What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

Pardon, and I know right again I will get my bashings, but it is simply again an image posted without any reading !! Just to hype "China has a new AESA" !!!

That's exactly why I beg so often to do some resaerch before posting.

But if You would have read properly - just read the sign itself - You would have noticed this AESA is from the National Chung Shan Institute of Science and Technology; NCSIST, which is the primary R&D institute for the Ministry of National Defence for ROC/Taiwan!!!

Even more the image shows clearly a F-16's radome and by the way the CAS, as the Chinese Academy of Sciences, to come out with something like a fighter AESA would be strange, even silly. An AESA You would expect for a specific defence/science institute with a given number, but not from the CAS as a whole.

Or am I wrong !??

Deino

Well, Taiwan is actually China too. But you're right. This thread is about PLAAF. Taiwan military should be put in their own thread.

US, China Military Aircraft Have "Unsafe, Close Encounter" Over Contested Islands

ZeroHedge, 2017-02-09

After years of 'close encounters' of the Russian-kind, it appears the US military has found a new nation to fly close to.
Russian_airforce_tests_NATO_reaction_time.jpg

Nine months after China demanded US "immediately cease" spying near its borders...

"It must be pointed out that U.S. military planes frequently carry out reconnaissance in Chinese coastal waters, seriously endangering Chinese maritime security," China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei Hong told reporters, adding that "we demand that the United States immediately cease this type of close reconnaissance activity to avoid having this sort of incident happening again."

CNN reports that two US defense officials confirmed that there was an "unsafe" close encounter between a US Navy P-3 Orion aircraft and a Chinese surveillance aircraft Wednesday in the general vicinity of the contested Scarborough Shoal (referred as Huangyan Island 黄岩岛 by the Chinese) in the South China Sea.
PLAAF_KJ_200_20170209_china2.jpg

One official said the Chinese plane was a People's Liberation Army Air Force KJ-200.
20170209_china3.jpg

CNN reports the two planes flew within 1,000 feet of each other in the general vicinity of the contested Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea.

South_China_Sea_Key_Maritime_claims_20170209_c.jpg

A second official said that the American P-3 had to alter course to ensure that there wasn't an aerial collision.

A spokesperson for US Pacific Command, which oversees US troops in the region confirmed, the incident, calling it "unsafe" in a statement provided to CNN.

"The U.S. Navy P-3C was on a routine mission operating in accordance with international law," Maj. Rob Shuford said.

"The Department of Defense and US Pacific Command are always concerned about unsafe interactions with Chinese military forces," he added.

"We will address the issue in appropriate diplomatic and military channels."

While the Navy considers the encounter to be "unsafe," it does not assess that any malign intent was behind the incident, though the event was considered serious enough to be raised up the chain of command.

The official called encounters between US and Chinese aircraft like the one that took place Wednesday "extremely rare," noting that there were zero such incidents in 2015 and two in 2016. It was the first such instance of 2017.

We look forward to China's official response tomorrow, especially considering President Trump's positive outreach earlier today.

LLLLR-AAM ??? I thought this is an anti-ship ballistic missile ?

DF-16D is just one of possible payloads for the new H-6X.

It is no secret that China is developing a litany of very long range AAMs, some of which may have a striking distance in excess of 2000km. :D

SAC to make 60+ heavy fighters this year.

Mostly J-16.:-)

DF-16D is just one of possible payloads for the new H-6X.

It is no secret that China is developing a litany of very long range AAMs, some of which may have a striking distance in excess of 2000km. :D

Pardon, but just to be sure ! The DF-15/-16 are ballistic (ground-to-ground) missiles and not air-to-air missiles (AAM) !?
Does that mean there is a 2000km-range AAM-version of a DF-16 available or are both an option for the H-6X; the new ultra-long-range PL-XX AAM and/or the ballistic Anti-Ship missile based on a DF-16 ??

Sorry, but a 2000km-range AAM is the first time I hear about.

Deino

Last edited:
There is a reason why they called H-6K 战神!King of LLBVRAAM and king of precision strike stand off missile.

I am sure all current H-6K are easily upgraded to refuelable mode.

Air-Launched Weapons

IDEX 2017: China's FT-12 glide bomb gets rocket booster

Richard D Fisher Jr, Abu Dhabi
- IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

21 February 2017

China's rocket-boosted precision-guided glide bomb, the Fei Teng FT-12, was revealed at the IDEX show in Abu Dhabi by China Aerospace Long-March International Trade Co, Ltd (ALIT), the marketing arm of the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC).

While the existence of an FT-12 glide bomb has been previously reported, this is the first time that it has been clearly stated that it is rocket-boosted.

An ALIT official told Jane's at IDEX said this latest FT-12 variant was completed about one year ago and that a "Chinese customer" has only purchased a small quantity.

Looking to add value to their precision-guided bomb series, designers from the China Academy of Launch Technology added a "5-10 kg" rocket motor to the FT-12, according to an ALIT official.

Back
Top Bottom