 1000MW of electricity should be imported from Tajikistan via preferably China or Afghanistan (and not through the wakhan corridor for sure).

Tajikistan did offer electricity to Pakistan last year but at the same time they were in pressure to sell electricity to Afghanistan and China two of its energy hungry neghbouring countries. There has no progress as of yet but i strongly believe our government should talk to them and ask Americans to put pressure on them to fullfil our energy demands.

PS: - by using your notes shared in above post i will try to write these projects in excel sheet and will add costs of each project and start date using the wapda website so we will if these projects are really realistic or not

IBRD to provide $145.6 million for PBIP-II

RECORDER REPORT

FAISALABAD (April 04 2010): International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) will provide $145.6 million for Punjab Barrages Improvement Phase-II Project (PBIP-II) to strengthen and modernise Jinnah barrage and affiliated works to enable reliable and uninterrupted supply of water for over 2.1 million acres of farmland benefiting about 600,000 farm families for irrigation and domestic water users; and to build IPD's capacity in improved water resources and irrigation system management.

According to WB project report, the project would help support first strategic objective of the Country Assistance Strategy (CAS) and PRSP-II of Restoring Stability and Maintaining Growth for Sustainable Development, support aim of the CAS of sustained growth recovery with enhanced resilience to shocks and volatility to growth. The CAS emphasises the need to strengthen water sector governance.

The barrages are strategic assets and their full or partial failure would result in economic and environmental disaster and social chaos. The project would help in avoid such shocks to the economy/society and help develop resilience for sustained growth and poverty reduction.

WB report revealed that the Bank has a long history of partnership and collaboration with Pakistan. In particular, the Bank is seen as a trusted partner in the water sector and a co-ordinator for international financial institutions and other development partners.

The two largest provinces (Punjab and Sindh), which manage more than 85 percent of the IBIS, have embarked on far reaching irrigation reforms and have made significant progress on the reform agenda. Altogether, the Bank has supported more than 48 operations in irrigation, drainage and water resources development and the power sector so far.

With the assistance of the Bank, the Government of Punjab has already completed the rehabilitation and modernisation of the Taunsa Barrage located in the Indus River below the Jinnah Barrage, report pointed out. Therefore, the Government of Punjab is seeking support from the World Bank for its knowledge, expertise, experience and it seeks a reliable partner in the sector, in addition to financing.

More specifically, the Bank is expected to help ensure that (i) a systematic approach is adopted in the design of rehabilitation of the barrages (ii) thorough planning is carried out to minimise the interruptions to operation during construction along with a suitable communication strategy to bring on board major stakeholders; (iii) any environmental and social concerns are properly addressed, (iv) the project works and facilities are procured and constructed with good quality, within the budget, and on schedule; (iv) the operation and maintenance will be upgraded and strengthened as a model for safe and sustainable use of other barrages; and (v) institutional capacity is strengthened in carrying out such operation and overall management of the water resources and the river system in the province through technical assistance and various components of the project.

WB report revealed that Pakistan has enjoyed good economic performance in recent years. After a decade of political instability, macroeconomic crisis, and limited economic and social progress in the 1990s, Pakistan has emerged as one of the fastest-growing economies in Asia, with rising per capita income and improved social indicators. With growth there has been an increase in demand for better infrastructure.

However, Pakistan's infrastructure platform needs significant investment in order to support Pakistan's growth and service delivery goals. Infrastructure services, including electricity, paved roads, municipal services, and telecommunications reach a relatively low proportion of the population.

At the same time, improvements in basic infrastructure are critical to improving human development outcomes. Approximately 40 percent of the population lack access to power and about 75 percent of all rural health, education and market facilities are accessible only by earth tracks.

Similarly, water and sanitation services, which are critical to achieve human development outcomes, have suffered from poor quality and limited availability. The water quality in rivers' streams and canals has been deteriorating, leading to harmful impact on the public health.

WB report pointed out that the Pakistan Country Assistance Strategy (CAS) for FY10-14 will be implemented in a period of uncertainty with a focus both on immediate needs dictated, in part, by ongoing conflict and the return to macroeconomic stability; but also a medium term approach that supports growth, service delivery, improved institutional governance, human development and infrastructure investment through existing platforms.

The aim of the CAS is sustained growth recovery and to enhance Pakistan's resilience to shocks. The Strategic Objectives for the FY10-14 CAS are based on both selectivity and flexibility in a results framework that specifies desired outcomes and intermediate indicators, but also provides for unexpected challenges and evolving demands.

The Strategic Objectives focus on three core areas:

-- Restoring Stability and Maintaining Growth for Sustainable Development;

-- Investing in Pakistan's human development resources and protecting the poor;

-- Improving governance and service delivery

These Strategic Objectives respond to Pakistan's needs and the World Bank Group's comparative advantages. They will build upon existing platforms, particularly in health, education, social protection, and infrastructure; while political, economic and social developments will influence specific opportunities and possibly constrain others.

For first strategic objective, restoring stability and maintaining growth over the CAS period will require significant investment and continued policy reforms, particularly to address infrastructure deficits, improve competitiveness, and address cross cutting issues such as environmental management and urban planning.

Among other things this requires investments in improved water management for agriculture productivity and growth. During the CAS period agricultural growth will provide a basic foundation for robust growth.

A critical prerequisite will be an efficient and well-run irrigation system, particularly in Sindh and Punjab provinces. While progress has been made, the irrigation and drainage system suffers from deteriorating infrastructure and weak governance. To reduce volatility to growth, Bank's support will include rehabilitation of major assets such as barrages and continued capacity development at the regional and federal level for managing water resources, WB report added.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2010
http://http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=1040698&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

Small dams' construction: China urged to release $700 million

ZAFAR BHUTTA

ISLAMABAD (April 05 2010): Pakistan has urged China to disburse $ 700 million loan, pledged for small and medium sized dams, that would enable mobilisation of contractors in an effort to mitigate the ongoing water and power shortages, Business Recorder has learnt.

The government of Pakistan and Chinese Exim Bank have already signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for $700 million credit line as buyer's credit for construction of small and medium sized dams. The Central Development Working Party (CDWP) of Planning Commission in its meeting in July 2009 had approved 12 small and medium sized dams.

Sources in Economic Affairs Division (EAD) told Business Recorder that a delegation from Pakistan had recently visited China. During talks, Pakistan side requested Chinese authorities to immediately release the pledged sum of $700 million for construction of small and medium dams.

The government has planned construction of 12 small and medium dams in four provinces in the first phase. The Water and Power Development Authority (Wapda) has been assigned the task of constructing these 12 dams including Hingol Dam, Naulong Dam, Garuk Dam, Pelar Dam and Winder Dam in Balochistan province, and Nai Gaj Dam, Darwat Dam and Sita Dam in Sindh; Bara Dam and Daraban Zam Dam in NWFP and Ghabir Dam and Papin Dam in Punjab, for which the Authority has invited bids.

According to sources, bids for construction of 2 dams--Winder and Darwat--had been received and contract were awarded. The bids for Ghabir Dam had also been received, which are being evaluated.

Under the Prime Minister's special initiatives programmes for overcoming water and power shortages, seven dams will be built in Sindh at a cost of Rs 12.640 billion, eight dams in NWFP costing Rs 18.135 billion, seven dams in Balochistan at a cost of Rs 29.568 billion and six dams in Punjab for Rs 5.949 billion.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2010
http://http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=1040911&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

a very interesting website about all Hydropower projects in Pakistan (completed, proposed, under construction or whatever you name it). Shared this website many times before but i still believe its worth sharing again n again. Its little outdated now after the revised design of Bunji and few other projects but still most of the figures are correct.

Projects

Back
Top Bottom