What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

Currently China is second best in the world after the US in fighter jet engine. WS-10B matches GE but still falls short of PW. PW engine in F-22 / 35 is monster compared to GE engine in F-15E. Should take about 5 more years to catch up to PW when WS-15 is ready.

China is certainly not better than the UK & France in fighter engine technology. Not even close. It is also a stretch to say China has caught up to Russia. Again, not even close.

China is certainly not better than the UK & France in fighter engine technology. Not even close. It is also a stretch to say China has caught up to Russia. Again, not even close.

Europe can't make a fighter jet engine in the 30,000+ lb thrust category. They can make medium sized engines like EJ200 and M88, but not large sized engines like WS-10 / 15. Therefore I said China is second best engine maker after the US at the moment. Russian AL-31 / 41 engine is large sized, but not as reliable as WS-10 / 15. That's why China replaced AL-31 used in J-10 with WS-10.

Last edited:
Currently China is second best in the world after the US in fighter jet engine. WS-10B matches GE but still falls short of PW. PW engine in F-22 / 35 is monster compared to GE engine in F-15E. Should take about 5 more years to catch up to PW when WS-15 is ready.

Lol no. Russia and UK are still ahead.

Then why aren’t the Russians buying WS-10 for their flankers?

Because of national pride. Russia don't buy Long March 5 rocket from China even though their rocket can't get to Mars anymore. Russia don't buy aircraft carrier from China even though their only carrier is sitting rotting in a dry dock. Russia don't buy destroyer from China even though Russia can't build a single modern destroyer. After Cold War Russia's tech has really fallen behind.

Because of national pride. Russia don't buy Long March 5 rocket from China even though their rocket can't get to Mars anymore. Russia don't buy aircraft carrier from China even though their only carrier is sitting rotting in a dry dock. Russia don't buy destroyer from China even though Russia can't build a single modern destroyer. After Cold War Russia's tech has really fallen behind.

Yes, but that does not say anything about their engine technologies. I’m 100% sure their Izdele 30 engine for the Su-57 is way ahead the WS-10.

Yes, but that does not say anything about their engine technologies. I’m 100% sure their Izdele 30 engine for the Su-57 is way ahead the WS-10.

Izdele 30 engine is still years away. I would say WS-15 be ready before Izdele 30 engine ever is. Time will tell. Russia does buy 5g from China BTW. Huawei is very popular telecom provider in Russia. Buying military hardware from China would draw public ire. Too obvious.

Last edited:
Izdele 30 engine is still years away. I would say WS-15 be ready before Izdele 30 engine ever is. Time will tell. Russia does buy 5g from China BTW. Huawei is very popular telecom provider in Russia. Buying military hardware from China would draw public ire. Too obvious.

But telecommunications technology has no meaning the aero-engine technology.

But telecommunications technology has no meaning the aero-engine technology.

My point is Russian technology has fallen behind China post Cold War. To date only 1 Su-57 delivered to Russian air force. Meanwhile, WS-10B is phasing out AL-31 in J-10 left and right. It's safe to say the days of Russian exports to China is over. Meanwhile, Chinese exports to Russia is growing day by day.

My point is Russian technology has fallen behind China post Cold War.
As it was said to you above, U are wrong.

To date only 1 Su-57 delivered to Russian air force.
It does prove nothing. It just does mean Russia's choice is somehow different than China. With their powerful radio photonic radars Russians are enough confident with their Mig-31, SU-35, and Mig-35. Moreover, the development of the new Mig-41 is going on. The Mig-41 with its new revolutionary jet engine could allow flying at hypersonic speeds. Furthermore, the US are stopping the F-35 program, and it is a matter to phase out the F-22 at the end of this decade. After the US intervention above Syrian skies, it does prove the US adventure of the V° generation airplane is a total failure. Tell me why Russia should follow the same wrong US path!
If you think Russia is lagging behind China U are wrong again.

Meanwhile, WS-10B is phasing out AL-31 in J-10 left and right. It's safe to say the days of Russian exports to China is over. Meanwhile, Chinese exports to Russia is growing day by day.
This is another story. Indeed, nowadays it is reasonable to say that China could no longer rely on Russia's jet engine export versions. Thus China's indigenous technology is enough mature to equip PLA.
Nevertheless, the legacy of Soviet technology can allow Russia to see more ambitious programs. I think China with its actual industrial basis is enough secure to attack more challenges. China can afford it.

It does prove nothing. It just does mean Russia's choice is somehow different than China. With their powerful radio photonic radars Russians are enough confident with their Mig-31, SU-35, and Mig-35. Moreover, the development of the new Mig-41 is going on. The Mig-41 with its new revolutionary jet engine could allow flying at hypersonic speeds.

Russians do not admit their weakness. The only thing they talk about is fantasy. After Cold War Russia cannot build a single modern destroyer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom