What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

The MHI boilers have a main steam pressure of 27.5MPa, the main steam temperature of 605°C and a reheat steam temperature of 603°C.
That Chinese boiler commissioned in 2006

View attachment 696516
The Kitty Hawk used a boiler with 8,300 kPa, while Chinese Ultra-Supercritical Pressure Boilers is 27.5MPa, the main steam temperature of 605°C.

I bet China is capable to build a much more efficient/compact boiler as well as steam turbines than Kitty Hawk.

I think space, weight and efficiency are some constrains. Please see my another post for more details.
The better way is increasing the pressure, and temperature of boiler, as well as improving the steam turbines
Ultra-supercritical pressure boilers

Yet the A1B twin reactors are 13-14 times more efficient for generating the electric power than the boilers of the Kitty Hawk.

And are you sure that the new boilers could be 13-14 times more powerful than the boilers of the Kitty Hawk? It is only 3 times at best.

That's why they have ditched the original Type 002 with steam catapults.

Yet the A1B twin reactors are 13-14 times more efficient for generating the electric power than the boilers of the Kitty Hawk.

And are you sure that the new boilers could be 13-14 times more powerful than the boilers of the Kitty Hawk? It is only 3 times at best.

That's why they have ditched the original Type 002 with steam catapults.
Of course not. I am sure conventional boiler are bigger and less power compact than A1B, far inferior.
But as I pointed out, it's far better than nothing.

China national interest need 3-4 carrier to deter India asap, huge interest along the sea route.

While 20 billions USD extra expense is not a thing compare with that national interest.

I prefer to delay the project if our rival not yet gang up, but they do gang up as QUAD.

China has tremendous advantage in Aksai Chin, along the land border. But India has a lot of geography advantage in Indian Ocean. So China need carriers no matter what we have on the shelves.

A less powered 003 is still 1000 times better than none.

As long as China have upper hands on both land border and Sea Route, India will be very cautious to join the QUAD, so that China has the preferred terms on diplomacy.

Cold War or hot war, whatever has started. Better equipped than sorry.

Of course not. I am sure conventional boiler are bigger and less power compact than A1B, far inferior.
But as I pointed out, it's far better than nothing.

China national interest need 3-4 carrier to deter India asap, huge interest along the sea route.

While 20 billions USD extra expense is not a thing compare with that national interest.

I prefer to delay the project if our rival not yet gang up, but they do gang up as QUAD.

China has tremendous advantage in Aksai Chin, along the land border. But India has a lot of geography advantage in Indian Ocean. So China need carriers no matter what we have on the shelves.

A less powered 003 is still 1000 times better than none.

As long as China have upper hands on both land border and Sea Route, India will be very cautious to join the QUAD, so that China has the preferred terms on diplomacy.

Cold War or hot war, whatever has started. Better equipped than sorry.

Also, you are comparing apple to orange.

The boiler you mentioned is a coal-fired/land based one, it is vastly different from the oil-fired/shipborne ones used by the aircraft carriers like Liaoning/Shandong/Kitty Hawk.

BTW, China's current shipborne nuclear reactor is much more reliable than its boiler technology.

Everything has its first time, and the Type 003 will be the first trial.

Please do your basic homework before asking any simple questions.
There are tons of threads on PDF you can search and get the answer all by yourself.
View attachment 696496

View attachment 696497

View attachment 696498
Thousands of miles from the home and in front of the enemy its not possible,its only viable in near China like SCS/MALACCA STRAIT ONLY

Thousands of miles from the home and in front of the enemy its not possible,its only viable in near China like SCS/MALACCA STRAIT ONLY
That's not the problem of refueling, but tactic.
You should not risk your carrier to the sea water where you can't protect itself.
If the generals are that stupid, no matter what weapon you have, you will lose the war.
Also, you are comparing apple to orange.

The boiler you mentioned is a coal-fired/land based one, it is vastly different from the oil-fired/shipborne ones used by the aircraft carriers like Liaoning/Shandong/Kitty Hawk.

BTW, China's current shipborne nuclear reactor is much more reliable than its boiler technology.

Everything has its first time, and the Type 003 will be the first trial.
boiler is a pressure container + pipe. As long as your materials are good enough, you can keep increasing the pressure and temp.

PLEASE every poster in this Column.... please do not fill up this MAJOR THREAD entertaining silly posts, let people like that believe WHATEVER they wish, do not entertain them thus derailing this thread! There is simply no point to try to convince or correct whatever one wanna believe... let folks like that have their own faith... just care less... do not sacrifice this thread!!! :pdf:

Thank you for the cooperation!

That's not the problem of refueling, but tactic.
You should not risk your carrier to the sea water where you can't protect itself.
If the generals are that stupid, no matter what weapon you have, you will lose the war.
Anyways your wishes of that's type 3 will have boilers is not going to happen it will have either gas turbine or NUCLEAR reactors, your boilers has no chances to be installed on type 3 aircraft carrier

boiler is a pressure container + pipe. As long as your materials are good enough, you can keep increasing the pressure and temp.

Keep in mind that the CV-17 was built almost a decade later than the aforementioned coal-fired boiler, but it still uses the underpowered Soviet boilers, so China currently doesn't possess any more powerful boiler.

Also keep in mind that a supercarrier is projected to have a lifespan of approximately 50 years, and they won't build a white elephant for 50 years.
Anyways your wishes of that's type 3 will have boilers is not going to happen it will have either gas turbine or NUCLEAR reactors, your boilers has no chances to be installed on type 3 aircraft carrier

Yep, the boiler is pretty much a lost cause, since China doesn't have any super powerful boiler to power the Type 003.

If the Type 003 has a single island structure, then it would be nuclear powered for sure.

If it has a twin island structure, then they are going to use the gas turbines.

Keep in mind that the CV-17 was built almost a decade later than the aforementioned coal-fired boiler, but it still uses the underpowered Soviet boilers, so China currently doesn't possess any more powerful boiler.

Also keep in mind that a supercarrier is projected to have a lifespan of approximately 50 years, and they won't build a white elephant for 50 years.

Yep, the boiler is pretty much a lost cause, since China doesn't have any super powerful boiler to power the Type 003.

If the Type 003 has a single island structure, then it would be nuclear powered for sure.

If it has a twin island structure, then they are going to use the gas turbines.
I am not sure 002 is using underpowered Soviet boilers, so far 002 is running as fast as 001, 30+ knot.
As long as 002 power needs met, nothing wrong to use similar boiler of 001, so that the maintenance will be easier.

Not always best weapons& equipment be used, cost will be considered as well.

I am sure 003 will use something else than 002. But nuclear reactor will be a little bit too optimistic.

I am not sure 002 is using underpowered Soviet boilers, so far 002 is running as fast as 001, 30+ knot.
As long as 002 power needs met, nothing wrong to use similar boiler of 001, so that the maintenance will be easier.

I am sure 003 will use something else than 002. But nuclear reactor will be a little bit too optimistic.
oh troll what about power to weight ratio, in the long run nuclear reactors have more advantages over boilers, boilers has more wear and tear hence more maintenance prone than nuclear reactors, and your wishes worth nothing PLAAN might go with latest tech/trends (gas turbine or Nuclear reactors) for Type -3 carriers

The Type 002 is just a 60,000 tonnes carrier with ski-jump, whereas the Type 003 is at least 50% heavier with the EMALS, AAG, and more upgraded dual band radars.

The Type 003 is a much larger and more powerful ship with much more intricate technologies.

The boilers of the Type 002 are simply unsuitable for the Type 003.

The Type 002 is just a 60,000 tonnes carrier with ski-jump, whereas the Type 003 is at least 50% heavier with the EMALS, AAG, and more upgraded dual band radars.

The Type 003 is a much larger and more powerful ship with much more intricate technologies.

The boilers of the Type 002 is simply unsuitable for the Type 003.
My opinions were provided. We will see.

My opinions were provided. We will see.
You want old early to mid 20th century's technology into 21st century modern aircraft carriers of China???

Boilers were common when there were no gas turbine and nuclear reactors techs (before 60s) available for Naval ships when these technologies available for Naval ships they were relying less and less on boilers technology and discarded their older ship which had have boiler power plants

Back
Top Bottom