What's new

Britain could get Muslim and Hindu Bank Holidays

Britain could soon get its first Muslim and Hindu Bank Holiday days after a petition to Downing Street reached 119,000 signatures.

Any petition to the Government that hits more than 100,000 signatures must be debated in Parliament under rules established in 2011.

If a new Bank Holiday weekend is created it would be the first non-Christian religious holiday in the UK.

Diwali is celebrated by Hindus in the Autumn as the ‘Festival of Lights’.

Eid is held at the end of Ramadan when Muslims break their fast.

pet.jpg

The petition, on epetitions.direct.gov.uk, was created by Jon Timmis calls for the Muslim festval Eid and Hindu festival of Diwali to become public holiday days.

Mr Timmis says doin gthis would go some way ‘to help recognise the importance of these faiths to many within the community’.

The petition is due to close on July 12th but is understood to have already been passed to the Backbench Business Committee, which considers the suitability of petitions for debate.

Vinod Popat, chairman of The British Hindu Voice, said he didn’t think it was a good idea- especially as Diwali is not given a set date and depends on a lunar calendar,.

‘I don’t think it is a very good idea. How many festivals are there for other religions. Should they all be marked with a public holiday?,’ he told the Sunday Express.
Britain currently has eight bank holidays each year – the second lowest in the world. Mexico has the lowest.

Britain could get Muslim and Hindu Bank Holidays | Metro News
Muslims should be given holidays and Hindus should be given holidays for their events but why make it public

I never quite got the concept of holiday give each religion two holiday each year and that's it. Even in US without having too many religious holiday, we actually have more holiday than kids get in India. And that is majority are non-religious holidays.

Last edited:
We all ready get holidays anyway. When its Eid we get a day off. I don't understand the point of this petition. Britain is a Christian nation not Secular like France. I would have Britain keep its Christian heritage.
and I would want it to be a secular democratic nation. Most british are not christian anyway.
But whatever happens should happen throgh democratic means.

about religious holiday for minorities, they should have option of take equivalent number of holidays in lieu of christian holidays (so that total number of holidays remain same).

Hindus pay tax and contribute to the UK so yes it should be adopted and Eid too the more the better! it will be a paid holiday for me :-)

my brit frends were surprised when I told them we got holidays for each religion in India.

I hope we can have Sikh Bank holiday too for Guru Nanaks birthday also

or baishakhi?

yeah anything the more bank holidays the better! :D paid holidays what is better than that? btw I do not work on Diwali or Lord Krishna's birthday anyway but the gora don't pay me for it :mad:

yeah anything the more bank holidays the better! :D paid holidays what is better than that? btw I do not work on Diwali or Lord Krishna's birthday anyway but the gora don't pay me for it :mad:
you gujju man..:haha:

you gujju man..:haha:

The next bank holiday is ages away :angry: and I taken all my holiday allowance for this year so I am pretty much screwed

and I would want it to be a secular democratic nation. Most british are not christian anyway.
But whatever happens should happen throgh democratic means.

about religious holiday for minorities, they should have option of take equivalent number of holidays in lieu of christian holidays (so that total number of holidays remain same).

but that means we will miss out on Christmas day and everything is shut those times during xmas

The next bank holiday is ages away :angry: and I taken all my holiday allowance for this year so I am pretty much screwed

but that means we will miss out on Christmas day and everything is shut those times during xmas
what will you miss. chrismas shopping is for a month. what else do you do during chrismas.

Back
Top Bottom