What's new

Cricket: The final verdict of Pakistani Trio

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ICC is going to decide the fate of Pakistani Trio (Mohammad Aamir, Asif and Salman Butt) so what do you think the decision is going to be?

We are going to hear the announcement soon so I am waiting :rolleyes:

A look at charges accused trio face
Ahmed Rizvi
Last Updated: Jan 6, 2011

Ahmed Rizvi examines the charges and allegations against Salman Butt, Mohammad Aamer and Mohammad Asif in the spot-fixing scandal.

Salman Butt

According to the News of the World, "[Mazhar] Majeed identified young Pakistan captain Salman Butt as the ringleader of the band of cheats."

Butt, along with wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, was on the radar of the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) before the scandal broke. The ACSU had sent him and Akmal notices after the 2010 World Twenty20 in the Caribbean.

The notices might have been related to the text messages exchanged between Majeed and Butt before the match against South Africa. According to media reports, Majeed sent Butt text messages on three different mobile numbers, which were registered in England, Dubai and the West Indies - the last number was reportedly provided to the player by the team management.

In the first SMS, Majeed asked Butt if he talked with "that person", to which Butt replied "yes".

In the second SMS, Majeed wanted to know what Butt thought about the "second thing, first [wicket] in seventh [over] and second in eighth [over]".

In the third SMS, he asked Butt to confirm about losing a wicket each in the seventh and eighth over.

Mohammad Aamer, according to media reports, has also told teammates that he was just doing what Butt had asked him to.

Mohammad Aamer

The News of the World alleged that Aamer delivered no-balls just as Majeed had promised. He overstepped the line when bowling the first ball of the third over of the innings by a big margin.

"You don't see that too often," Ian Botham, the former England all-rounder commenting on TV, said at the time when Aamer was bowling to Alastair Cook.

"How far was that, woah," commented Michael Holding, the former West Indies fast bowler, after Aamer's second no-ball. "It's like net bowling," Botham said.

This was the third no-ball that Majeed had promised the undercover reporter. Butt did have a word with Aamer just before that ball and Holding said on TV: "A quick conference between captain and the bowler. Hasn't resulted in the field being changed. Not yet."

Aamer finished the innings with five wickets, including three in the space of nine balls and after the day's play, rather ironically now, he said: "At Lord's, I wanted my name on the (honours) board and I did it."

After being accused, the 18-year-old, according to Pakistan media reports, confessed to team management that he was "completely unaware of what was going on" and had "just followed Butt's instructions".

In the News of the World tapes, though, Majeed is seen calling Aamer on the eve of the match and saying, "We've spoken about everything before anyway."

Before the start of the second day's play, Majeed contacts the undercover reporter again and says, "He's [Aamer] briefed up. He's just texted me now to say 'Shall I do it or not?'."

Mohammad Asif

Asif, who had been suspended in 2006 failing a dope test and was arrested at Dubai airport for possession of drugs, has been the quietest of the three since the spot-fixing story broke. He opted out of the appeal against suspension in October and has maintained a low profile since. The seamer was the No 2 bowler in the ICC's Test rankings when he was suspended.

Asif is accused of deliberately bowling a no-ball.

"These three are definitely happening," Majeed tells the undercover reporter on the News of the World tapes. "They've all been organised, okay? ... the tenth over. Who's bowling it?" asks the reporter. "Asif will be bowling it," replies Majeed.

Asif did bowl the no-ball at the time promised by Majeed, but he did not overstep as blatantly as Aamer.

"The one at my end from Asif was not a helluva lot over," umpire Tony Hill, who officiated at the Lord's Test, told the Dominion Post.

"He is generally pretty accurate [with his front foot]."

A look at charges accused trio face - The National

There is no solid evidence against these 3 players
1 video with only one person counting currency notes and same person is shown in other pictures with these players but anyone can turn up as a FAN by some links (media) and get those pictures.
ICC should have waited for Scotland Yard reports but as ICC is mostly now under Indian influence they cannot wait also they will put punishment just as they want to give Pakistan a bad name...

The news of the world paper is knows in London for this sort of reporting

Well I agree they should have awaited for the final report from Scotland Yard and I am still confused how are they going to decide before the final report by the investigation team is submitted?

ICC is not an Intelligence agency working on behalf of the government. She must rely on Government agencies to distinguish between right and wrong

There is no solid evidence against these 3 players
1 video with only one person counting currency notes and same person is shown in other pictures with these players but anyone can turn up as a FAN by some links (media) and get those pictures.
ICC should have waited for Scotland Yard reports but as ICC is mostly now under Indian influence they cannot wait also they will put punishment just as they want to give Pakistan a bad name...

The news of the world paper is knows in London for this sort of reporting

OMG you had to get India into this to prove that they were innocent...

It was the English who had found out abt the spot fixing, not the Indians

OMG you had to get India into this to prove that they were innocent...

It was the English who had found out abt the spot fixing, not the Indians

when did i say it was indians who found this fixing ????
but the ICC is under indian management and they pushed the case up as here in london everyone knows what sort of reporting this news of the world paper do

Also "International Cricket Council chief Haroon Lorgat will be "disappointed" if a tribunal finds the Pakistan players accused of spot-fixing not guilty." even before Scotland Yard reports so its all fake under indian Haroon Lorgat

BBC Sport - Cricket - ICC chief Haroon Lorgat wants spot-fixing decision

Lahore, Jan 6(ANI): Suspended Pakistan Test captain Salman Butt's former lawyer has predicted that the International Cricket Council (ICC) may hand out long-term bans to the tainted trio- Butt, Mohammed Aamir and Mohammad Asif- at the ongoing anti-corruption tribunal hearing in Doha.

"I think the writing is on the wall for these three players," the Daily Times quoted Khalid Ranjha, as telling German radio station Deutsche Welle.
Ranjha represented Butt in his client's appeal hearing held by the ICC late October in Dubai, where the chairman of the ICC Code of Conduct Commission, Michael Beloff, rejected the appeals of Butt and Aamir.

"We wanted the ICC not to have Beloff heading the ICC tribunal for the full hearing which will decide on the charges against the three players," said the lawyer.

"Our argument was and still remains how can a person (Beloff) rule against his own decision and that was to reject their appeals two months back now at the full hearing, because the case boils down to the same causes," Ranjha told the radio station.

"It does not happen like this in law. That is why, I see the writing on the wall for these three players. I say it openly that the ICC has been biased against our players," he added.

Ranjha said the ICC anti-corruption unit had no evidence against the trio, except for the things provided to them by the British tabloid that had levelled the spot-fixing allegations.

"That is why now they are banking on Shahid Afridi and Waqar Younis to turn witnesses for them at the hearing," he added.

The seasoned lawyer pointed out that while Afridi and Waqar might be great cricketers, they had raised doubts over their intentions by giving statements to the ICC three months after the three players were suspended.

"I don't understand why these players and the security manager of the team waited for so long before giving their statements to the ICC in which they have cast shadows on the three players," he said.

"After such a long period even the evidence of the police is not permissible in any court of law." Ranjha added.

He also blamed the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for turning against the suspended trio by allowing Waqar and Afridi to appear as witnesses at the full hearing, but said that the outcome might be the same even without their statements.

"Even if Waqar and Afridi had not given statements, I don't think the outcome of the hearing would be any different. But by agreeing to appear as witnesses the two players have also damaged their own reputations," he said.

Ranjha also claimed that PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt kept on pressurising the lawyers representing the suspended players to step aside. (ANI)

What this fat a$$ is up to

What this fat a$$ is up to

Just coz this bharti International Cricket Council chief Haroon Lorgat wants something out of it and they want Pakistan out of cricket ....

^^ i fully agree with laviza, ICC wants pakistan to be a weak team so they r picking up on all the talented players..

oh man blame it on indians if you cannot handle it :disagree:

even if indians are doing it ,which i dont buy it. Why in the first place did your players give us such a chance to do so

just look at ur players always involved in the blame game
there is no unity in ur team and no unity in ur board and u still blame it on indians

first correct ur own house then think of fighting outsiders :disagree:

Last edited:
For criminal negligence in handling PCB and player's discipline affairs, Butt deserves to be sent to fountain house or Kot Lakhpat.

Am not sure about the purpose of announcement that if players are cleared, their names can be included in world cup squad by 19 Jan. Aamir seems to be optimistic. Are we heading towards good (I really doubt) or ICC wants to cover up statements of Haroon Lorgart about his disappointment, if players are not convicted.

choro whatever icc chahta hai ya nahi chahta hai

make your predictions about the outcome of this hearing :P

choro whatever icc chahta hai ya nahi chahta hai

make your predictions about the outcome of this hearing :P

no need for predictions as this bharti Haroon Lorgat already told the Beloff heading the ICC tribunal what he wants.....

:sniper::sniper: bharti Haroon Lorgat

Blame Blame Blame... Blame others for own misfortunes.. Very convenient exercise indeed.:oops:

Back
Top Bottom