What's new

Featured Chinese arrive in Argentina to negotiate sale of 12 JF-17 fighters

Numbers are too low to make an impact on any skirmish, If Argentina wants a round 2 with Brits they need a lot more than just 12 JF-17's, they need around 36-50 JF armed with Anti-ship, AA, and Air to Ground weapons, along with better ships, AD systems and much more.
That is true. Although I'd doubt they would just buy 12 jf17s and that's it. A follow up order would probably be announced soon.

Yep, as you say the military gap will get wider.

As another example, the Type-26 frigate will start coming into service in the latter half of this decade and 8 are planned as of now.

If one was loaded in the anti-air warfare role it could hold the following type and numbers of SAMs:

1. 48 Sea Ceptor - 25km range
2. 96 quad-packed ESSM SAMs in the 24 Mk 41 VLS cells with 50km range.

Whole of the Argentine airforce will have a job to do to sink even a single one of these!

The 2 QE carriers will likely be retrofitted with EMALs in mid-2040s and naval Tempest and whatever version of E-2X AWACs is available could be flying off them then. These carriers are so large that they can each hold up to 50 fighters and still be efficient at flight ops.
Actually our new type 26 won't be coming out later part of this decade, they will be launched i believe even earlier. Probably 2/3years from now i believe. Our new advanced type 26 frigates are already coming forward. Our little cousins Canada and Australia have already placed orders even before we started churning them out. Believe me many countries will soon be lining up to get them in future. They know our defence giants only make the best quality of products. 😊

BAE SYSTEMS RILLS OUT AFT BLOCK OF NAVY'S FIRST TYPE 26 FRIGATE.

message-editor_1500584172609-screenshot2017-07-20at10.12.57am.png
message-editor_1500584172609-screenshot2017-07-20at10.12.57am.png
BAE Systems has unveiled the aft block of the UK Royal Navy’s first City-class Type 26 frigate HMS Glasgow.

The aft block was unveiled to join the forward block at BAE’s Govan shipyard on the River

Clyde. Credit: BAE Systems.

BAE Systems has unveiled the aft block of the UK Royal Navy’s first City-class Type 26 frigate HMS Glasgow.

The aft block comprises the mission bay and hangar, which can support helicopters, boats, mission loads and disaster relief stores.

It was joined together with the forward block at BAE’s Govan shipyard on the River Clyde, revealing HMS Glasgow’s full size and scale for the first time.

BAE said that the flight deck of the frigate can land a Chinook helicopter for transport of embarked forces.

To bring the aft block out of the ship block into position to combine with the forward block, BAE’s Govan shipyard teams prepared and completed a set of complex manoeuvres.

The Type 26 advanced anti-submarine ships are designed to adapt to changing missions and provide required manpower and capabilities to meet challenges.

Each ship will be fitted with the Sea Ceptor missile defence system, a five-inch medium calibre gun, flexible mission bay, Artisan 997 Medium Range Radar, as well as towed array sonars.

Last July, BAE Systems announced new supply chain contracts worth over £100m as part of the Royal Navy’s Type 26 frigate programme.

The programme is supporting more than 4,000 jobs across the UK.

Set to replace the UK’s Type 23 frigates, the Type 26 ships are the original variant of the company’s Global Combat Ship (GCS).

Australia and Canada have both selected BAE Systems’ Type 26 Global Combat Ship (GCS) as the reference design for their anti-submarine frigate programmes.

Last edited:
Thunders are not much match for CAPTOR-E equipped Eurofighters or F35Bs, at least not in small numbers, only if you get the same amount of JFs as one EF or F35 is worth, you will have a superior fleet of JFs. But I request Pakistani members to not start a dick measuring contest with the brits, we have no fights with them, it’s best if the JF never gets used against them. Just be glad it’s getting exports.

Where is this road in the Pacific Ocean being built?

Prove I am Indian, I know your level very well - you are more than welcome to stay there.

Your post show that you dont have clue about it and just posting for ego.

China have ground and sea silk route in making which now also include digital silk route which will be backed by 5G tech where Chinese are very good.
Thunders are not much match for CAPTOR-E equipped Eurofighters or F35Bs, at least not in small numbers, only if you get the same amount of JFs as one EF or F35 is worth, you will have a superior fleet of JFs. But I request Pakistani members to not start a dick measuring contest with the brits, we have no fights with them, it’s best if the JF never gets used against them. Just be glad it’s getting exports.

If Argentina get complete package which includes JFT, AWACS, Ships, Radars etc. from China then they can be real headache for UK.

Actually our new type 26 won't be coming out later part of this decade, they will be launched i believe even earlier. Probably 2/3years from now i believe. Our new advanced type 26 frigates are already coming forward. Our little cousins Canada and Australia have already placed orders even before we started churning them out. Believe me many countries will soon be lining up to get them in future. They know our defence giants only make the best quality of products. 😊

BAE SYSTEMS RILLS OUT AFT BLOCK OF NAVY'S FIRST TYPE 26 FRIGATE.

View attachment 741439View attachment 741439

The aft block was unveiled to join the forward block at BAE’s Govan shipyard on the River

Clyde. Credit: BAE Systems.

The aft block comprises the mission bay and hangar, which can support helicopters, boats, mission loads and disaster relief stores.

It was joined together with the forward block at BAE’s Govan shipyard on the River Clyde, revealing HMS Glasgow’s full size and scale for the first time.

BAE said that the flight deck of the frigate can land a Chinook helicopter for transport of embarked forces.

To bring the aft block out of the ship block into position to combine with the forward block, BAE’s Govan shipyard teams prepared and completed a set of complex manoeuvres.

The Type 26 advanced anti-submarine ships are designed to adapt to changing missions and provide required manpower and capabilities to meet challenges.

Each ship will be fitted with the Sea Ceptor missile defence system, a five-inch medium calibre gun, flexible mission bay, Artisan 997 Medium Range Radar, as well as towed array sonars.

Last July, BAE Systems announced new supply chain contracts worth over £100m as part of the Royal Navy’s Type 26 frigate programme.

The programme is supporting more than 4,000 jobs across the UK.

Set to replace the UK’s Type 23 frigates, the Type 26 ships are the original variant of the company’s Global Combat Ship (GCS).

Australia and Canada have both selected BAE Systems’ Type 26 Global Combat Ship (GCS) as the reference design for their anti-submarine frigate programmes.

The version that Australia will be building will have a more powerful AESA MFR and hold the long-range SM-series SAM. It will be closer to the firepower of a destroyer than a frigate.

Last edited:
The version that Australia will be building will have a motte powerful MlAESA MFR and hold the long-rage SM-series SAM. It will be closer to the firepower of a destroyer than a frigate.
Actually the Australian version will be a true reflect of GCS. It will blur the lines between frigates and destroyers i,e. able to switch roles and provide adaptability to different mission profiles. All these ships will add to the Naval base already present in UK plus the added incentive of extra cash in the exchequer.

Your post show that you dont have clue about it and just posting for ego.

China have ground and sea silk route in making which now also include digital silk route which will be backed by 5G tech where Chinese are very good.

If Argentina get complete package which includes JFT, AWACS, Ships, Radars etc. from China then they can be real headache for UK.
That package would require a lot of money and training, plus years of time. UK would be able to keep a lead if such an arms race starts. They have money + NATO.

Since JF-17 is a joint endeavour of Pakistan and China, it should have been a joint delegation to make a pitch for sale anywhere.

If it is a Chinese delegation that is negotiating then how would it ensure equitable distribution of manufacturing and other aspects of the deal.

All jointly developed aircraft in the world are jealously negotiated by the all the partners to ensure that they get a fair share of the fruits during initial development and any sale later.
It is already ensured, if Pakistan sell it or China, profit is distributed by a specific percentage.

That package would require a lot of money and training, plus years of time. UK would be able to keep a lead if such an arms race starts. They have money + NATO.
You are discussing with reason - that is not a sound strategy - as I have just found.
This whole notion is petty and so far removed from actual reality.

I am glad they are going for JF17 but the quantity regardless of which block or weapons package they chose makes them irrelevant in the Falklands scenario. At best they will be able to challenge RAF fighting readiness by probing the airspace - at best, that is what they can achieve. Nothing more - JF17 is a great fighter for PAF and its purposes, it does not provide Argentina with much in terms of launching a viable offence at the Falklands.

put it in car terms then. When Ford and Mazda shared the Ford Ranger. Mazda didn't sell the Ford Ranger in Mazda showrooms. Mazda made some changes and sold the Mazda B-series.
Geo Metro/Pontiac Firefly/Suzuki Swift...all more or less the same car...Pontiac didn't sell a Suzuki Swift.
This is what everyone constantly sees in the world.
JF-17 is Pakistan's plane (China doesn't buy the JF-17, right?). China should be selling something different.
Result everyone keeps asking, "Why is China selling Pakistan's plane?"

The U.S. doesn't buy the F-5 either but they sure sold a lot of them.

You are discussing with reason - that is not a sound strategy - as I have just found.
This whole notion is petty and so far removed from actual reality.

I am glad they are going for JF17 but the quantity regardless of which block or weapons package they chose makes them irrelevant in the Falklands scenario. At best they will be able to challenge RAF fighting readiness by probing the airspace - at best, that is what they can achieve. Nothing more - JF17 is a great fighter for PAF and its purposes, it does not provide Argentina with much in terms of launching a viable offence at the Falklands.
Reason is often overlooked due to Patriotism here sadly, but at least some people will listen, thank you.

To the others:
The JF-17 was never meant to counter an EF, a Rafale or an F35B 1-1, it simply cannot, those are much bigger, expensive planes that’s like comparing a rolls Royce to a Corolla, the Corolla is good enough as a modern car, but you can get 10 corollas for the price of a Rolls. And then maybe the corollas make sense, that’s where the advantage of the JF-17 lies for Pakistan, as that’s the kind of aircraft they need. An advantage Argentina too could get if they have the money and the logistics to buy a large number of these aircraft, but that is simply not realistic due to the massive head start Britain has, any larger purchase from Argentina would mean UK extends its lead even further. That’s just the realistic view of it.

And to the Indians (and certain Pakistanis as well) trying to make a big deal out of Pakistan not marketing the Jf, I’ll repeat:
It’s to maintain positive relations with the UK, UK-PAK relations mean a lot more for Pakistan than the sale of 12 jets to Argentina. That doesn’t mean JF isn’t equally or majorly Pakistani, it was Pakistan who marketed it to Nigeria, to Qatar, to Azerbaijan, to Malaysia. And it was Pakistan who built those aircraft too. It is unmistakably a joint project, and the profits from any Argentinian sale will be divided as always. I would recommend the Indians to worry about their own aircraft, which doesn’t even fly properly, before worrying about ours. I would recommend the Chinese and Pakistanis to ignore such trolls and just be happy they’re getting export orders for the Thunder, hopefully more to come, fingers crossed for Qatar, Malaysia and Azerbaijan.

Last edited:
No offense but people are deluded if they think that the JF-17, even Block 3, could seriously threaten the UK's F-35B/Typhoons. The JF-17 is a great fighter but 12 of them won't seriously tilt the tide in a battle against high end 4+/5th generation fighters.

No offense but people are deluded if they think that the JF-17, even Block 3, could seriously threaten the UK's F-35B/Typhoons. The JF-17 is a great fighter but 12 of them won't seriously tilt the tide in a battle against high end 4+/5th generation fighters.
Why UK veto even 12 F/A-50 trainer/fighter? So you are saying F/A-50 can threaten but 12 JF-17 are less even a threat?

Nope, if strategic partnership started with China then Chinese footprint in Argentina will change dynamics as China will like to have logistics facilities from Argentina which could lead to some sort of military base in future, that is what rising powers have mostly done in past.

Argentina will need 70+ JF-17 to have any chance of fighting off British Aircraft carrier battle group.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom