What's new

Cash-strapped Iran struggles to maintain sway over Iraq militias

Even without religion, Iran still has influence over the region. Don’t forget Iraq and most Persian gulf countries were historically a part of the Iranian empires. And it’s not just about having a shared belief system. Iran is the only historical Shia country in the entire world, and is still the only country in the world that officially is a Shia country. It is natural that Shias look up to Iran. The situation is different for Sunnis, because historically, there have been many Sunni empires, and still there are many Sunni countries, so there is no reason for a Turk to look up to Egypt, or for a Tunisian to look up to Saudi Arabia, an Emirati to look up to Morocco etc. While it is natural for a Lebanese, Syrian or Iraqi Shia to look up to Iran.

You mistake some surface level overly welcoming behavior for looking up to, or seeing Iranians as special. Iraq is full of racism in every level and Iranians are not liked, whenever some Iraqi Shias don't like someone they label him Iranian for your information.

If you take a trip to Baghdad, they will treat you well and you're going to assume this is because you're Iranian. The truth is this is a how a foreigner experiences another country and locals often treat foreigners in such ways, especially Arabs. Tell them your actual views of Iraqis looking up to Iran then you can see their actual opinion on that.

The radical Shi'ite Iraqi does not look up to Iran or Iranian history, they'd take a shit on Zoroastrianism or any other Persian identity. They worship the Shia faith and would turn all of Iran into Qom if they could.

Yes you did mention that Iranian influence transcends religion, I will be honest with you and tell you no one in Arab world feels connection with Iran. We just don't, your place in East Asia where people share similar culture and language with you. Majority of Arabs are in North Africa/Levant and Hejaz region. Besides Iraq, no one feels connection with Iran.

I said in the region. North Africa is not in our region. I have been to Lebanon. You don’t need to tell me lies

Back
Top Bottom