What's new

China or India?

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello my Iranian friends. I am just curious about how Iranians feel about China and India. China is rising power and no dobut will be knocking at Iran's door soon. I know India is getting closer to US and Isreal.

But I am wondering between China and India whose influence will previail in the long term on Iran? Of course you would want both but but if push came to shove. Take a look at India. When it came to choosing between USA and Iran India chose USA based on it's interests.

Look forward to your views guys.

@Serpentine

It is a hard question to ask. China has already emerged, while India is emerging and could become one of the main economic engine of the world. Both have a billion plus population and big time energy guzzlers, hence huge market for Iran. I guess Iran does't have to make a choice between India and China as Iran's relations with India and China are not mutually exclusive.

Why are you thinking Iran will choose between India and China? What makes you think Iran cannot have great relations (economical, military etc) with both of them?

There is not just right and wrong answers. There are also right and wrong questions. Your question is not a right question to ask, especially because the choices of answers you offer are not realistic, certainly not in real life as far as Iran is concerned. There is no push comes to shove which means Iran has to chose between the two. Sanctions made it difficult to deal with both China and India. I don't see a situation where Iran has to choose between them.

The Indians can have relations with US and Israel. This does not concern Iran. India did not choose the US over Iran but they had to go along with the sanction because they had little other choice otherwise they would have been sanctioned. However despite the sanctions, the Indians still did not completely comply with the US in the sanctions. Same goes for China.

I know Pakistanis would love to see Iran cut its relations with India. But this is like child fantasy. It will not happen. From now on, Iran's relations with India will only increase, same with our relation with China. If Pakistan does not want to be left behind, then you guys need to develop your country and have things to offer. Forget these fantasies about Iran choosing x country over India.

Why are you thinking Iran will choose between India and China? What makes you think Iran cannot have great relations (economical, military etc) with both of them?
Well said, its a moronic question devoid of any merit. Every country will have relations with country based on its wants and needs. Neither Iran or India will try to influence each other politically both are big and mature countries looking to provide better life for their citizens.

Iran should have good relations with both India and china which will help their economy grow. India has relations with china so does china with US. India on its part has always been trying to be non-aligned and have best possible relations with other countries. India has always argued that sanctions or war will not bring lasting peace and never willingly endorsed any sanctions. Like Iran , India has been there under western sanctions and seen it all.

Problem with pakistan is like USA they are obsessed with "either you are with me or against me" attitude.

There is not just right and wrong answers. There are also right and wrong questions. Your question is not a right question to ask, especially because the choices of answers you offer are not realistic, certainly not in real life as far as Iran is concerned. There is no push comes to shove which means Iran has to chose between the two. Sanctions made it difficult to deal with both China and India. I don't see a situation where Iran has to choose between them.

The Indians can have relations with US and Israel. This does not concern Iran. India did not choose the US over Iran but they had to go along with the sanction because they had little other choice otherwise they would have been sanctioned. However despite the sanctions, the Indians still did not completely comply with the US in the sanctions. Same goes for China.

I know Pakistanis would love to see Iran cut its relations with India. But this is like child fantasy. It will not happen. From now on, Iran's relations with India will only increase, same with our relation with China. If Pakistan does not want to be left behind, then you guys need to develop your country and have things to offer. Forget these fantasies about Iran choosing x country over India.

My friend no need to be so ascerbic. There are some good Iranian's here so out of respect to them I am going hold fire because rest assured whatever you can throw so can I.

Now every question a person asks is by definition subjective and laced with partiality. In a sense a question carries the prejudices and thought processes of the person who devised that question. So you can bloody excuse me for being Pakistani. What was I going to do, ask you a question like a bloody Isreli? Whatever crap you write here comes out of your head and is warped by your "Iranian" thinking. Most of your countryman talk with some respect. Where did you come from? Were you born the wrong way or something?

The question I asked was serious. If you think Iran will choose the middle road then so be it. Say so. The reason I asked is as the sanction regime is relaxed I expect there will be a rush to the Iranian market. I was wondering which country out of India or China is going to prevail here.

And don't bother replying to this thread. I await for other Iranians to give me a answer.

Ps. If you have such a problem with Pakistani's frankly I don't what your doing here. I am sure there are lots of Indian websites. I am sure we are not going to miss you here.

China is a matured dying economy while India still has room to grow as an emerging market. The recent crash is only the tip of the iceberg in China. For Iran having good relations with both is best so it can do business with both countries but to answer the question of the thread I think India is the most logical choice for Iran. India is not expansionist and aggressive as China. India is still doing better than China economically. India has good relations with strong economies abroad. India doesn't cheat and respects the rules. India is trust-able partner that doesn't want to create havoc in the region. There are probably more reasons but this I what I could think from the top of my head.

Both would prevail. Indian and Chinese models are different. Though China is manufacturing giant and India is a services giant. The real India china market wars will be fought where indians try to get manufacturing contracts and chinese try to get services contract. And like always it will be the best firm to win.

I would rather hear from the Iranian's or not at all. And don't tell me both will prevail. Always one party ends up having greater say. It is never 50/50. Does not work like that in real life,

Lets take a usecase here for the US market. US market is flooded with chinese goods but at the same time the services industry is full of Indians.

Wiseguy, that maybe the case but on the whole which side is US tilted toward? Even the deaf and dumb hillbillies know US is tilted toward India.

Indian members.. this thread is mainly about views from Iranian members as I can see. May be the Afghans, Turks etc can contribute too.
So, as of now, try to make yourself scarce :P

Chances are similar to how the Chinese do most of the Iranian's are going to reserve their thoughts except for the hindmost whose already spouted.

The fact is USA and India are heading toward some sort of strategic alliance which in time will shape up into some type of military architecture also. Therefore I am wondering where is Iran going manouvre itself in this increasing US/Indian alliance.

This will correllate with the increasing Chinese presence in this part of the world. My question was more related to this. For example I saw some Iranian members talking about buying Chinese fighters in particulae as Chinese technology improves. One of the reasons they gave was Chinese fighters would not be "sanction proof".

Wiseguy, that maybe the case but on the whole which side is US tilted toward? Even the deaf and dumb hillbillies know US is tilted toward India.
Absolutely wrong america only works for its interest. It neither cares for pakistan nor for india. If what you are saying is correct america would have gone all out helping eliminating terrorists from pakistan for india. America just provides lip sympathy on terrorism , if they wanted they would have imposed sanctions like they had imposed on iran,libya,cuba...etc.

Isnt David headley happily enjoying his life in US prison ?

China is a matured dying economy while India still has room to grow as an emerging market. The recent crash is only the tip of the iceberg in China. For Iran having good relations with both is best so it can do business with both countries but to answer the question of the thread I think India is the most logical choice for Iran. India is not expansionist and aggressive as China. India is still doing better than China economically. India has good relations with strong economies abroad. India doesn't cheat and respects the rules. India is trust-able partner that doesn't want to create havoc in the region. There are probably more reasons but this I what I could think from the top of my head.
Indian economic growth is directly linked with US economy. Check the figures. But China has much diversification and cover the whole globe .Even Center to South America. Where they are owning multi million dollar coffee farms. Not only this , they are supplying spare parts to Boeing Defence industry. Over all China is way far ahead, that I personally think, India can not catch China at all. China has huge export surplus without touching the local market. Imagine, China has not float is currency in international market yet.

Last edited:
Absolutely wrong america only works for its interest. It neither cares for pakistan nor for india. If what you are saying is correct america would have gone all out helping eliminating terrorists from pakistan for india. America just provides lip sympathy on terrorism , if they wanted they would have imposed sanctions like they had imposed on iran,libya,cuba...etc.

Isnt David headley happily enjoying his life in US prison ?

Do you have comprehension problems? When or where did I say US runs a charity? Yes, I have heard of Macchiavelli and I also know what self interest means. I will ignore rest of your disjointed garbage.

Chances are similar to how the Chinese do most of the Iranian's are going to reserve their thoughts except for the hindmost whose already spouted.

The fact is USA and India are heading toward some sort of strategic alliance which in time will shape up into some type of military architecture also. Therefore I am wondering where is Iran going manouvre itself in this increasing US/Indian alliance.

This will correllate with the increasing Chinese presence in this part of the world. My question was more related to this. For example I saw some Iranian members talking about buying Chinese fighters in particulae as Chinese technology improves. One of the reasons they gave was Chinese fighters would not be "sanction proof".
Well, US , Russia and Europe push hard to confront China through India, but Russia withdraw from this race now and rest of EU and US economic resources are not enough to give great push against China. India is and was never under any type of sanction from West. But China still under many sanctions.
But to explore Indian and Chinese market Iran need Pakistan.

Indian economic growth is directly linked with US economy. Check the figures. But China has much diversification and cover the whole globe .Even Center to South America. Where they are owning multi million dollar coffee farms. Not only this , they are supplying spare parts to Boeing Defence industry. Over all China is way far ahead, that I personally think, India can not catch China at all. China has huge export surplus without touching the local market. Imagine, China has not float is currency to local market yet.

Todays India is Cghina of 1998-2000.... check the figures. Our exports are just starting to take off (currently at 350 billion$) and our economy is 2.3 trillion$ with an average growth of 7-8%. Even if we maintain this growth, India will be a 5 trillion $ economy in 2022-3.

I agree India is way way behind of TODAY'S China. But , as was China a decade ago, we are experiencing the same boom, only a bit better because:

1) Our demographic dividend is more than China. Average age of Indians is in the mid 20s... so a huge labour force that can be tapped
2) Unlike China, we have good relations with almost all the nations (including Israel, Iran, USA, Russia, etc.) In fact, China is still seen suspiciously in the west.
3) With Chinese growth maturing and saturating (they just lost 4 trillion $ for God's sake), India is the logical next economic rising giant.

Well, US , Russia and Europe push hard to confront China through India, but Russia withdraw from this race now and rest of EU and US economic resources are not enough to give great push against China. India is and was never under any type of sanction from West. But China still under many sanctions.
But to explore Indian and Chinese market Iran need Pakistan

Whose fault it is? Isn't it our diplomatic victory that we can purchase 5th gen fighters/ aircraft carriers from Russia on one hand and have C-17/ P8I from USA? We are perhaps the only country to have a strategic relationship with Israel and the best partner of Iran in Mid-East/ South Asia. Even if we are your enemies, you guys have to admit that we Indians have done a pretty good job diplomatically.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom