What's new

Chinese and Korean players throw match: Olympic shame

Status
Not open for further replies.
pfft you guys are no different in these types of tactics on pdf and you know that:p:P:p:P:P

anyway shameful behavior by the athletes very shameful whether they be chinese americans or pakistani,s or indians its not right these guys need to be thrown out of the match and why would they do this the olympics are all abut do your best and if that best is the best amongst all you win medals its an athletes tester so why both sides were trying to throw matches and if match fixing has reached the olympics then might as well quit sports

but all of this aside that is no reason to go for a troll fest in this place just bcz a few athletes did this doesnt mean you have to post ridiculous videos and make troll posts its bad yes blame the players not the country

If the boards of such a country ban the players or remove them from the competition voluntarily for violating the Olympic spirit then one can't blame the country. However, if the board and the country encourage such behavior then one has to blame the country.

No - it doesn't happen. Provide a source for this nonsense you continue to spew with impunity.

Damn - could be worse. We couldn't have the right to vote in 100% of the country. LOL.

in the west ,they do that all the time

Better playoff chances

In the National Basketball Association (but not in the NHL, which re-seeds teams after each playoff round), there have also been allegations of teams tanking games in order to finish in sixth rather than fifth place in the conference standings, thus enabling the team in question to evade a possible playoff match with the conference's top seed until the final round of playoffs in that conference (for more details see single-elimination tournament). For example, the 2006 Los Angeles Clippers allegedly tanked late season games so they could finish with the 6th seed and play the 8th-ranked team in the league's Western Conference, the Denver Nuggets, who were the 3rd seed by way of winning their division. Another quirk in the league's playoff system gave the Clippers even more of an incentive to tank. The NBA is the only one of the four major professional sports leagues of the United States in which home advantage in the playoffs is based strictly on regular-season record without regard to seeding. If the Clippers had finished with the 5th seed in the West, they would have had to face the Dallas Mavericks, who despite being the 4th seed had the second-best record in the conference, which would give the Mavericks home advantage. However, the Clippers would have home advantage in a series against the Nuggets by virtue of a better overall record. If tanking was indeed their strategy, it worked, as the Clippers easily won their first round series. Following the 2006 season, the NBA changed its playoff format so that the best second-place team in each conference would be able to obtain up to the #2 seed should it have the second-best conference record.[1]

On occasion, a National Football League team has also been accused of throwing its final regular-season game in an attempt to "choose" its possible opponent in the subsequent playoffs. For example, in the closing game of the 2004 season, the Indianapolis Colts faced the Denver Broncos. With a win, the Broncos would advance to the playoffs as a wild card and face the Colts as their first round playoff opponent. It would seem the Colts had little incentive to win as their loss would ensure that they would play a team they dominated in the 2003 Wild Card game. Sure enough, the Colts rested their starters, lost the game, and went on to blow out the Broncos the following week in the playoffs.

Perhaps the most notable example of this was when the San Francisco 49ers, who had clinched a playoff berth, lost their regular-season finale in 1988 to the Los Angeles Rams, thereby keeping the New York Giants (who had defeated the 49ers in the playoffs in both 1985 and 1986, also injuring 49er quarterback Joe Montana in the latter year's game) from qualifying for the postseason; after the game, Giants quarterback Phil Simms angrily accused the 49ers of "laying down like dogs."[2]

A more recent example of possible tanking occurred in the ice hockey competition at the 2006 Winter Olympics. In Pool B, Sweden was to face Slovakia in the last pool match for both teams. Sweden coach Bengt-Åke Gustafsson publicly contemplated tanking against Slovakia, knowing that if his team won, their quarterfinal opponent would either be Canada, the 2002 gold medalists, or the Czech Republic, 1998 gold medalists. Gustafsson would tell Swedish television "One is cholera, the other the plague." Sweden lost the match 3–0; the most obvious sign of tanking was when Sweden had a five-on-three powerplay with five NHL stars—Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin, Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Lidström, and Fredrik Modin—on the ice, and failed to put a shot on goal. (Sports Illustrated writer Michael Farber would say about this particular powerplay, "If the Swedes had passed the puck any more, their next opponent would have been the Washington Generals.") If he was seeking to tank, Gustafsson got his wish; Sweden would face a much less formidable quarterfinal opponent in Switzerland. Canada would lose to Russia in a quarterfinal in the opposite bracket, while Sweden went on to win the gold medal, defeating the Czechs in the semifinals.[3]
More favorable schedule next year

NFL teams have been accused of tanking games in order to obtain a more favorable schedule the following season; this was especially true between 1977 and 1993, when a team finishing last in a five-team division would get to play five of its eight non-division matches the next season against other last-place teams.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_fixing

I'm glad they did it, I want gold, all this Olympic spirit nonsense have always been broken by all countries. People that care about Olympic spirit crap are the losers, it's like saying 'what's important is to participate'. LOL.
Olympic spirit is PC nonsense, no one follows it.

As long as we win gold, I couldn't give a rats arse.

Indians are not very familiar with sports,you really should get involved more in the sports,there is a lot stuff in sports and hopefully you can build yourselves up to a sports power,you get so many people and it just doesnt make any sense that you can't excel in sports.

I'm glad they did it, I want gold, all this Olympic spirit nonsense have always been broken by all countries. People that care about Olympic spirit crap are the losers, it's like saying 'what's important is to participate'. LOL.

I m all for it too,the best teams and players should get the best medals.if you can't beat them,just don't whine like a child.

Its against sports ethics, if found guilty these people should be punished.

The chini drama queen with its queer ways is trying to divert the topic. Lets ignore it.

all the countries do that now and then,if you think it's dirty,no country is clean.a lot of similiar stuff going on in India.

http://www.google.com.hk/#hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=strict&q=india+Match+fixing&oq=india+Match+fixing&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.12...905631.914981.35.915735.14.13.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0..0.YljnVjEUAa8&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4a045c6f5fd3f654&biw=1024&bih=582

allegations? LOL - you said confidently it is done on a regular basis. I want facts, not allegations.

It is not usually broken by secular democratic nations; I can't speak for banana republics though.

allegations? LOL - you said confidently it is done on a regular basis. I want facts, not allegations.

It's like in boxing, when the reigning champions refuse to fight with boxers of equal skill, and only challenge weak fighters to get enough quota to hold onto their titles.

This is what happens when you commercialize sports. And the teams care about winning and profits over the actual game. :undecided:

Remember the India cricket match fixing scandals the last few years?

It's like in boxing, when the reigning champions refuse to fight with boxers of equal skill, and only challenge weak fighters to get enough quota to hold onto their titles.

This is what happens when you commercialize sports. And the terms care about winning and profits over the actual game. :undecided:

Remember the India cricket match fixing scandals the last few years?

Yes, I remember the Cricket match fixing scandal and I also remember the Indian cricketers being banned. Let's see if China shows the same backbone and bans its players.

There is a difference between choosing your opponent and tanking a match. I hope you do realize this.

:( Some countries just don't seem to understand the spirit of the Olympics.

So all of the eight athletes accused here, none of their countries "understand the spirit of the Olympics"?

That is quite a big accusation.

Is it in the "spirit of the Olympics" to have BBC presenter Clare Balding say that 16-year old Ye Shiwen was doing illegal doping, when she turned out to be completely clean?

So all of the eight athletes accused here, none of their countries "understand the spirit of the Olympics"?

That is quite a big accusation.

Is it in the "spirit of the Olympics" to have BBC presenter Clare Balding say that 16-year old Ye Shiwen was doing illegal doping, when she turned out to be completely clean?

A commentator is not a participant; in democracies usually commentators are not instructed on what to say and what not to say. And Clare Baling did not accuse the Chinese athlete of doping; she merely raised an alarm. I know it is difficult to understand the difference between an insinuation and a statement when you are used to living in a communist state - but do give it a shot.

Yes, I remember the Cricket match fixing scandal and I also remember the Indian cricketers being banned. Let's see if China shows the same backbone and bans its players.

There is a difference between choosing your opponent and tanking a match. I hope you do realize this.

It's more about having dignity in the sport. Exploiting the rules, throwing the match is all the same when it comes to sportsmanship. China won't ban the players, it's up to the governing body of the sport, in this case, the Badminton World Federation to do it.

I'll admit though, if this was a regional game in China/Japan/S.Korea, the players are most likely able to get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom