What's new

China Plane Crashes With 132 On Board; No Sign Of Survivors, Says Report

It's a mistake to keep on using the 737.
It is too early to tell what went wrong. The 737 is a reliable workhorse in many fleets around the world. Let the investigation happen before you pass judgement.

besides this was not a 737-Max plane.

It's a mistake to keep on using the 737.
Most Domestic flights in the US use 737s. I was flying in one a few months back and the pilot did the hardest landing I have seen. some passengers screamed and if it wasn't for the seat belt my head would have hit the cabin compartment above. But they seem safe enough, I have flown on hundreds of them without any problems.

They cut corners with the 737 max. The 777 should be OK to fly.
Still there has to be some flaw in their engineering or testing processes. Something is not adding up and I think govt is trying to brush it under the carpet so not to lose market to European Airbus or Chinese company,

Data from FR24 indicates pilot are trying hard to salvage the situation. We can rule out pilot suicide. Pilot succeed for a while and the plane climb.

1647910412014.png

Most Domestic flights in the US use 737s. I was flying in one a few months back and the pilot did the hardest landing I have seen. some passengers screamed and if it wasn't for the seat belt my head would have hit the cabin compartment above. But they seem safe enough, I have flown on hundreds of them without any problems.
Did you know that often, not always, a hard landing even at the risk of frightening some passengers, is necessary?

So, why will pilots land firmly?​
First of all, their training manuals for aircraft such as the Boeing 737 specifically state: “Do not allow the airplane to float: fly the airplane onto the runway. Do not extend the flare by increasing pitch attitude in an attempt to achieve a perfectly smooth touchdown.” (In layperson’s terms: Don’t pull the nose up for too long just prior to touchdown. “Flaring” means pulling the nose up.)​
There are few good reasons to fly the airplane onto the runway. One is very simple: a runway is a coveted space. You don’t want to hog it when there are dozens of other airplanes that need to get on it quick.​
“I fly in to the 10 busiest airports in the world. Many of those are high-intensity runway operations. You want to get on the runway, and get off to the nearest taxiway. It’s not the time for finesse and a smooth landing,” said Air Canada’s Morris.​
“[LaGuardia] is a good example. It’s basically like landing on a short-field runway every time,” he said, noting that he flew frequently to LGA as a captain on the A320. “We’re going to flare but with no float. We aim to pick a spot on the runway and put it there.”​
“On landing, it’s important to be in the correct place at the correct speed,” Brady said. “You don’t want to be 10 or 20 knots too fast, and not set up to land at the right spot on the runway.”​
What a shocker...!!! A 737 manual said do not make soft landing.

To get into more details, when an airplane land, there has to be some ways to slow it down, and to the laymen, brakes ARE NOT the only way. The larger the airplane, the greater the need to have MULTIPLE ways to slow down. Brakes alone will heat up into a condition call 'hot brakes' and it is literally an EXPLOSIVE condition, endangering ground crews and even passengers.

Keywords search 'landing hot brakes explosion'.

So to use other methods with brakes to slow down, the best way is to create drag, kill lift over the wings, and reverse thrust when possible. To kill lift over the wings, we use 'spoilers' or panels that flips up at less than 90 deg. So with this method, we kill lift and create drag, then reverse thrust at some time later. Brakes are applied at captain's discretion during the high speed stage of the landing process. A 'hard' or 'firm' landing is to create the IMMEDIATE deployment of the spoilers via the 'weight on wheels' (WOW) switches in the nose and main gear struts. This is why the 737 landing manual says to 'fly the airplane onto the runway'. Get on the runway ASAP even if the landing maybe 'firm' enough to frighten some passengers. The main gears can handle it. Floating or taking your time to land may create asymmetric WOW switches activation, meaning one strut have airplane weight but the other do not so no spoilers will deploy, which will make your landing roll longer on the runway which equals to hogging runway time which make you a bad captain which will move with you throughout your aviation career. Believe it or not, despite there are tens of thousands of commercial pilots all over the world, ATC can and do keep track of who are the good/bad pilots and they do gossip to each other.

That is enough paragraphs for now. I can sense some people's minds already blurred over.

Did you know that often, not always, a hard landing even at the risk of frightening some passengers, is necessary?

So, why will pilots land firmly?​
First of all, their training manuals for aircraft such as the Boeing 737 specifically state: “Do not allow the airplane to float: fly the airplane onto the runway. Do not extend the flare by increasing pitch attitude in an attempt to achieve a perfectly smooth touchdown.” (In layperson’s terms: Don’t pull the nose up for too long just prior to touchdown. “Flaring” means pulling the nose up.)​
There are few good reasons to fly the airplane onto the runway. One is very simple: a runway is a coveted space. You don’t want to hog it when there are dozens of other airplanes that need to get on it quick.​
“I fly in to the 10 busiest airports in the world. Many of those are high-intensity runway operations. You want to get on the runway, and get off to the nearest taxiway. It’s not the time for finesse and a smooth landing,” said Air Canada’s Morris.​
“[LaGuardia] is a good example. It’s basically like landing on a short-field runway every time,” he said, noting that he flew frequently to LGA as a captain on the A320. “We’re going to flare but with no float. We aim to pick a spot on the runway and put it there.”​
“On landing, it’s important to be in the correct place at the correct speed,” Brady said. “You don’t want to be 10 or 20 knots too fast, and not set up to land at the right spot on the runway.”​
What a shocker...!!! A 737 manual said do not make soft landing.

To get into more details, when an airplane land, there has to be some ways to slow it down, and to the laymen, brakes ARE NOT the only way. The larger the airplane, the greater the need to have MULTIPLE ways to slow down. Brakes alone will heat up into a condition call 'hot brakes' and it is literally an EXPLOSIVE condition, endangering ground crews and even passengers.

Keywords search 'landing hot brakes explosion'.

So to use other methods with brakes to slow down, the best way is to create drag, kill lift over the wings, and reverse thrust when possible. To kill lift over the wings, we use 'spoilers' or panels that flips up at less than 90 deg. So with this method, we kill lift and create drag, then reverse thrust at some time later. Brakes are applied at captain's discretion during the high speed stage of the landing process. A 'hard' or 'firm' landing is to create the IMMEDIATE deployment of the spoilers via the 'weight on wheels' (WOW) switches in the nose and main gear struts. This is why the 737 landing manual says to 'fly the airplane onto the runway'. Get on the runway ASAP even if the landing maybe 'firm' enough to frighten some passengers. The main gears can handle it. Floating or taking your time to land may create asymmetric WOW switches activation, meaning one strut have airplane weight but the other do not so no spoilers will deploy, which will make your landing roll longer on the runway which equals to hogging runway time which make you a bad captain which will move with you throughout your aviation career. Believe it or not, despite there are tens of thousands of commercial pilots all over the world, ATC can and do keep track of who are the good/bad pilots and they do gossip to each other.

That is enough paragraphs for now. I can sense some people's minds already blurred over.
but why 1 flight out of 100 did it? It was a big bang than a hard landing. I've been in hard landings where the plane has bounced on the runway but nothing like when this 737 was slammed onto the runway. Definitely some unusual event or pilot misjudgment caused it. First time I thought I was in a near plane crash.

but why 1 flight out of 100 did it? It was a big bang than a hard landing. I've been in hard landings where the plane has bounced on the runway but nothing like when this 737 was slammed onto the runway. Definitely some unusual event or pilot misjudgment caused it. First time I thought I was in a near plane crash.
I do not know. Crosswind? Landing priorities/scheduling? Something on the runway that the aircrew must avoid? Yes, we can consider pilot skills. Essentially we do not know. So from now on, every time you fly, you know a little bit more about aviation than before.

I do not know. Crosswind? Landing priorities/scheduling? Something on the runway that the aircrew must avoid? Yes, we can consider pilot skills. Essentially we do not know. So from now on, every time you fly, you know a little bit more about aviation than before.
Or he was a Naval aviator, just slam it on the deck.

was it 737 Max? bloody piece of crap was grounded because of stupidity of Boeing
The 737 MAX is crap for its software. But Boeing has been very sloppy in its workmanship across the military and civilian planes they made. US Army had to reject a batch of transporters they made because of the garbage of metals and stuff inside the floors and compartments.

The 737 MAX is crap for its software. But Boeing has been very sloppy in its workmanship across the military and civilian planes they made. US Army had to reject a batch of transporters they made because of the garbage of metals and stuff inside the floors and compartments.

Boeing outsource a lot of activities now become something like project manager and SI.

Problem is if you hollow out your engineering, the project management lead will be incompetent and easy to deceive. They also deceive senior managers. These project manager just hope nothing happens in their tenure, then they move up, and at higher level, they can delegate blame.

And nowadays there are serious problems of junkies workers. It is difficult to find discipline workers in US today.

Hundreds of US pilots flies the Max.
Why? Too complex to operate?

I believe you need a refresher course on Boeing. These very same arguments were made but are far far away from reality. Boeing is not what it used to be, Max is a flawed design. Watch the DOWNFALL: The Case Against Boeing which is available on Netflix, will help put things in perspective.

Back
Top Bottom