What's new

China takes rights activists into custody

Reporters were unable to move about in the summer capital, Srinagar, because the local authorities cancelled their curfew passes. No newspapers were published on 10 July in protest against the restrictions.

This is from the RSF website.

What I find positive about it is that India is a free country where reporters, foreign and Indian, can go anywhere and report what they like.

And even if for security reasons they cannot move when a place is under curfew, they can be bold enough to protest (by not publishing) without fear of arrest.

During unrest in Tibet or when the anniversary was approaching of the protests in Tibet, tourists and foreign reporters were simply bundled out!

Maybe the Chinese way is the best way.

Thank you.

Indeed, it must have happened.

Such nonsense has to be stopped and it will be given the activism that has become a watchword these days of not only the media, but the NGO and even common people.

Notwithstanding, there is the Courts where just a PIL is adequate to bring such highhanded people to justice and what is important is the Right to Information Act. This is a very potent weapon in the hands of the common man and that is why the misdeeds are being exposed almost on a daily basis.

All highhandedness is a whimper these days and what is more, is that the Supreme Court is on a very activist mode and the Govt is up a gum tree these days.

Do google and check.

Do let me know how many publications from HK has commented on Tibet being given the status of HK or Macau?

Just for my knowledge, is the HK legislature totally a democratic organisation, of democratically elected representatives?

Did you read what you've quoted? It clearly stated South China Morning Post, one of the most prominent newspaper in Hong Kong published Harris' comments on the Tibet issue.

HK is not a democracy, I don't think anyone here claimed it's one. Its legislature has seats elected by so-called functional constituencies (special interests groups), in addition to seats elected by the general public. But not being a democracy doesn't prevent it from having a freer press than democracies like South Korea or Taiwan.

We both know the answer to that.

Like I said, Hong Kong has never been a Democracy. We can't elect our top leaders, and we don't have universal suffrage.

Yet this is still one of the most advanced cities on Earth. And no, I don't see the need for democracy. Especially if you cite India as an "example" of a democracy in a developing country.

Of course.

A imprisoned bird in a cage made of gold is more attractive for the observer than a free bird soaring the skies and having a full taste of freedom and independence of action!

haha this guy ray chinese obsession is out of controll , wht the point of spending so much time digging things about china and post them here where as most of us here not even bother to read. get a life buddy. LOL

he he he just to use your he he style!

Of course, such news are embarrassing for the robot minds conditioned like the Pavlovian canines!

Did you read what you've quoted? It clearly stated South China Morning Post, one of the most prominent newspaper in Hong Kong published Harris' comments on the Tibet issue.

HK is not a democracy, I don't think anyone here claimed it's one. Its legislature has seats elected by so-called functional constituencies (special interests groups), in addition to seats elected by the general public. But not being a democracy doesn't prevent it from having a freer press than democracies like South Korea or Taiwan.

It has not published Harris' op ed.

It has merely taken extracts.

Who knows that Harris op ed contained?

Self Censorship!!

If HK is not a democracy, then why are the Chinese posters, especially CD flaunting HK and freedom as if it is comparable to democracy!

It may have a freer media, but not a totally free media as is being flaunted by CD almost as if he is flashing the Sermon of the Mount!!

LOL. You guys still talking to that retard?

When are guys going to learn to just put him on your ignore list and let him roll in his own s**t?

A imprisoned bird in a cage made of gold is more attractive for the observer than a free bird soaring the skies and having a full taste of freedom and independence of action!

Hmm... let me think.

"Non-democratic" Hong Kong, one of the most advanced cities in the world, ranked #1 in economic freedom by the Wallstreet Journal, 2nd highest life expectancy in the world...

Or "Democratic" India, number one in poverty, malnutrition, starvation, lack of sanitation, etc. And 30 times less per capita income than HK.

I'll take my chances in non-democratic Hong Kong, thanks.

It's a shame that cultists of democracy usually are conditioned to believe only the utterance of their leaders. So what about this,

BBC News - Google says withdrawal from China 'exaggerated'

Sure, Chinese people want to use Google. They are like anybody else. What I mean is stop the cyber attacks and indirectly forcing Google to cull their presence. The ridiculous tax case is another move by the government to make Google look like the bad guy. If anything, ask Google for information about the people behind the email address and prosecute the people if they violated Chinese laws. All this clandestine cyber attacks means the Chinese government thinks it wont be successful in prosecuting these "dissidents" in a court of law. And that's why there is very little belief in what you or your fellow compatriots say. Because, the Chinese systems are not transparent. And then you come and post things like dissidents are crazies or Google evades taxes and completely lose credibility with everyone else. And then you want us to believe your BS. Doesnt work mate, doesnt work at all.

Please stop assuming others are fools. And stop your verbal pollution. You are just an unverifiable Internet contributor. I talk to real people from HK in NYC and very well know what is going on. I think you need to be provided an infraction for wasting bandwidth now.

I love this Y@nkee clown ... the best advertisement for Amriki these days. Do pls carry on.

OTOH, Prof Tiki is actually making some sense ... I'd have to take back what I said about him.

Now little dragon, just let it go. I don't know why you are "selling Hong Kong" to Professor Freedom and the other clown? Ask Professor if Goa could "vote" to separate from India, as my Goan friends think should happen ideally ... lol.

Look I am not even on your "wavelength" little dragon and I couldn't care less about bantering with fools ...

Is your time not valuable, lil' dragon?

LOL. You guys still talking to that retard?

When are guys going to learn to just put him on your ignore list and let him roll in his own s**t?

The language does make me believe that the CCP was correct to publish the handbook for Chinese to learn some manners.

Now, I understand why a totalitarian regime is essential to keep Chinese people, as visualised by the CCP, civilised!

We both know the answer to that.

Like I said, Hong Kong has never been a Democracy. We can't elect our top leaders, and we don't have universal suffrage.

Yet this is still one of the most advanced cities on Earth. And no, I don't see the need for democracy. Especially if you cite India as an "example" of a democracy in a developing country.

We are talking for the Mainlainders who are known to be some of the most Stammering People.

As a American I can say anything, anytime I want. Now just let Ray here be free and roll in his sacred cow S**t all day and make fun of people living far better lives.

I'll take my chances in non-democratic Hong Kong, thanks.

Of course you must.

An imprisoned bird must have lost the use of its legs and wings and so it must hibernate in the gilded cage and eat the handouts thrown by its master!!

Back
Top Bottom