What's new

‘Corridor’ threats to sovereignty

We have discussed about the transit many times but as many bhartis has strted to make lots of fuss and yout raised the issue of BILLION DOLLAR INVESTMENT and MILLION DOLLAR EARNING so I have decided to ask you some question?

Sure as long as they are sensible and to the topic being discussed, I will answer them.

Will you please care to tell me from where these BILLION OF DOLLAR investment will come from and how Bangladesh is going to earn millions ????

India is investing in Bangladesh and so are many Indian companies. This is Foreign direct investment. For example the Bharti Airtel deal. Apart from the money paid by the group, the company further pledged 300 Million dollars.

Bharti Airtel to invest $300m in Bangladesh - Emirates 24/7

Think about what such FDI can do to the telecom infrastructure in Bangladesh. I think you get the picture.

India is already getting free water and rail transit based on a treaty which was signed by indira Gandhi with a war torn country in 1972 using emotional blackmail India helped Bangladesh for liberation.

This year India asked to extend it up to 2016 obviously to enjoy free transit and to get free transit Indian government asked Bangladeshi government to withdraw the fees which was imposed by finance ministry and national board of revenue of bangladesh. As usual the stooge government of Hassina and awami league has cancelled the fees due to indian request and extend the transit time up to 2012. If it is not exploitation and lower graded emotional blackmail then what it is?

Free water ? Spare me.
Enlighten yourself about international water laws.
Understand the difference in Upper and Lower riparian rights

For the next section of cr*p. Now, don't whine about laws signed by people representing Bangladesh. If you cut a sorry figure because of your leaders, then take it up with your leaders. In this forum have some self respect.

N regarding road transit so far many theory has been heard but the latest is India will cover only the operation and maintenance fee and any damage done to the road due to usage of Indian truck.If every money goes on repair and operation and maintenance then how come bd will earn your MILLIONS OF DOLLAR income.?

Again, why don't you understand that the roads are in your country and if you have no roads then as a result of this deal you will get quality roads and they will get maintained too. Do you want me to list the benefits of a road network that will connect your west to east? I hope you are smart enough to figure out. If you can't then ask.. someone may point to a couple of links.

For your info to build the road network it will require 7 billion usd dollar. Even for the sake of your argument let's assume east to west gets connected .... Still will bangladesh make any profit... Even to recover the construction cost. instead if Bangladesh will invest the 7 billion in other projects for say 7000 mw of electricity generation then for sure it will contribute to a huge margin to the GDP growth. But if Bangladesh invest this 7 billion in transit to facilitate indian goods moving how much Bangladesh will profit.... Taking economic consideration in to account does it really make sense for Bangladesh to invest in it when there are many other threats are also associated with it. But still there is big question from where this 7 billion usd dollar will come from.

Ha ha. The road is built in Bangladesh and the estimate is that truck traffic due to India will be 0.1% of the total traffic on these proposed roads. Why should India be bothered about your profit. And if you seriously ask me a business driver for these roads, I will tell you to get educated in a college and I can help you with a recommendation. You are welcome to India for a masters course in Surface transport.

For starters, keep a toll plaza for all trucks and heavy vehicles using the road and keep a nominal cost of $2 per visit. Impose this on Indian trucks too. You will recover the cost.

Now I know you will talk about the 1 billion usd aid that India will provide to Bangladesh. But for your info that is not aid but loan.
True. It is a loan at a rate of interest where you can keep the interest difference as aid.

If it would be only loan then there would be no problem but the main issue is Indian government has assigned many clues in to it such as 85% of the goods or service should be procured from India. Only Indian contractors will inmlement the project. If can not provide any goods it should be provided by service provider selected by India. FINALLY THE BIG CLUE ONLY INDIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY WILL DECIDE WHICH ARE THE PROJECT TO BE IMPLEMENTED NOT BANGLADESHI GOVERNMENT. Now tell me is it really a aid or shoving the poor graded Indian goods and product to the throat of Bangladesh. If Indian would be a real well wisher it would ask Bangladesh select the best service provider through tender. Already many people raised object for the issue including the financial adviser of the previous caretaker government Dr. Akbar Ali khan. He raised the question under which circumstances hassina signed the deal. Under this Bangladesh will virtually have no bargaining power as everything will decide by India and service will be provide by India.

Again whining. No purpose. No result. Take it up with your leaders.

Public opinion has gone hugely against it not on one day. This hassina government was selling the dream for the last couple of year that Bangladesh will become Singapore if it provide the transit, then huge amount of money Bangladesh will earn. later it gradually fall down to 1 billion usd then India will provide only the operation and Mai tangence fee to free transit as to the adviser to hassina mashing Rahman it would be uncivilized to claim transit fee from India. now latest news has emerged that Bangladesh is not only providing free transit but also providing subsidy to the Indian truck as they are using all the petrol and fees which are subsidized only for Bangladeshi product. now tell me what any country's people react under such circumstances.

India is not in the business of managing BD's public opinion. Again no use telling me. Also as against domestic traffic, traffic due to transit from India is negligible.

It is not like that BNP, Jamat are against transit. They have asked for creation of win win situation. Khaleda Zia proposed for a mechanism where India will provide 70% of the amount that they will save. Definitily it will bring Indian truck drivers 30% savings along with a huge amount of time. But India and Al flatly denied this.

70% we have to pay for 0.1% of traffic ? I propose we pay as a percentage of traffic from India irrespective of what it is. If every vehicle on the road is Indian then we pay 100% of the cost. Deal ?

Just 1 question is rounding in my mind are the Indians are all begged that they have such cheap mentality where instead of making a win win situation they are just interested for free transit and miscuing the cow as much as possible. Eventually the probable result will be they will kill their golden goose and the stooge hassina at the same time.

Get your facts right is my last suggestion to you. Bangladesh is a country where stories are built and spun overnight and at a feverish pitch. Try to see the truth between all this drama.

70% we have to pay for 0.1% of traffic ? I propose we pay as a percentage of traffic from India irrespective of what it is. If every vehicle on the road is Indian then we pay 100% of the cost. Deal ?

All your rant comes down to this?

All the explaination put forward about are the added cost of allowing Indian traffic. We are just fine what we have right now and improving as the demand grows.
No need to put Indian traffic on the same shoes as of BD traffic as BD traffic gets subsidised services as they pay other taxes. For instance the owner of the vehicle pays income tax, sales tax and on top as a citizen of the country he provide services to the sate.

Now the 70% savings what the proposal was, if a indian trucker saves 100 taka for going to gowahati through bangladesh then BD can demand a part of that savings which could be 70 taka or 50 taka and can be negotiated.

Bangladesh never demanded $7 billion from India. We will pay for the roads, but we have to keep in mind the cost recovery and whether Indians could afford that kind fees. Seems to me NADA.

All your rant comes down to this?

All the explaination put forward about are the added cost of allowing Indian traffic. We are just fine what we have right now and improving as the demand grows.
No need to put Indian traffic on the same shoes as of BD traffic as BD traffic gets subsidised services as they pay other taxes. For instance the owner of the vehicle pays income tax, sales tax and on top as a citizen of the country he provide services to the sate.

Now the 70% savings what the proposal was, if a indian trucker saves 100 taka for going to gowahati through bangladesh then BD can demand a part of that savings which could be 70 taka or 50 taka and can be negotiated.

Bangladesh never demanded $7 billion from India. We will pay for the roads, but we have to keep in mind the cost recovery and whether Indians could afford that kind fees. Seems to me NADA.

Premise : No one is against transit. We want win win.
India should pay 70% for 0.1% of its traffic. I propose that we pay for the traffic we contribute. Just because you think you should take a U turn, not necessary the parties involved in signing the deal should. I don't think you understand logic in any case. I pay for what I use. If I am in a hotel, I pay for the duration I stay. Not for the construction cost of the hotel. I rest my case.

Your friend from Bangladesh on PDF did.

dude WTF...?? :undecided::undecided: ..Jiaozhou Bay bridge cost around $2.3 billion but then it is the worlds longest bridge ..!! but proposed Padma bridge is estimated around 3 bill$ as per wiki ..? why so .:what:
is it because its a road-rail bridge..?

Padma Bridge..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes india will benefit by building infra in bangladesh, too much cough syrup or what! 7 b dollars to upgrade highways, you guys took sonar bangla chant to your heart and planning to make roads of gold?

Bd is the best option but that doesn't mean theres no other options.

You guys claim India is a superpower and a super rich country, where every citizen goes to the Moon for a honeymoon. Yet, this super rich country wants to get a free ride over a poor country called Bangladesh. If India wants a transit through BD, it must pay to build the necessary infrastructure and to maintain it. The cost will be more than $7 billion for construction. Another $200 to $300 million will be needed per year for its maintenance.

India certainly has Shiliguri option. So, why it has been unable to build the infrastructure there during the last 63 years? Your best option would be to use the Burmese route. Goods arrive at a Burmese Port and are delivered through Burmese soil to the NE. Burma has a lot of barren lands, on which a road can be built with Indian money.

Do you guys have any idea how much ******* 7.2 billion are? :lol:

Do you guys know how much BD will be paying to build the Padma Bridge? It is about $3 billion. Any other questions?

You guys claim India is a superpower and a super rich country, where every citizen goes to the Moon for a honeymoon. Yet, this super rich country wants to get a free ride over a poor country called Bangladesh. If India wants a transit through BD, it must pay to build the necessary infrastructure and to maintain it. The cost will be more than $7 billion for construction. Another $200 to $300 million will be needed per year for its maintenance.

India certainly has Shiliguri option. So, why it has been unable to build the infrastructure there during the last 63 years? Your best option would be to use the Burmese route. Goods arrive at a Burmese Port and are delivered through Burmese soil to the NE. Burma has a lot of barren lands, on which a road can be built with Indian money.

ref....

Kaladan Multimodal Transit Transport Project: Latest News, Videos, Photos | Times of India

both india and myanmar has planned kaladan multimodal transit transport project for communication and trade improvement in NE india.

Kaladan-Multimodal-Transit-Transport-Project_1231980731.png

Do you guys know how much BD will be paying to build the Padma Bridge? It is about $3 billion. Any other questions?

AFAIK Padma Bridge depends on WB loan and they put stringent conditions which BD is yet to meet.

Padma Bridge in a quagmire

And you want India to construct another bridge for you when Indian vehicle won't make even 1% of total traffic!! :hitwall: Heck even US massive payback to Pakistan for WOT don't make 7 billion dollars.

Look all this non-viable conditions are being put to halt the transit, it's okay do practise your time tested 'Naak kete jatra bhongo' methodology, we will look out for other options(also make sure no Bangladeshi product enters in India and higher riparian right gets properly executed).

AFAIK Padma Bridge depends on WB loan and they put stringent conditions which BD is yet to meet.

And you want India to construct another bridge for you when Indian vehicle won't make even 1% of total traffic!! :hitwall: Heck even US massive payback to Pakistan for WOT don't make 7 billion dollars.

Look all this non-viable conditions are being put to halt the transit, it's okay do practise your time tested 'Naak kete jatra bhongo' methodology, we will look out for other options(also make sure no Bangladeshi product enters in India and higher riparian right gets properly executed).

Hey how about India building the bridge on BOT basis.

Hey how about India building the bridge on BOT basis.

This project is not in BOT offer. But there are others where you can participate on PPP basis. For instance Dhaka-Chittagong elevated expressway, Multiple expressways in Dhaka, Dhaka international airport where you can certainly participate with your best offer.

But keep in mind, those are really expensive project could cost you 3-7 billion in every project, and you got to pay with green back. No scope for Rupee payment and bring 3rd class material from India.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Its not in quagmire. But seems like communication minister tried some kick back. WB investigated and now the ball is in Hasian's court.

I think the Burma route costing just 120 million USD is much much better option. The only drawback is the moral downfall of doing business with a brutal military junta.

This project is not in BOT offer. But there are others where you can participate on PPP basis. For instance Dhaka-Chittagong elevated expressway, Multiple expressways in Dhaka, Dhaka international airport where you can certainly participate with your best offer.

But keep in mind, those are really expensive project could cost you 3-7 billion in every project, and you got to pay with green back. No scope for Rupee payment and bring 3rd class material from India.

So you will not built it and let others built it & thanks but no thanks we are not interested in building airports in your country. Nothing personal, strictly business.

So you will not built it and let others built it & thanks but no thanks we are not interested in building airports in your country. Nothing personal, strictly business.

what is the meaning of personal.....
2011-09-07__front02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom