What's new

CV-17 Shandong - Type 002 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

593b1754ly1fq8jn76yxcj21gi13d4qp.jpg

593b1754ly1fq8jnb7v35j21gi13d7wh.jpg

Beautiful.

So China plans to build 4 aircraft carriers?

How long did it take to construct Lioaning and Type 002? It feels as though second one is facing sea trials much faster than the first one.

Beautiful.

So China plans to build 4 aircraft carriers?

How long did it take to construct Lioaning and Type 002? It feels as though second one is facing sea trials much faster than the first one.
Why didn't you try to read back several pages earlier in this thread, let say just 10-20 pages back, then you may grasp better idea before you just jumped in from nowhere???
Now back to your question, what time frame did you mean?
By 2025 I predict it should be more than four units (in operation + under construction)
By 2030, expect something around 6 to 8 units, in operation plus under construction
Eventually China may keep around 8 to 10 units of CV around that decade, up to economy condition and necessity. Once the CV-17 is done, I expect Dalian to soon build the 004 as JNCX in Shanghai is now building the 003 (expect to see the ship block in late 2018 or 2019). By the 005 I expect it's a CVN. That's all I can say at the moment.

Last edited:
Guys, what's your prediction that CV-17 may conduct the sea trials on around 23 April judging from the latest pictures? Henri Kenhmann (East Pendulum) in his latest tweet implicitly thinks CV-17 may possibly miss that time frame. I think it's still feasible :-)

Here's his tweet:
“Things are moving forward, but the second Chinese aircraft carrier does not seem to be ready for its first test at sea as some sources say since last year.”

Single digit will be a nice number for Chinese ac. Put the rest of the available money into submarines.

rubbish, at least 10

There is no credible strategic, doctrine or policy reason for PLAN fielding (and, most importantly, having to service) at least 10 aircraft carriers.

None.

To be more specific, the compatible number of carrier groups with the current PLAN doctrine, as expressed by late Admiral Liu Huaqing and supported by CPC is:

One carrier group per fleet (3 fleets)
One carrier group for the far seas
One group in training
One or two groups in repair/maintenance.

This gives a total of 6 or 7 carriers as the end goal.

Last edited:
There is no credible strategic, doctrine or policy reason for PLAN fielding (and, most importantly, having to service) at least 10 aircraft carriers.

None.
Are you disputing the reliability of this information? It was broadcasted on the news, so you know more than we do?

Are you disputing the reliability of this information? It was broadcasted on the news, so you know more than we do?

I am not disputing anything really, just listing credible requirements. Where, when and how was this broadcasted?

Back
Top Bottom