What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

What is the progress of domestics nuclear reactor? I think it's the only hindrance of EMALS taking place.

The assertion that the sky is pink can be disproven by looking up at the color of the sky. However, Ma Weiming's claim regarding the EMALS cannot be disproven so easily. Therefore, we are still left with the fact that he made the statements. He has never retracted his statements. In fact, he continues to say it again and again.

The burden of proof is on Ma Weiming himself. If you want more information, you should set up an interview with him.
If you insists that the burden of proof is upon someone else, then you have no business taking his claim as true. You should exercise doubt like the rest of us. But since you believe Ma and you are evangelizing his claim, then you equally share the burden of proof.

Christians tells you about their God that He is real. You insists that they prove it one way or another before you convert. See the comparison ?

If Ma's claim cannot be disproved, then neither can it be proved. The only way to prove that China's mastery of the EMALS is superior to the Americans is to actually have a working aircraft carrier using it. Not only that, the system must be used under combat tempo. Not in combat, but in combat TEMPO.

Just in case you do not what the word 'tempo' means...

1. MUSIC
    the speed at which a passage of music is or should be played.
    synonyms: speed, cadence, rhythm, beat, time, pulse;

2. the rate or speed of motion or activity; pace.
You cannot simulate that on land because the system is supposed to be used at sea.

The Chinese aircraft carrier that is equipped with EMALS must prove that it can launche aircrafts at a faster pace than the American steam system. Not only that, since different classes of aircrafts have different take off weight, the Chinese EMALS must prove that it can adapt to those differences faster than the American steam system.

When will we see this ?

If Chinese really wanted to it could simply transplant its nuclear reactor design on the 093/095 SSNs like the French did for its carrier but the Charles DuGaulle has been plagued by technical problems dealing with its nuclear powerplant.

However, I haven't heard any substantial information nuclear reactor implementation regarding CVN-02, though I think it may be possibility that they're taking their time and may want to use a navalization of its ACP-100S multipurpose modular reactors for its carrier.

China has independently developed the shipborne reactor apart from the nuclear submarines, since the Charles de Gaulle was a valuable lesson for us to learn from it.

If you insists that the burden of proof is upon someone else, then you have no business taking his claim as true. You should exercise doubt like the rest of us. But since you believe Ma and you are evangelizing his claim, then you equally share the burden of proof.

Christians tells you about their God that He is real. You insists that they prove it one way or another before you convert. See the comparison ?

If Ma's claim cannot be disproved, then neither can it be proved. The only way to prove that China's mastery of the EMALS is superior to the Americans is to actually have a working aircraft carrier using it. Not only that, the system must be used under combat tempo. Not in combat, but in combat TEMPO.

Just in case you do not what the word 'tempo' means...

1. MUSIC
    the speed at which a passage of music is or should be played.
    synonyms: speed, cadence, rhythm, beat, time, pulse;

2. the rate or speed of motion or activity; pace.
You cannot simulate that on land because the system is supposed to be used at sea.

The Chinese aircraft carrier that is equipped with EMALS must prove that it can launche aircrafts at a faster pace than the American steam system. Not only that, since different classes of aircrafts have different take off weight, the Chinese EMALS must prove that it can adapt to those differences faster than the American steam system.

When will we see this ?

The burden of proof is on the person making an assertion or proposition. I've done no such thing in this thread. I am merely reporting what someone else said in the same way a journalist would.

The one thing I can prove is that Ma Weiming is considered a "national-treasure-class" scientist. I assume the man is aware of the scientific method and is responsible enough to have evidence before making a statement of fact. On the other hand, you can't expect Ma Weiming to divulge classified informaton concerning the Chinese EMALS to a reporter. Thus we are left with only his current statements.

On a side note, another example of a Chinese "national-treasure-class" scientist would be this founder of NASA JPL.
Qian Xuesen SpaceX Twitter post.JPG

Hopefully NASA JPL wasn't founded by a liar and a conman.

The burden of proof is on the person making an assertion or proposition. I've done no such thing in this thread. I am merely reporting what someone else said in the same way a journalist would.

The one thing I can prove is that Ma Weiming is considered a "national-treasure-class" scientist. I assume the man is aware of the scientific method and is responsible enough to have evidence before making a statement of fact. On the other hand, you can't expect Ma Weiming to divulge classified informaton concerning the Chinese EMALS to a reporter. Thus we are left with only his current statements.

On a side note, another example of a Chinese "national-treasure-class" scientist would be this founder of NASA JPL.
View attachment 383005

Hopefully NASA JPL wasn't founded by a liar and a conman.
There's a good BIOPIC of Qian Xuesen 钱学森 (or Hsue-Shen Tsien as he's more widely known in the Western publications), released in 2012, previously this hard-coded CN-EN bilingual movie can be found in youtube but now all HQ ones are gone :-) luckily the torrent keeps a good copy at even higher resolution (4.36 GB). Just search for its hash code: 269D8BEF56F10D3D066EBE33832BDF51BA1C790D

Witnessing the dynamics of China's aerospace today brings a good remembrance of this great scientist (in fact Mr. Qian was one of the greatest scientists in the world in the 20th century). China owes this man a lot for its great achievements in rocketry and aerospace!

Last edited:
Professor Qian was a genius who was the founder of space/rockets/satelites/missiles technologies of China including the abroad institute.

His efforts were still there and effect the HGV developments of China. Show your respects! Guys.

I assume the man is aware of the scientific method and is responsible enough to have evidence before making a statement of fact.
And I will assume that Herr Ma is smart enough to know that the ultimate and final test is the one where the widget operates UNRESTRAINED in its environment.

On the other hand, you can't expect Ma Weiming to divulge classified informaton concerning the Chinese EMALS to a reporter. Thus we are left with only his current statements.
You do not have to tell me this, after all, I once held a classified information clearance level. Even so, see my above statement regarding final proof.

And I will assume that Herr Ma is smart enough to know that the ultimate and final test is the one where the widget operates UNRESTRAINED in its environment.

You do not have to tell me this, after all, I once held a classified information clearance level. Even so, see my above statement regarding final proof.
@gambit - HOW are we -- here at PDF -- supposed to know that you truly held such clearance level at once?
I wonder whether there is any proof to attest your claim.

According to Sina news, China plan to build 10 or more aircraft carriers, the first batch will be 6 aircraft carriers, including conventinal powered and nuclear powered ones.

According PLA major general Yin Zhuo, there are at least 4 major ship building corp in China can be used to build CVs, the two ship yards in Shanghai and Dalian along can build 2 CVs, 2 large Landing Attack ship and 8 DDGs at the same time, so the capability is there.

http://mil.news.sina.com.cn/jssd/2017-03-13/doc-ifychhuq4220077.shtml

Some members in PDF keep on reminding all of us that the USA has the longest experience in building up and operating the aircraft carriers, if not mistaken for 70 years or so... and this long tenure also affects many aspect incl. the material science and so on....

One will have to ask objectively if the entire 70-year long or so is really relevant nowadays?

IMO I think much possibly just the last 10 years or even shorter period is what truly relevant in view of the rapid technological progresses! This kind of thinking is applicable across all fields not only the aircraft carrier matters in particular or military aspects in general. China only needs to focus on the latest developments within the last decade or even less, and for sure not the entire period involving the many obsolete things today.

Or does anyone here assume that China (or Russia) really needs another 70-years to level up the experiences in constructing and operating its aircraft carrier fleet vis-à-vis the USA because the USA already started up about 70 years ago? Then while they're chasing in future the USA will be keeping on moving to create a permanent lead just because it started first... :-)

Right it takes some time to catch up and get used... but the 70-year benchmark is definitely a myth rather than a substance! :lol: LOL

Some members in PDF keep on reminding all of us that the USA has the longest experience in building up and operating the aircraft carriers, if not mistaken for 70 years or so... and this long tenure also affects many aspect incl. the material science and so on....

One will have to ask objectively if the entire 70-year long or so is really relevant nowadays?

IMO I think much possibly just the last 10 years or even shorter period is what truly relevant in view of the rapid technological progresses! This kind of thinking is applicable across all fields not only the aircraft carrier matters in particular or military aspects in general. China only needs to focus on the latest developments within the last decade or even less, and for sure not the entire period involving the many obsolete things today.

Or does anyone here assume that China (or Russia) really needs another 70-years to level up the experiences in constructing and operating its aircraft carrier fleet vis-à-vis the USA because the USA already started up about 70 years ago? Then while they're chasing in future the USA will be keeping on moving to create a permanent lead just because it started first... :-)

Right it takes some time to catch up and get used... but the 70-year benchmark is definitely a myth rather than a substance! :lol: LOL
At most time of 70 years, they are wasting long period repeating same things. All we need is technology breakthrough. After 70 years they have EMALS and we have too. Maybe experience of combat deployment still lag behind.

Update: it seems that the Chinese Navy is leaning more towards the J-20 as their next-gen carrier-borne fighter than the FC-31.

Back
Top Bottom