What's new

China and India: Contest of the century

That doesn't back up your claim at all. I on the other hand did not make a claim, I said "in my experience" which means that it's just my opinion, but I backed it up anyway.

Show me the standard of living in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai vs. that of Mumbai and Delhi.

If you actually think someone who lives in Hong Kong, would move to India to gain an increase of standard of living, you must be joking.

Are you kidding me? Are you so thick headed to even understand this? In India, there are lot of poor who are not educated. But people who are educated have a decent life with a decent salary.

I made a comparison with what 'below_freezing' said about his living arrangements. Like I said, take it as you understand it. You are not my professor to fail me if I don't provide the proof.

No contest, both nations will learn to live together. That's the way it has been for centuries

Off-Topic: CS, CD & TI. Get a room ladies :P

No contest, both nations will learn to live together. That's the way it has been for centuries

Agreed, cooperation is the future. :cheers:

Like it said in the "Pew Global Attitudes report", the majority of Chinese people see India as a "cooperative partner". (http://pewglobal.org/2010/10/20/indians-see-threat-from-pakistan-extremist-groups/)

The way I see it, we can either cooperate for mutual gain, or get into a conflict for mutual loss. The only one who gains from a China-India conflict is the USA.

Last edited:
All true. Thats why China is land of cheap products. Because Chinese Government is effectively able to set the wage rate, they were able to make cheap products. Would you be living like that, if you were getting better wages. In India, governments can't regulate the wage rate. India, people would get wages based on their qualifications. I am assuming you have atleast a bachelors degree. In India, a software engineer with a bachelor degree may not be living in a mansion, but he can definitely be able to rent an apartment for himself with all those facilities that you said you have.

That's because a bachelor's degree in India is not common; in fact, people who can read are also pretty uncommon. 20% of Chinese have a bachelor's degree. My situation's worse since my field is not in demand: biochemistry. A software engineer in China is also pretty rich, starts at 3000 RMB per month in my city, can go up to 10000 RMB with experience. in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, etc it's even more.

However, I fail to see what living with others has to do with anything. The difference is, most people in China have access to clean water, everyone has access to running water that's publically owned (no water trucks here!), public electricity lines, public transportation, internet, cell phones, etc. Living with others is just a way to save money. I COULD live alone on my earnings, but it's not important to me, and it'll consume my savings.

That's because a bachelor's degree in India is not common; in fact, people who can read are also pretty uncommon. 20% of Chinese have a bachelor's degree. My situation's worse since my field is not in demand: biochemistry. A software engineer in China is also pretty rich, starts at 3000 RMB per month in my city, can go up to 10000 RMB with experience. in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, etc it's even more.

However, I fail to see what living with others has to do with anything. The difference is, most people in China have access to clean water, everyone has access to running water that's publically owned (no water trucks here!), public electricity lines, public transportation, internet, cell phones, etc. Living with others is just a way to save money. I COULD live alone on my earnings, but it's not important to me, and it'll consume my savings.

That's exactly my point. My government may suck at providing these facilities to all its people. But a person with your qualification could live just as well if not better in India.

Your Government is able to provide all those facilities because there are more people who are educated, working and pay taxes for all that. I never claimed India is as developed as China. All I meant was with similar credentials one can have a similar lifestyle in India or may be better one.

china has a defected record of copy-right-voilations , which is now start feeding fears into many countries to putup thier new menufecturing bases in china...

That's exactly my point. My government may suck at providing these facilities to all its people. But a person with your qualification could live just as well if not better in India.

Your Government is able to provide all those facilities because there are more people who are educated, working and pay taxes for all that. I never claimed India is as developed as China. All I meant was with similar credentials one can have a similar lifestyle in India or may be better one.

i agree. the relative worth of a bachelor's degree in india is higher than that in china. i wouldn't be surprised if an indian with the same degree as me lived better at all. however, i'm "just average" in chinese society, and i already live a comparable (though may not be better) life than this "exceptional" indian. the indian with the same degree is "exceptional" in indian society. if we were comparing the same fields, computers to computers, the chinese software engineer would probably live better. it's probably the 2nd highest paying field.

i agree. the relative worth of a bachelor's degree in india is higher than that in china. i wouldn't be surprised if an indian with the same degree as me lived better at all. however, i'm "just average" in chinese society, and i already live a comparable (though may not be better) life than this "exceptional" indian. the indian with the same degree is "exceptional" in indian society. if we were comparing the same fields, computers to computers, the chinese software engineer would probably live better. it's probably the 2nd highest paying field.

Ok. But your figures 3000 RMB per month for an entry level candidate is still lower than what we get here in India. In infosys, an entry level candidate gets 3.2 lakhs per annum (close to 48000 RMB). With just 4 years of experience their salary raises to 7 lacks per annum(110000 RMB). Not to mention purchasing power parity difference in both the countries.

Back
Top Bottom