What's new

Chris Cuomo predicts evidence will show coronavirus was spreading in US since October

vi-va

Reaction score
Country
China
Chris Cuomo predicts evidence will show coronavirus was spreading in US since October
April 17, 2020 12:33 PM

CNN host Chris Cuomo said he believes there will be revelations showing the novel coronavirus was spreading in the United States as early as October.

While discussing his wife's recent coronavirus diagnosis, the network host, who announced he tested positive for COVID-19 in a March 31 social media post, speculated that the virus may have begun spreading as early as fall 2019.

CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta started by asking, "You and Cristina both have tested positive. You're both having symptoms. So, maybe I'm missing something, but you guys can't be together now? ... But if you both have it, why can't you interact now?"

Cuomo then said officials don't presently know if someone diagnosed and recovered from COVID-19 could become reinfected. "In the abundance of caution, I could get reinfected, so they want us to stay separated. We do have completely different symptoms, which is, again, part of the weirdness," he said.

However, the host speculated that the coronavirus may have been in the U.S. earlier than experts suggest.

"The kids now anecdotally, Cristina believes, that at least two of them have had it in the last few months. Why? We don’t know, but atypically long-duration sinus, fever, lethargy. I think we’re going to learn that coronavirus has been in this country since, like, October, that there have been cases," Cuomo said.

"And as you guys both know, and I hear all the time from all over the country, how many people do you hear saying, 'I think I had it, I had this and this, I lost my sense of smell and this and that, but I never got tested'? Those cases are, like, abounding all over the country," he added.

The novel coronavirus pandemic is believed to have originated in Wuhan, China, late last year. The World Health Organization’s investigative report in February concluded that “early cases identified in Wuhan are believed to have acquired infection from a zoonotic source as many reported visiting or working in the Huanan Wholesale Seafood Market.”

The first confirmed case of the coronavirus in the U.S. was reported in Washington state on Jan. 21.

Reports this week said U.S. officials are increasingly considering the possibility that the outbreak began in a Wuhan laboratory and not in a market.

Back
Top Bottom