What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

Some members in PDF keep on reminding all of us that the USA has the longest experience in building up and operating the aircraft carriers, if not mistaken for 70 years or so... and this long tenure also affects many aspect incl. the material science and so on....

One will have to ask objectively if the entire 70-year long or so is really relevant nowadays?

IMO I think much possibly just the last 10 years or even shorter period is what truly relevant in view of the rapid technological progresses! This kind of thinking is applicable across all fields not only the aircraft carrier matters in particular or military aspects in general. China only needs to focus on the latest developments within the last decade or even less, and for sure not the entire period involving the many obsolete things today.

Or does anyone here assume that China (or Russia) really needs another 70-years to level up the experiences in constructing and operating its aircraft carrier fleet vis-à-vis the USA because the USA already started up about 70 years ago? Then while they're chasing in future the USA will be keeping on moving to create a permanent lead just because it started first... :-)

Right it takes some time to catch up and get used... but the 70-year benchmark is definitely a myth rather than a substance! :lol: LOL

Technology wise, you're right. But there is one advantage with the longer experience of Carrier development. Specially 70 years of experience in using the Carrier in military operations. It's the knowledge of how to use Carrier properly in battle. They have better knowledge in how to use Carrier in battle; while PLAN still have to learn and invent their own doctrine. Training alone won't be enough. As long as you don't have prior experience in how to use Carrier in a military operation. Because no body in the navy know what they will expected when they are engage in real battle.

Rumors that construction of 8.5m tons class "002" has been started since 2016, cross sections expected to be unveil in 2017 【谈兵第38期】其次的未知是,002航母是否已经开始开工建设?乐观的看法认为002航母在2016年已经开工,甚至2017年中就可以看到分段合拢,但目前为止未有任何确定开工的官方消息的蛛丝马迹,也没有任何分段的卫星图片可以证实。归根到底,连在哪里建都存在争议,是否已经开始动工就更加无从确定。

CKNAx0e.jpg
mrlds6N.jpg

http://dy.163.com/v2/article/detail/CGT6K5E60515D1P9.html

Some interesting information on the Type 002 vessel via SDF/"jobjed":

Along with more information about 057/054B, fzgfzy also shared a bunch about 002.
  • He believes, after gather information from numerous sources, that work on the first 002 began at JNCX at the end of last year. There also could be one at Dalian but there definitely is one at JNCX.
  • Steam vs EMALS competition has ended. EMALS was deemed superior. However, he personally hasn't heard of the navy ordering EMALS components whereas steam catapult components were ordered years ago. Steam might have won due to sheer readiness. This suggests that EMALS will not be on 002 initially but will be adopted on future ships and might be retrofitted onto 002s during their MLUs.
  • He acknowledges that the PLAN commander did not visit JNCX like he did for HDZH's 075 but this is likely due to the newness of the JNCX carrier facility. The paths in the facility are still rough and the mess hall probably isn't ready either.
  • Additionally, the modules possibly haven't been built up to a level that would warrant inspection by the PLAN commander.
  • The displacement of the 002 is slightly less than 80,000 tonnes.

http://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2377750-1-1.html

Hmmmm ...

View attachment 388370

But wasn't the one on the left (or here on top) said to be the EMALS, the one with the J-15A and UAV being tested??

View attachment 388373

... or indeed the EMALS is the lower one, but then these reports are wrong.

View attachment 388376

It is self-evident, is it not? :partay:

It looks like the construction of two Type 002 flattops using steam catapult(knowing how conservative the PLA is:D) will begin within months of each other.:enjoy:

It looks like the construction of two Type 002 flattops using steam catapult(knowing how conservative the PLA is:D) will begin within months of each other.:enjoy:

Would make sense; one at Shanghai and the other at Dalian, but my question was what catapult is the EMALS ??

by most report I know it was said to be the one on the left or on to, but now it seems reversed !

of 8.5m tons class "002"

I'm guessing 85K tons would be enough ...
Or how do you spell Death Star carrier in Mandarin?

http://thediplomat.com/2017/02/chinas-aircraft-carriers-full-steam-ahead/

For once, I'll wonder if the Diplomat didn't get it just right and back
cirr with 2 002s coming.

Are those the tracks from a new base that I missed in post #379?
They look like pictures of Huangdicun from a long time ago. Those
red hangars a bit askew and the blue building are similar.

2016-09-22.png

Read you all soon, have a great day, Tay.

Last edited:

Of course, it is obvious and for quite some time now... all part of emerging PLAN doctorine.

Any thoughts on powertrain? Conventional or nuclear?

I don't read anyone here guessed earlier that China would be building up two Type-002 simultaneously :-)

I recall Real Admiral Yin Zhuo once said that there are at least four major ship builders / shipyards that are capable of building aircraft carrier, so not only Dalian and JNCX.

But again, do not expect China to follow the USA's footsteps in operating the twelve aircraft carriers, China simply does not have such militaristic needs even though it has quite the required resources to do so.

Nevertheless the 2025 is quite within reach :coffee:

From a reputable cjdby member: rumors that due to the "PLA reform" and under uncertain surrounding situation of China, "two 002 aircraft-carrier will be built" but so far cannot be confirm (002是不是2条还不能确定。这次军改+国际形势的变化。航母总数有2派看法,目前没有听说定论)
EVvPlXc.png

http://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2378234-1-1.html

Third China-made aircraft carrier could be nuclear-powered: expert
(People's Daily Online) 16:15, April 14, 2017

As China's second aircraft carrier, and the country's first domestically built carrier, approaches its launch, experts predict that the third China-made carrier will see dramatic breakthroughs, such as the use of nuclear power and the capability for an electromagnetic launch.

Military expert Xu Guangyu made this forecast during an interview with BTV.

"The first domestically built carrier is likely to be like the Liaoning [China's first aircraft carrier]. It will be conventionally powered and use a ski-jump take-off, whereas the second one is likely to use a catapult take-off ... The third one, however, will benefit from major breakthroughs,and may even be nuclear-powered," Xu said.

According to Defense Ministry spokesperson Wu Qian at a briefing on March 30, the first domestically built carrier is being outfitted with equipment, and work on it is progressing smoothly.

Military experts have agreed that the independent design and manufacturing of the carrier signifies remarkable progress in China's national defense industry. While it is not the most advanced carrier in the world, it satisfies the demands of China's national condition.

"The development of Chinese aircraft carriers is a slow but steady process. From platform construction to personnel training, it's all gradual," Xu said.

And if he would say the sky is pink, would you simply believe him without doubt ? Would the sky be pink only due to his statement?

Deino,you don't understand Chinese people. In China, for a highly respectable man,his or her words in public matter a LOT.
If one like Ma Weiming(a general, a respectable scientist, an Academician of CAE,) dare to lie or even talk big in public, this could be considered as suicide, because lie or talk big can't do any good to him and will be unveiled sooner or later which will destroy one's reputation completely, so no one want do this stupid thing.
As a top EMALS expert in this planet, Academician Ma definitely know the technical level of both countries, and he is believable and trustworthy, so I simply trust his statements. I think all Chinese members here have similar ideas.

Deino,you don't understand Chinese people. In China, for a highly respectable man,his or her words in public matter a LOT.
If one like Ma Weiming(a general, a respectable scientist, an Academician of CAE,) dare to lie or even talk big in public, this could be considered as suicide, because lie or talk big can't do any good to him and will be unveiled sooner or later which will destroy one's reputation completely, so no one want do this stupid thing.
As a top EMALS expert in this planet, Academician Ma definitely know the technical level of both countries, and he is believable and trustworthy, so I simply trust his statements. I think all Chinese members here have similar ideas.

As I wasn't mainland Chinese, I can't say much about this, Ma perhaps can talk 'big' as top brass, but as well-known scientist it's meaning as same as shooting his own foot, his word will mean nothing anymore and he can kiss goodbye to his career. But again there's nothing best than time to tested his word.

Back
Top Bottom