What's new

China speaks better English than India, says study

Sino-Tibetan languages, being heavily syllabic (one consonant followed by one vowel, sometimes ending with soft consonants), do tend to present some handicap, shall a native speaker intend to learn a language of another family.
Countrary to popular belief, most Sino-Tibetan speakers do not have problem with the consonant "R"; however, they do have a @&*# of hard time with isolated hard consonants, e.g. the "S" in "is", which they tend to pronounce as "issuh".
The Japanese, which is heavily influence by Sinitic, tend to have similar problems. A classic case is the Japanese transliteration of Chrismas: Ku-ri-su-ma-su. Note that a vowel follows every consonant, or else they can't pronounce it at all!

Sino-Tibetan languages, being heavily syllabic (one consonant followed by one vowel, sometimes ending with soft consonants), do tend to present some handicap, shall a native speaker intend to learn a language of another family.
Countrary to popular belief, most Sino-Tibetan speakers do not have problem with the consonant "R"; however, they do have a @&*# of hard time with isolated hard consonants, e.g. the "S" in "is", which they tend to pronounce as "issuh".
The Japanese, which is heavily influence by Sinitic, tend to have similar problems. A classic case is the Japanese transliteration of Chrismas: Ku-ri-su-ma-su. Note that a vowel follows every consonant, or else they can't pronounce it at all!

I have no "probrem" with that. Just kidding.

The Japanese speakers are quite stiff in their pronunciation of English.

This is ridiculous . Congrats to China on mastering a foreign language - but

1) they will always have an accent like everyone across the english speaking world - from Canada , to Norway , to India , to Australia...etc
2) they will always have more numbers because of their population
3) their TOEFL , SAT scores will always be on par with other commonwealth countries
4) they will qualify for as many blue collar related jobs - call centres etc as Phillipines , India , Estonia etc.

so whats all the fuss about ?

I have no "probrem" with that. Just kidding.
As a part-time Chinese-Spanish interpreter, it's a huge problem for me when my Chinese clients try to show off their knowledge of English. I can't understand them half of the time: I no likuh Mekesican fooduh, you know?
Stop dragging those consonants!

Omission of the verb "to be", another common problem of Sinitic speakers. In standard Mandarin the verb "to be" is omitted whenever the object is an adjetive.
Conversely, equally retarded-sounding is the overuse of 是 by foregin beginners in Chinese languages.

Not really :D

Although we wouldn't expect this kind of hospitality being shown to Pakistani members on an Indian forum ;)

Behind every ounce of Hospitality there is a business sense too. :)

With nearly a third of the Traffic to the site coming from India (Link) there is not much surprise in the 'alleged' hospitality.

'China speaks better English than India, says study'

^^^ So? who gives a damn? Is development or Intelligence measured by the ability to speak English?

just sad really :/

well said.....

only one sensible guy i hv seen so far at ur side in this thread....

i don't even bother about english, it is just a tool while doing communication.... with diff. people....
i'll take pride in speaking hindi rather than english...

so when you guys are pretending to be indians in US, do you also copy the indian accent???

Americans pretend to be Canadians in Middle Eastern countries, Indians living in the US pretend to be Western & forget their Indian roots, sleep around with other people shamelessly, adopt Western names etc. It is not uncommon for Indians from Indian call centers in India named "George" or "Michael" haha, & speak in a pathetic accent to pass off as some Westerner!

hospitality???:rofl: I request members to check out bilalhaider's posts....you ll see his hospitality :rofl:

Don't worry, I do this all in good spirit & fun, I love Indians bashing Pakistanis, & the vice versa. I don't mean to offend anyone, & if I did, I'm sorry :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom