What's new

Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) News & Discussions

It was rumored that 601/SAC are working on a twin-engine medium supersonic stealth bomber design (H-18?) but this has yet to be confirmed.

Chinese Military Aviation: Attack Aircraft I

It was rumored that 601/SAC are working on a medium supersonic stealth bomber design (H-18?) but this has yet to be confirmed.

Chinese Military Aviation: Attack Aircraft II

H-18.jpg

It was rumored that 601/SAC are working on a medium supersonic stealth bomber design (H-18?) but this has yet to be confirmed.

Chinese Military Aviation: Attack Aircraft II

View attachment 262118

China stealth bomber will not adopt this design neither. Expect it to be delta with large wing area for better lift and the air intake will be located near front side edge. Assume it's designation h18, it will be medium size bomber. The 2x powerplants for it should be around the size of tu26 backfire.

PLAAF and PAF personnel at the conclusion of Shaheen-4 exercise in which at least 18 PAF aircraft participated.

560feebc149ff.jpg

rashid-bhai-e1443892856904.jpg

What is a possible timeframe for the unveiling of the H-18?

Priority at the moment is given to navy as the threat is more from the sea over disputed islands. As per latest news, india deployed 4 ships to South China Sea to protect the oil derricks on its way to mine petroleum in Spratlys. It was on the news.

Also on first priority is the j20, it has the stealth, range and cruising speed to protect China naval fleet.

As for the H18 medium bomber, probably 4 years timeframe soonest. If they wanted to make it sooner, it could be powered by 4x WS10B or WS15. The US b1b for example is powered by 4x fighter size engines.

Quite interesting most of the time we spoke about a future Chinese bomber, we were discussing the H-20 stealth bomber but now with the latest rumours the H-18 popped up in front.

Anyway the most important point to consider is not only what's the PLAAF's priority (here it's indeed most likely the H-18 due to being a regional bomber) but who has the least technical issues left (stealth, avionics and most of all engines again) ? As such I think that a H-20 with four WS-10 is probably less an issue than a supersonic design with two only quite weak interim engines for a supersonic design until the WS-15 is ready.

In regard to the H-20 from XAC it was thus expected - given the great urgency of the Y-20 program - that it only gained full momentum after the successful flight of latter in late 2012. The latest rumour suggest that individual parts of a prototype are under construction since March 2015 at XAC and given an at best similar development-cycle to the Y-20 (full-scale metal mock-up constructed by 2008, begin of prototype-manufacturing in August 2009 and final assembly until late 2012, maiden flight in early 2013) a roll out can be projected to 2018/19 at best. As such there are exciting times ahead until the next Chinese Dragon will spread its wings.

Deino

J-10B.

18 J-10B not C.

Soon 4 will be in PAF.

Thanks and I agree in all both points 1 & 2.... however the PAF uses not the KJ-500 but the quite similar ZDK-03 which uses a different radar (a rotating system and not the same three fixed AESA arrays) and avionics system (like these ESM-arrays).

Deino

Thanks and I agree in all both points 1 & 2.... however the PAF uses not the KJ-500 but the quite similar ZDK-03 which uses a different radar (a rotating system and not the same three fixed AESA arrays) and avionics system (like these ESM-arrays).

Deino
Thanks for liking it. PLAAF will soon have their J-10B/BS in fleet and work is going on over J-10Cs too. PAF is buying or getting free of cost the new fixed AESA AWE&Cs from China.

WS-10A engine.jpg

The exhaust of WS-10A @Deino I do not see much different from AL-31F engine. It seems to be the black petal WS-10A and not the silvery WS-10A we usually seen. The petal looks shorter compare to AL-31F version. This black petal WS-10A is believed to be used on J-20 prototype powering it currently.

The pilot claimed J-11B is a beast, helping his squadron to attain Golden helmet for continuous 3 years. He also claim J-11B has strong capabilities for anti-ground, anti-sea and anti-air. It can carries variety of weaponery. The pilot also claimed he is extremely proud of his J-11B to be 100% with made in China including the WS-10A engine.

Looks like J-10A is pinned down badly since J-10B not able to attain operational service. J-10 boys need to wait for J-10C to enter service before reclaimed supremacy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom