What's new

China's no.1 ally is?

Who is China's number 1 Ally?

• Total voters
Perhaps I travel around too much to realize this phenomenon, but sometimes the media and a few narrow minded people have something to do with these kind of ethnic- hated promotions and I'm sure not everyone in Singapore feel that way, because after all, it's a international mixed society. People are used to the racial mix here and so far it's not so bad compare to the other racial mixed cities.

Being a minority myself when I'm traveling aboard I have to remind myself racial tensions always existed and have to deal with it in a more open mind manner and accept it as is.

We can't change these attitudes of others but we also must stand tall in order to deal with it.

Of course, not all SG citizens feel that way, but it is also widely accepted by SG citizens that a scornful attitude against BD citizens (most of whom are labourers in construction or other labour-intensive industry) is accepted. Ironically, even other BD citizens not belonging to the same social stratum is often treated with the same degree of scorn. The irony is, that SG citizens somehow feel hesitant or afraid to display the same tendency towards Indians because, to them, "Indians" is one of the official races recognized in SG, so it may create some backlash or accusations of racism if such attitudes against Indian citizens are displayed in public. For some reason, Bangladesh is 'fair game'.

The good thing is that in a very racial/race aware/race conscious society like SG, nobody ever grouped me together with Indians. The bad thing is that as soon as they found out the citizenship, almost invariably a certain scornful attitude was displayed.

All of this has nothing to do with China, anyway, let's get back to the topic.

It is ridiculous to compare invaluable U.S. contribution to China with insignificant Japan

You did not read my post carefully. You picked only one thing.

I said many things. I mentioned the transfer of American technology to China (e.g. selling supercomputers to China during Bill Clinton's administration). Also, I mentioned Chinese students studying at American universities.

If I become more explicit than it appears I'm giving too much credit to the United States. If I say too little, you do not understand.

Very well, I will say more and take the risk.

The United States has been and continues to be important to China, because the U.S. has been instrumental in laying the groundwork for China's basic sciences. Our Confucian culture of obedience limits our horizon. Most of us that have studied in the United States have had our minds opened to the endless possibilities.

A perfect example is Zhu Guangya, who was critical to China's atomic and hydrogen bomb programs. If you still don't understand what I'm saying, I will speak more clearly. The United States was vital in providing Mr. Zhu Guangya with a mastery of nuclear physics when he earned his Ph.D. at the University of Michigan. You cannot find a comparable contribution from Japan.

Have I made myself clear enough?

-----

Zhu Guangya: Nuclear pioneer and national hero CCTV News - CNTV English

"Zhu Guangya: Nuclear pioneer and national hero
02-06-2012 08:17 BJT

Among the people CCTV has chosen to receive "Hidden Heroes" award, there is a pioneering nuclear physicist named as Zhu Guangya. Zhu Guangya made important contributions to breakthroughs in nuclear energy research and helped the country develop its nuclear arsenal.

China exploded its first atom bomb in 1964, with a hydrogen bomb following shortly in 1967 - setting a record for such a rapid advance. The event shocked the world, but also touched the heart of Zhu Guangya, who returning to China after completing his PHD in nuclear physics from the University of Michigan, devoted himself to researching nuclear energy.

Zhu Mingyuan, Zhu Guangya’s son, said, "I wrote in my diary that we should pay tribute to scientists. My father didn’t agree. He said workers, technicians and members of People’s Liberation Army are all contributors."

In 1999, he was awarded a prestigious medal in recognition of his contribution to China’s "Two Bombs, One Satellite" project which refers to the atomic bombs and a man-made satellite. (article continues)"

----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Guangya

"Zhu Guangya (simplified Chinese: 朱光亚; traditional Chinese: 朱光亞; pinyin: Zhū Guāngyà; December 25, 1924 – February 26, 2011) was a renowned Chinese nuclear physicist, and an academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences. He served as the vice chairman of 8th and 9th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).[1]

Zhu attended National Central University (Nanjing University) in 1941 and graduated from department of physics of National Southwestern Associated University in 1945, and obtained a doctorate degree in physics at University of Michigan in the United States (1950). He returned to China in spring of 1950. After 1957, he was involved in nuclear reactor research. Together with Deng Jiaxian and others, Zhu led the development of China's atomic bomb and hydrogen bomb program."

----------

Sino-American relationship is extremely complicated

There are elements of competition and cooperation between China and the United States. However, the United States has not treated China as an enemy.

What does it look like when the U.S. thinks you're an enemy?

1. U.S. created NATO to blunt the Soviet threat. There has been no attempt to create an Asian NATO.

2. U.S. gives billions in military aid to Israel. The U.S. gives peanuts ($30 million to the Philippines and $0 to Vietnam) in military aid to Asian countries.

3. U.S. blocked Soviet goods from entering the United States via the Jackson-Vanik law in 1974.

The United States could have prevented the rise of China if it really wanted to.

Firstly, the U.S. could have forced China to spend an ungodly sum of money on defense. If the U.S. had provided $5 billion each in annual military aid for the last thirty years to South Korea, Japan, and other neighboring countries then China would have been forced to bleed itself economically on military spending.

Secondly, the United States could easily have blocked all Chinese goods from entering the United States for the last thirty years. All of the jobs would have been displaced to other under-developed countries.

As you can see, the United States could have (but did not) prevent China's rise. Without the constant stream of profits and upgrade in technology from the United States, China would not be where it is today.

Finally, it is incorrect to claim Japanese consumers can replace American consumers. Many of the imports and exports in Sino-Japanese trade have American customers as the end destination.

Japanese live on four barren islands with nothing to exchange of value. Americans live on a continent as large as China with bountiful resources to trade. On paper, Japanese consumers are equal to American consumers. In reality, Japanese cannot replicate American wealth from bountiful natural resources and technological innovations (e.g. think Silicon Valley).

It will take many decades before Chinese consumers can replace American consumers in importance to the Chinese economy. However, it is a mistake to believe Japanese consumers can ever replace the American market.

-----

While it is inconvenient for China to have the U.S. whispering into the ears of the Philippines and Vietnam to stir up trouble, this is peanuts.

Action speaks louder than words. Where is the U.S. military operating? The U.S. focus is really on the Middle East. Those dumb Islamic extremists destroyed the World Trade Center buildings and forced the U.S. to respond.

The U.S. talks about China, but drops bombs on Middle Eastern countries. I think Chinese can withstand the nagging from the United States. Periodic nagging is a far cry from a military confrontation. It is a mistake to exaggerate minor American nagging into an "enemy."

The United States is the world's current superpower. How many F-22s and B-2 stealth aircraft does anyone else have? The U.S. grumbles about growing Chinese military power, but there is no serious effort to contain China.

If stable Sino-American relations continue for another twenty years, China will become an equal economic and military superpower. Can you withstand twenty more years of nagging? It seems a small price to pay.

----------

Not enough for China to work hard. You need American buyers for the last thirty years.

This is the weakest resistance ever mustered by one existing superpower to prevent the rise of another superpower with a different culture.

1. The U.S. sold modern steel plants to China for peanuts. The sale of a bankrupt modern Pittsburgh steel plant for $6 million to China was reported during the 1980s by Dan Rather on CBS News. I saw it on the newscast. Did you?

China dismantled every single nut and bolt for reassembly in China.

2. Prior to 1997, Chinese Long March launches were unreliable. U.S. companies Hughes Electronics and Loral wrote a report that identified the problem areas, specifically the faulty insulation material, and Chinese Long March launches have been almost perfect for the last 15 years (e.g. 1.5 failures in 15 years).

3. The U.S. loaned two CFM56/GE F108 engines to China in 1982 during the Cold War. The CFM56 formed the core technology for the WS-10A. After the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the United States asked for the return of the two CFM56/GE F108 engines. China returned one and claimed the other one was destroyed in a warehouse fire.

4. The U.S. sold supercomputers to China. The U.S. sold fiber optics to China.

5. There is endless joint venture technology transfers between the United States and China. This process continues today. All of the avionics and engines for the ARJ-21 and C-919 are supplied by American subcontractors.

6. Major American companies have R&D centers in China. Microsoft, Applied Materials, major pharmaceutical companies, etc. come to mind.

7. The path of transfer of technology. United States --> Taiwan --> China. Taiwan had its start in the semiconductor business in 1964 by licensing a transistor design from General Instruments.

Taiwan built a massive semiconductor industry on American technology and equipment. Taiwan worked hard to incrementally improve some of the computer technology (e.g. notebook computers). However, the bulk of the underlying technology and customers were all American.

TSMC grew into a monster and built plants in China. Ex-TSMC personnel formed the management and technical core for China's premier semiconductor company SMIC.

8. When China asked Toyota to build a manufacturing plant in China during the 1990s, Toyota refused. In contrast, GM jumped at the opportunity in 1997. GM and SAIC formed a joint venture with 50-50 shared ownership.

9. Let me say it again. Who has been buying Chinese manufactured goods for the last thirty years? The U.S. economy has been the largest for 100 years and it is still twice the size of the nominal Chinese economy today. For most of the last thirty years, the U.S. economy was 10 times larger than the Chinese economy (e.g. all of the 1980s and 1990s).

Who bought all of those Chinese goods and gave China all of those trade surpluses to build the mighty Chinese economy? It wasn't tiny Japan. It was the mighty United States.

Sure, Chinese people worked hard. However, if the U.S. had closed its market to China then it wouldn't matter if Chinese people worked hard. There would have been no place to sell endless billions of Chinese manufactured goods. You need a market to absorb your exports.

10. If the United States truly viewed China as an enemy, it would have dropped thermonuclear bombs on Red China during the Korean War (1950-1953). The U.S. had a monopoly on the hydrogen bomb in 1952.

The U.S. was vastly superior in military technology (e.g. including the missile technology to deliver thermonuclear warheads) for the last 70 years. Today, the U.S. is still unrivaled in military technology (e.g. in-service F-22s, B-2s, supercarrier battle groups, each Ohio submarine carries 288 thermonuclear warheads, etc.).

If the U.S. truly viewed China as an enemy, the U.S. could have smashed China at any time during the last 70 years. The U.S. had the power to strangle China before China's rise. However, it didn't. The U.S. talks and threatens, but it never directly hurt China. We were lucky and benefited from American tolerance and magnanimity.

All of these events comprise a more accurate picture of the complex Sino-American relations. The United States is not China's enemy. If it were, Chinese would all be dead a long time ago.

It's an uncomfortable truth, but the U.S. hyperpower is unbelievably strong. Strategic Air Command commander LeMay wanted to drop nuclear bombs on all major Soviet cities. The president of the United States rejected the pre-emptive strikes.

Similarly, I'm sure there were some hawks in the Pentagon that wanted to conduct a pre-emptive strike on a stronger China. It is the moderation of the U.S. president that most Chinese aren't all dead. The United States did not have to wait until China built an impregnable 5,000km Underground Great Wall.

My final point is polls show the majority of Americans do not view China as an enemy. Why don't we return the favor and not view Americans as the enemy? It's a difficult and complicated relationship, but America is hardly China's enemy.

American government officials like to mention New York City as the largest concentration of overseas Chinese outside Asia in the world. There are 682,265 ethnic Chinese living in New York City.

In conclusion, China would not be where it is today without American acquiescence.

1. Humanity inevitably divides on religious fault-lines. The Clash of Civilization is what we are witnessing. Islamic culture and the Buddhist philosophy find many similarities. The central goal of Communism has been emancipation of man. However, the communists have concentrated only on the materila whereas Islam addresses the spiritual aspect also.

2. The global polarization is unfolding fast. On the one side is the WCC (Western Christian Civilization) led by USA. The other side consists of Muslim nations mostly. Some of them are totally under WCC / Oil Majors and some others are trying to break free. Muslims together are around 2.50 blln people. They occupy a strategically important part of the earth. Together they sit on major oil, gas and other deposits/resources. Muslims have a long history of conquests, civilization and making significant contributions in science, technology, medicine, literature, arts, architecture, astronomy and mathematics. Most important, Islam is an unifying faith as none other. It is but natural that China take over the leadership of this group.

3. In South Asia, Bangladesh is the most important and reliable ally China has. Never mind the govt; people of BD are known to throw out anti-people govts in no time. The Himalayan states over which China and Tibet have historical claim are BD's neighbors. The turbulent NE region of India is BD's neighbor. The Bay of Bengal is dominated by BD. Not only the Munjalas of BD but te entire Eastern peoples of SA have always felt close to China and disliked Delhi's rule.

4. It is good that China is making up with Turkey, the most powerful Muslim nation. The other stalwart of the Muslim bloc, Pakistan is bleeding internally. China must invest more of her energy and attention to rescue Pakistan. And at the same time PRC must further strengthen her ties with BD and the NE peoples. China must push for base facilities in BD and permanently station some troops in BD. BD must be brought under an nuclear umbrella of PRC. Time has come for China to retrieve S Tibet. That will alter the strategic aberration in NE and the Himalayas.

It has been said again and again, China doesn't have friends of allies it has interests and has pawns to protect these interests. As such you can see every relationship China forges is aimed at a particular threat/perceived threat ie backing NK was to counter S.Korea backed by the US. Similarly backing Pakistan was an attempt to contain a ever growing India. China's foreign policy is very self-serving and it is clear to see, it only takes actions that are beneficial to themselves, it could be argued that this is what every nation does but China takes it to the extreme. As such the question of "who is China's number 1 ally" is really "who does China fear the most?" As such it is no surprise that NK and Pakistan are at the top of the list for "closest allies" given the US and India respectively are probably the biggest threats are perceived by China.

It has been said again and again, China doesn't have friends of allies it has interests and has pawns to protect these interests. As such you can see every relationship China forges is aimed at a particular threat/perceived threat ie backing NK was to counter S.Korea backed by the US. Similarly backing Pakistan was an attempt to contain a ever growing India. China's foreign policy is very self-serving and it is clear to see, it only takes actions that are beneficial to themselves, it could be argued that this is what every nation does but China takes it to the extreme. As such the question of "who is China's number 1 ally" is really "who does China fear the most?" As such it is no surprise that NK and Pakistan are at the top of the list for "closest allies" given the US and India respectively are probably the biggest threats are perceived by China.

by your definition no one has any friends, you can simply put any country you want and their threats and allies in that post of yours and it would still make just as much sense

India? The biggest threat perceived by China? This is because China supported Pakistan?

Abingdonboy, where were you educated? Do you really think the US has many allies if choice is given? Without invasion, gun boat or arm twisting diplomacy,or sanction, the US has no allies.

Germany, Iraq, Afghanistan, UK, Australia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, and some other countries are occupied countries. They have no choice but to follow the master.

India? The biggest threat perceived by China? This is because China supported Pakistan?

Abingdonboy, where were you educated? Do you really think the US has many allies if choice is given? Without invasion, gun boat or arm twisting diplomacy,or sanction, the US has no allies.

Germany, Iraq, Afghanistan, UK, Australia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, and some other countries are occupied countries. They have no choice but to follow the master.

what do u mean by this? can u bother to expl pls?

China is successfull because of pakistan ,let me remind you guys Pakistan also played an important role in bridging the communication gap between China and the West by facilitating the 1972 Nixon visit to China.Pakistan has served as China's main bridge between Muslim countries.
China itself said pakistan is our israel so don't mess with islamabad .:yahoo:

China is successfull because of pakistan ,let me remind you guys Pakistan also played an important role in bridging the communication gap between China and the West by facilitating the 1972 Nixon visit to China.Pakistan has served as China's main bridge between Muslim countries.
China itself said pakistan is our israel so don't mess with islamabad .:yahoo:

Are you saying your *** on your head so that why you Indian cannot beat Pakistan, because you never will win Pakistan is that right?

North Korea has never been China's ally and we (Chinese people) don't have any desire to be their ally, as long as NK is still Kim regime. Democracy is not optional and that's why we keep pushing the CCP to continue political reform.

Are you saying your *** on your head so that why you Indian cannot beat Pakistan, because you never will win Pakistan is that right?

India already make them two pieces

One Pakistani makes a thread who is China's greatest fraand ?

Other Pakistanis shout Pakistan Pakistan ?

Some others Scream "deeper than sea higher than mount everest" ?

WTF is the purpose of this thread ....apart from some classy @ss licking!!:lol:

One Pakistani makes a thread who is China's greatest fraand ?

Other Pakistanis shout Pakistan Pakistan ?

Some others Scream "deeper than sea higher than mount everest" ?

WTF is the purpose of this thread ....apart from some classy @ss licking!!:lol:

Indians are the real *** licker, our friendship is two sided, but go to any indian news site article about china, indians are always talking about some imaginary friendship between ancient hindu emprires lololol
I have never ever heard a chinese saying we need india, but even here many many,,,indians..saythey want,,to be with china,hihihihih

China doesn't have any true allies. China is powerful and clever enough to have pawns. Pakistan is China's pawn. China will fight India to the last Pakistani.

soooookaaa

None.

There is no best ally of China. Pakistan is the country Chinese feel most comfortable with because there is no history of confrontations or other issues that could create distrust, and China is the country Pakistanis can trust most for the same reasons. Yet, Pakistan is not strong enough to provide much help against a Western/NATO encirclement or containment of China. That's something Russia is better placed to do, but 'ego' and distrust comes along the way, so there is considerable ambivalence in that relationship. Russia and China are grudging partners, at best, but not allies. They do not trust each other, but they share common foes that they distrust even more.

North Korea at present is an unflinching ally but from Chinese perspective this regime probably serves as a useful buffer zone between an American military outpost and Chinese border.

Relations with other countries are officially friendly but nothing that China could count on in times of crisis.

Speaking exactly what ENDians want to hear, dont be a thank *****

Back
Top Bottom