What's new

Cash-strapped Iran struggles to maintain sway over Iraq militias

The only religious Shias who dislike Iranian government are the Shirazis as for the Shia protesters most of them are liberals and seculars not religious

They do not need to hate Iran, they want independent Iraq. And lots of them are religious young guys. Many associated with some popular Iraqi scholars and movements in Iraq.

Shias have shared belief system but that's it. Religion is not enough to unite people. No religious group is united. These PMU militias were gunning down Iraqi shia activists and protestors during late 2019 up to early 2020. Also money plays a role in their formation, Iraq doesn't have great economy and easy way to get good salary is join these militias or even better have higher position in them. Especially if you're lazy or your degree is not getting you anywhere.

Regardless, though, Iraq not getting anywhere as long as these militias continue interfering in political process of the country.

You all seem to have a short memory. There were no active militia's in Iraq before 2014, all were disbanded after 2008. Meanwhile Arab states actively campaigned against the Iraqi army as the Maliki Militia's (Quwwat al Maliki as Al-Arabiyah was calling them).

Iraq needs to keep PMU, Army, ISOF and do anything it has to do to secure itself against the threats; mainly ISIS and the Kurdish sabotaging entities.

It's too late to remove the PMU now, call me Irani all you want lol.

You all seem to have a short memory. There were no active militia's in Iraq before 2014, all were disbanded after 2008. Meanwhile Arab states actively campaigned against the Iraqi army as the Maliki Militia's (Quwwat al Maliki as Al-Arabiyah was calling them).

Iraq needs to keep PMU, Army, ISOF and do anything it has to do to secure itself against the threats; mainly ISIS and the Kurdish sabotaging entities.

It's too late to remove the PMU now, call me Irani all you want lol.

What makes you think I care what Arab states think? This is about Iraq and Iraqi people, if Iraqi people want to take a jump start and move ahead than it is better for them to dissolve the non-state militias and force them to disband and integrate into army. Iraqi army with US support is more than equipped to deal with ISIS threat.

That is wishful thinking if you believe PMU is ever going to threaten the Kurds. Iran, US and ex-Maliki gov't elements all agreed upon on Kurdish autonomy before toppling Saddam and all agreed to have their piece of cake. They are not gonna violate conditions they agreed upon anytime soon. Kurds in Iraq have full blessing of Iran and PMU.

Iraq needs a real democratic process when it comes to electing candidates and Iraqi activists cannot be threatened and killed by pro-Iran elements within the country. This is how Iraq will have to move forward and focus on future of country otherwise your progress is paralyzed by Iran and the US/Israel.

What makes you think I care what Arab states think? This is about Iraq and Iraqi people, if Iraqi people want to take a jump start and move ahead than it is better for them to dissolve the non-state militias and force them to disband and integrate into army. Iraqi army with US support is more than equipped to deal with ISIS threat.

That is wishful thinking if you believe PMU is ever going to threaten the Kurds. Iran, US and ex-Maliki gov't elements all agreed upon on Kurdish autonomy before toppling Saddam and all agreed to have their piece of cake. They are not gonna violate conditions they agreed upon anytime soon. Kurds in Iraq have full blessing of Iran and PMU.

Iraq needs a real democratic process when it comes to electing candidates and Iraqi activists cannot be threatened and killed by pro-Iran elements within the country. This is how Iraq will have to move forward and focus on future of country otherwise your progress is paralyzed by Iran and the US/Israel.

That's all theoretical, on paper stuff. Idealistic situations which won't reflect reality.

Let us talk about the actual implications of disbanding the PMU, that is disarming this force and incorporating its fighters in army brigades in Iraq's current situation.

Iraqi army is fragile and vulnerable, they may have heavy weaponry and big numbers but they're influenced by Iraq's corrupt political system. US is unpredictable with what they do under The Donald. PMU is being pulled further from Iran right now closer to Baghdad gov, however that's just a natural repeat of what happened in 2008 when the Mahdi army melted away from the streets of Basra and ISOF fought them in Sadr city. They accepted incorporation into the government, and the same will happen today in a different way.

Nothing radical about that, nothing radical will happen anytime soon and there's no room for that either.

That's all theoretical, on paper stuff. Idealistic situations which won't reflect reality.

Let us talk about the actual implications of disbanding the PMU, that is disarming this force and incorporating its fighters in army brigades in Iraq's current situation.

Iraqi army is fragile and vulnerable, they may have heavy weaponry and big numbers but they're influenced by Iraq's corrupt political system. US is unpredictable with what they do under The Donald. PMU is being pulled further from Iran right now closer to Baghdad gov, however that's just a natural repeat of what happened in 2008 when the Mahdi army melted away from the streets of Basra and ISOF fought them in Sadr city. They accepted incorporation into the government, and the same will happen today in a different way.

Nothing radical about that, nothing radical will happen anytime soon and there's no room for that either.

You sound like you have no confidence in yourself but that doesn't your people believe in the same way, Iraqi entrepreneurs and young educated class should be the ones to trigger change through peaceful revolution. You are trying to say PMU is looking after Iraq's well being and greater good by keeping corrupt gov't in check but I do not get that impression. They have many allies in Iraqi gov't and they themselves are corrupt to an extent.

Also those who look for greater good of Iraq don't post posters of Iranian supreme leader everywhere. Nor threaten neighboring states or launch attacks at Iran's request. Your clerics in reality do not have as much control over these militias as you think and some of the clerics aren't good people themselves. If these groups had independent agenda and were led by righteous men than I can agree with their presence and role in Iraq but until then it's hard to support your argument.

You can't just call it theories and push change away like rest of people in region do. If they lack confidence than they need someone to reinstall that confidence in them and you will see the rest follow.

You are not helping yourself, the US-Iranian-Maliki gov't agreement was still intact and Kurds sought to break understandings by trying to do vote for independence and attempted annexation of Kirkuk. US condemned them and negotiated settlement between all three parties. Kurds withdrew from the city in largely peaceful manner.

You are not helping yourself, the US-Iranian-Maliki gov't agreement was still intact and Kurds sought to break understandings by trying to do vote for independence and attempted annexation of Kirkuk. US condemned them and negotiated settlement between all three parties. Kurds withdrew from the city in largely peaceful manner.

Why did the Kurds withdrew?

Shias have shared belief system but that's it. Religion is not enough to unite people. No religious group is united. These PMU militias were gunning down Iraqi shia activists and protestors during late 2019 up to early 2020. Also money plays a role in their formation, Iraq doesn't have great economy and easy way to get good salary is join these militias or even better have higher position in them. Especially if you're lazy or your degree is not getting you anywhere.

Regardless, though, Iraq not getting anywhere as long as these militias continue interfering in political process of the country.

Even without religion, Iran still has influence over the region. Don’t forget Iraq and most Persian gulf countries were historically a part of the Iranian empires. And it’s not just about having a shared belief system. Iran is the only historical Shia country in the entire world, and is still the only country in the world that officially is a Shia country. It is natural that Shias look up to Iran. The situation is different for Sunnis, because historically, there have been many Sunni empires, and still there are many Sunni countries, so there is no reason for a Turk to look up to Egypt, or for a Tunisian to look up to Saudi Arabia, an Emirati to look up to Morocco etc. While it is natural for a Lebanese, Syrian or Iraqi Shia to look up to Iran.

Even without religion, Iran still has influence over the region. Don’t forget Iraq and most Persian gulf countries were historically a part of the Iranian empires. And it’s not just about having a shared belief system. Iran is the only historical Shia country in the entire world, and is still the only country in the world that officially is a Shia country. It is natural that Shias look up to Iran. The situation is different for Sunnis, because historically, there have been many Sunni empires, and still there are many Sunni countries, so there is no reason for a Turk to look up to Egypt, or for a Tunisian to look up to Saudi Arabia, an Emirati to look up to Morocco etc. While it is natural for a Lebanese, Syrian or Iraqi Shia to look up to Iran.

This is what you think but besides Iraq no Arabs care about Iran or Persians. You are closer to Asia region and have more connections with Indians. North Africans and Arabs never cared about Iran nor are fascinated with them.

This is what you think but besides Iraq no Arabs care about Iran or Persians. You are closer to Asia region and have more connections with Indians. North Africans and Arabs never cared about Iran nor are fascinated with them.
Yeah Iraqis are a part of your So called "we" troll.
Iraqis shit on your face, you can go see by yourself What they did to your ISIS SALAFI Brothers.

When did I say North Africans care about Iran? I said it is natural that Syrian, Lebanese and Iraqi Shia look up to Iran. Syrians, Lebanese and Iraqis are all middle eastern not North African lol.

When did I say North Africans care about Iran? I said it is natural that Syrian, Lebanese and Iraqi Shia look up to Iran. Syrians, Lebanese and Iraqis are all middle eastern not North African lol.

Shia or not, I'm telling North African, Levant, and Hejazi peoples do not have non-religious connection with Iran. You are more closer with India/Afghanistan/Turks.

Shia or not, I'm telling North African, Levant, and Hejazi peoples do not have non-religious connection with Iran. You are more closer with India/Afghanistan/Turks.

And what is your point? Did I say we have non religious connections? We have historical connections to Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait and UAE. I don’t give a shit about North Africa

And what is your point? Did I say we have non religious connections? We have historical connections to Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait and UAE. I don’t give a shit about North Africa

Yes you did mention that Iranian influence transcends religion, I will be honest with you and tell you no one in Arab world feels connection with Iran. We just don't, your place in East Asia where people share similar culture and language with you. Majority of Arabs are in North Africa/Levant and Hejaz region. Besides Iraq, no one feels connection with Iran.

Back
Top Bottom