What's new

China Reported to Have Placed Order for 15,000 UAVs from Iran, Deliveries Underway

SalarHaqq

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
According to a senior adviser to Iran's Ministry of Intelligence speaking at a ceremony at Qazvin International University, China has ordered 15,000 Iranian UAV's, of which numerous examples have been delivered already.

The official added that some 90 countries have shown interest in acquiring Iranian-made drones.

"Since the day we turned to the East, the West could not bear it and an example was the war in Ukraine," he said.

This will represent a great step forward in bilateral security cooperation.

Last edited:
Is this meant to be a joke ?

Elaborate please.

Although the statement's unverified for now, prior to the unveiling of Iranian drones in Russian service most people would have laughed off the notion that Moscow would ever purchase a consequent amount of UAV's from Iran.

China is certainly ahead of Russia in this area and has probably been fielding a significantly larger fleet of drones, however the pretty unique cost effectiveness of Iranian-made weaponry (not least because of the current exchange rate of the Rial) makes it a potentially attractive procurement including for advanced nations which produce their own equivalents. The comparative advantage would lie in the sheer numbers of relatively simple yet functional items Iran could supply for a given price tag, as an expendable complement to existing domestically-manufactured arsenals, to be used in niche roles in case of a conflict.

So I for one wouldn't completely discount the possibility as of yet.

Last edited:
According to a senior adviser to Iran's Ministry of Intelligence speaking at a ceremony at Qazvin International University, China has ordered 15,000 Iranian UAV's, of which numerous examples have been delivered already.

The official added that some 90 countries have shown interest in acquiring Iranian-made drones.

"Since the day we turned to the East, the West could not bear it and an example was the war in Ukraine," he said.

This will represent a great step forward in bilateral security cooperation.

This is absolutely senseless,
Why would a country with the world's most efficient if not biggest manufacturing base
order drones from Iran ?

Elaborate please.

Although the statement's unverified for now, prior to the unveiling of Iranian drones in Russian service most people would have laughed off the notion that Moscow would ever purchase a consequent amount of UAV's from Iran.

China is certainly ahead of Russia in this area and has probably been fielding a significantly larger fleet of drones, however the pretty unique cost effectiveness of Iranian-made weaponry (not least because of the current exchange rate of the Rial) makes it a potentially attractive procurement including for advanced nations which produce their own equivalents. The comparative advantage would lie in the sheer numbers of relatively simple yet functional items Iran could supply for a given price tag, as an expendable complement to existing domestically-manufactured arsenals, to be used in niche roles in case of a conflict.

So I for one wouldn't completely discount the possibility as of yet.
I mean China is not short of manufacturing capacity to produce the required UAV for the military. Do iranian UAV meet Chinese military requirements, I doubt. Why China need that many UAV now ? It is not plausible to me, China is not Russia that cant prouduce its own UAVs.

I mean China is not short of manufacturing capacity to produce the required UAV for the military.

03_turbine_3.jpg

Iranian industrial group MAPNA's MGT-75 gas turbine presented in 2021, with a power output of 82 MW. They charge customers 350 billion Rials apiece, which amounts to 1.75 million USD applying Iran's free exchange rate of early 2021.

This is less than 10% the cost of an equivalent product from Siemens of Germany.

Can you confirm the price tag of a Chinese variant will be quite as low?

Do iranian UAV meet Chinese military requirements, I doubt. Why China need that many UAV now ?

Who knows? Reliable, expendable, extra cheap and above all proven (Ukraine war) suicide drones for instance could be considered a useful addition to China's military might, and could be deemed to have a place in combined arms operations in the theoretical conflict scenarii China is preparing for.

Last edited:
Yeah not in a million years. Fake news is fake. Until china confirms then it is just fake news like Indian news channels. China can make hundreds of different type of drones some extremely advanced and some very cheap suicide drone. Look up the Chinese UAV thread if you want to be educated.

How China became the world’s leading exporter of combat drones

3 reasons why China is the global drones leader

How did China become the king of the drone world? Using from Saudi to Myanmar and from Iraq to Ethiopia

Back
Top Bottom