What's new

China and India: Contest of the century

If a person earned a bachelor degree in Hong Kong, he should also have a same standard of living in their country especially for a country which claims to be more developed than ours.

This is my final comment, take it as you understand it. I don't have to explain it any anonymous person on a obscure forum.

OK in my experience, Hong Kong people with bachelors degrees and decent jobs are able to afford their own apartments. Despite Hong Kong having some of the highest property prices in the world.

However Hong Kong people tend to be quite conservative when it comes to money, and if they can find a way to save money, they will do that. If that means living with a room mate or some other arrangement then they will do that.

So basically just because they HAVE the money, doesn't mean that they will spend it. From what I have observed, this behaviour applies to Chinese people all over the world.

I am well-off by Hong Kong standards, but I rarely buy any luxury goods. Even rich billionaire tycoons in Hong Kong will avoid spending money if they can, and will probably still try to get a 5 dollar discount on a meal. :azn:

Last edited:
OK in my experience, Hong Kong people with bachelors degrees and decent jobs are able to afford their own apartments. Despite Hong Kong having some of the highest property prices in the world.

However Hong Kong people tend to be quite conservative when it comes to money, and if they can find a way to save money, they will do that. If that means living with a room mate or some other arrangement then they will do that.

So basically just because they HAVE the money, doesn't mean that they will spend it.

Here is your claim in bold part. That's just your experience. Can you prove your claim? Was there a research that said, Hong Kong people are averse to spending to have a better life.

Here is your claim in bold part. That's just your experience. Can you prove your claim? Was there a research that said, Hong Kong people are averse to spending to have a better life.

Now you're just being ridiculous. In the first line of my post I said "In my experience..." :rolleyes:

Anyway here you go:

Economists defend China's high savings rate - China Daily

China's gross saving rate... which includes both public and private saving, is around 50 percent.

By contrast, the saving rate in the United States is the lowest of any major country - roughly 10 percent of GDP.

Economist's View - Differences in saving rates

Last edited:
Now you're just being ridiculous. In the first line of my post I said "In my experience..." :rolleyes:

I cannot accept your assumption based on your experience like you cannot accept a 2 people comparison.

I had enough of this. I have respect for you. I wouldn't want get into argument with you. Let's just stop here. We both have different perspective. Lets agree to disagree.

I remember reading that our Govt assigned approx $411 billion for infrastructure development for 2010-2015(not sure).I wonder how much of it will go to the Swiss banks :hitwall:

If some infrastructure development does take place we"ll see most of it mostly in South India not anywhere else.:frown:

The "plan" is a $trillion up to 2017.........

I cannot accept your assumption based on your experience like you cannot accept a 2 people comparison.

I had enough of this. I have respect for you. I wouldn't want get into argument with you. Let's just stop here. We both have different perspective. Lets agree to disagree.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about you.

Even though I said "in my experience"... you still chose to hound me, and even then, I still backed it up with data about saving rates. You've made absolutely zero effort on your part to back anything up.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about you.

Even though I said "in my experience"... you still chose to hound me, and even then, I still backed it up with data about saving rates. You've made absolutely zero effort on your part to back anything up.

I don't care. Also I did notice that you said 'in my experience' in your post. I also mentioned 'that was your experience' in my post. It wasn't me who chose to hound you but you getting nationalistic fervor to your posts.

See my above post about relative saving rate. Don't jump to post before thorough reading of what was said.

This should be relative to India. For your assumption to be true, India should have a low savings rate. But we all know that's not true. Indians also have a high savings rate.

I didn't say anything about India in that post above, but I'll back up this straw man argument anyway.

How China Achieved World's Highest Household Savings Rate | from AllBusiness.com

Not sure why I'm having to back this up, considering I said "in my experience". But I'll be nice and back it up anyway.

Do you have even one single source to back up what you said before?

I didn't say anything about India in that post above, but I'll back up this straw man argument anyway.

How China Achieved World's Highest Household Savings Rate | from AllBusiness.com

Not sure why I'm having to back this up, considering I said "in my experience". But I'll be nice and back it up anyway.

Do you have even one single source to back up what you said before?

Here we go.

How Household Savings Stack Up in Asia, the West, and Latin America - BusinessWeek

Now if both Chinese and Indian have a similar savings rate, then how come one is willing to stay in a room with 6 others and other renting an apartment of his own. Unless there is a significant difference in their relative wages.

So your claim of having high saving rate for not willing to rent an apartment is debunked.

Here we go.

How Household Savings Stack Up in Asia, the West, and Latin America - BusinessWeek

Now if both Chinese and Indian have a similar savings rate, then how come one is willing to stay in a room with 6 others and other renting an apartment of his own. Unless there is a significant difference in their standard of living.

So your claim of having high saving rate for not willing to rent an apartment is debunked.

That doesn't back up your claim at all. I on the other hand did not make a claim, I said "in my experience" which means that it's just my opinion, but I backed it up anyway.

Show me the standard of living in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai vs. that of Mumbai and Delhi.

If you actually think someone who lives in Hong Kong, would move to India to gain an increase of standard of living, you must be joking.

Let it go, he's dangling out on a limb now and trying to save face.

You're right, I'm just going to ignore this guy. He has been whining for the last two pages without doing a single thing to back up his claims, while I had the decency to back up things that were only my opinion.

If he actually believes that people would move from Hong Kong to India, in order to increase their standard of living, then what can I do.

Yeah he should move to India so he can live free of the clutch of the evil CCP I can't wait to see his reply to this tomorrow

Ok again not a threat, an observation and a prediction. Don't be so upset about it.

A sample size of .... 2 so no not enough. Guess you weren't a stats or math major.

Yep not the one making the claims.

Oh, ya. Look at the comments you made on this thread. Your ingenuity just blows me away. You gotta be Einstein of reasoning. How large is your head?

Last edited:
ummmm I dunno this big?

[========================================================]

ps adjust for monitor size

Back
Top Bottom