What's new

Chinese professor urges the government to offer parents 1 million yuan ($156,000) for each newborn child in a bid to shore up the country's birthrate

Another idea I can think of is free diapers, free pediatrist, free gynae, free epidural, free coverage for congenital diseases.

No need to sponsor milk. Mother should be encourage to breastfeed 100%.

Anyway it's just talk. Where do you find the money?

14.65mil * 1mil yuan = 14.65 trillion yuan

You gonna double all tax rates and land premiums?

Amortized over all the childhood years and paid mostly in services or assets the government already owns, this could Work, although I agree, 1 million yuan maybe too much for the government to handle. It will create jobs in social services. Similar to the caring economy the US is considering under Biden’s plan.

This will be one of the most crucial competitions amongst developed economies looking to shore up their birth rates and decrease their dependence upon immigration.

Either way, it comes from tax revenue, no?
yes, but unless they send cash, in most cases it won't cost as much. low income families pay little or no tax so tax relief don't benefit them. housing relief wont' help people who own their homes. you get the idea. 1mill yuan might be the upper limit of benefit per child but actual benefit varies between families.
No need to sponsor milk. Mother should be encourage to breastfeed 100%.
not every mother can afford to take a year off work to breastfeed.

yes, but unless they send cash, in most cases it won't cost as much. low income families pay little or no tax so tax relief don't benefit them. housing relief wont' help people who own their homes. you get the idea. 1mill yuan might be the upper limit of benefit per child but actual benefit varies between families.

not every mother can afford to take a year off work to breastfeed.

My take is career women and fertility rate is mutually exclusive. The leaders must ponder the trade off in increasing fertility by putting women at home, at the expense of at least 40% of GDP.

Putting women to work is sure way to drive a race to slow motion extinction.

One way is income tax cut for single breadwinner working class parent family.

Last edited:
My take is career women and fertility rate is mutually exclusive. The leaders must ponder the trade off in increasing fertility by putting women at home, at the expense of at least 40% of GDP.

Putting women to work is sure way to drive a race to slow motion extinction.

One way is income tax cut for single breadwinner working class parent family.
or you can offer free daycare so the mother can go back to work.

or you can offer free daycare so the mother can go back to work.

Trust me, your kid will be full of sht in those place, while the nannies only clean up and feed at a robotic frequency of 3 hours and nothing else.

Kids institutionalized there got a big cut in IQ and EQ.

Those nurseries for 3 years old are nothing better. Teachers treat all vibrant boys as disciplinary problem. Teachers are adamant of dumb down and stupidified your babies so that they do not have to deal with kids social needs.

Trust me, your kid will be full of sht in those place, while the nannies only clean up and feed at a robotic frequency of 3 hours and nothing else.

Kids institutionalized there got a big cut in IQ and EQ.

Those nurseries for 3 years old are nothing better. Teachers treat all vibrant boys as disciplinary problem. Teachers are adamant of dumb down and stupidified your babies so that they do not have to deal with kids social needs.
toddlers mostly just eat and sleep anyways. and for 3 year olds, it's better to send them to nurseries to develop social skills with other kids. better then being kept alone at home.

toddlers mostly just eat and sleep anyways. and for 3 year olds, it's better to send them to nurseries to develop social skills with other kids. better then being kept alone at home.

I am not sure you ever have a baby.

I no longer interested to talk about this topic with you.

Go read up.

China professor calls for million-yuan reward to boost birth rates
Reuters
May 12, 2021

A Chinese professor has urged the government to offer parents 1 million yuan ($156,000) for each newborn child in a bid to shore up the country's declining birth rate, sparking a debate on social media about the soaring costs of raising children.

China's population rose by its slowest rate in decades from 2010-2020, the country's latest census showed, raising fears that the country's dwindling workforce will be unable to support an increasingly elderly population. read more

Liang Jianzhang, professor at Peking University's School of Economics and also founder of travel service provider Ctrip, said in a video posted on his Weibo social media channel that it would cost 10% of China's GDP to raise birth rates from the current 1.3 to the replacement level of 2.1.

That amounts to 1 million yuan per child, and could be allocated in the form of cash, tax relief or housing subsidies, he said.

"I've spoken to a lot of young people ... if it's just a few tens of thousands of yuan it basically wouldn't encourage people to have another child," he said.

The costs would be offset by future contributions made to the economy, said Liang.

"If a family gives birth to another child, that child's future contributions to social security, to tax revenues, will exceed 1 million yuan," he said.

The comments were trending on Weibo on Tuesday night, with users debating whether it was a reasonable use of China's tax revenues, and whether 1 million yuan was even enough to cover educational costs.

"Having a child and not making the most of their talents is considered a crime in today's society," said a user posting under the name Not Old and Confused.

"It should be done as early as possible - if you wait a couple of years no one will want to give birth even for 2 million yuan," said another user named Rainy Wind.

($1 = 6.4285 yuan)

Someone is going overboard with these. China still needs to reduce its population. Major drop off should be avoided, but there is still need to keep the birth rate under replacement level.

Someone is going overboard with these. China still needs to reduce its population. Major drop off should be avoided, but there is still need to keep the birth rate under replacement level.
Wake up, birth rate is already far too low. The only reason population isn't dropping is because people are living longer.

It's soo much easier to become a millionaire these days

USD 156 000 x 7 kids = USD 10 92 000

Wake up, birth rate is already far too low. The only reason population isn't dropping is because people are living longer.

The target should be set below 1.8, not 2.1.

I don't think the Chinese government is worrying about this now. The total population is still too big. This is not the same as other developed countries. So they don't really want to keep 1.4 billion as the point. The only worry is the social insurance deficit but they are filling the gap with state owned shares.

Back
Top Bottom