What's new

Britain could get Muslim and Hindu Bank Holidays

brother,why are you dragging religion into each and every instances??no religion preach us to discriminate anyone on their caste/religion or ethnicity...
black arabs,descendants of African Muslims are still treated like second class citizens in yemen,even after they are living there for more than 100s of years..they are living under extreme discrimination and are forced to do worse slave jobs by the majority ethnic arab authority .. ..one treatment for ethnic arabs and another for black descendants..what it says??... religion has no role in it??..

This is a discussion where people are discussing whether only Christian Holidays should be acceptable in UK. Of course it is related to religion.

Slavery is acceptable in Islam and Christianity. The slaves had generally accepted Islam but still remained slaves. So mistreament of black Muslims by Arabs comes as no surprise. Christianity also has concept of Heathens. So please do not talk nonsense about no religions preaching about discrimination.

This is a discussion where people are discussing whether only Christian Holidays should be acceptable in UK. Of course it is related to religion.

Slavery is acceptable in Islam and Christianity. The slaves had generally accepted Islam but still remained slaves. So mistreament of black Muslims by Arabs comes as no surprise. Christianity also has concept of Heathens. So please do not talk nonsense about no religions preaching about discrimination.
i was raised in a christian family..i haven't heard about Jesus or in Bible(New Testament) encouraging or supporting any slavery..may be in Old Testament that i don't know..
may some Christian and Islam nations supporting slavery...that doesn't mean that their religions told it so..
its like saying that Hinduism supporting raping/hanging girls,just because some born losers raped ana hanged two girls in U.P last week..if that is true this is true too..
today no one is following their religion in its true sense..all they want only how to grab money,power with the name of religion..

i was raised in a christian family..i haven't heard about Jesus or in Bible(New Testament) encouraging or supporting any slavery..may be in Old Testament that i don't know..
may some Christian and Islam nations supporting slavery...that doesn't mean that their religions told it so..
its like saying that Hinduism supporting raping/hanging girls,just because some born losers raped ana hanged two girls in U.P last week..if that is true this is true too..
today no one is following their religion in its true sense..all they want only how to grab money,power with the name of religion..
What Does the Bible Say About Slavery?

Leviticus 25:44-46 ESV / 280 helpful votes
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20-21 ESV / 191 helpful votes
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Ephesians 6:5 ESV / 162 helpful votes
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Galatians 5:1 ESV / 159 helpful votes
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

Exodus 21:16 ESV / 143 helpful votes
“Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

Colossians 4:1 ESV / 134 helpful votes
Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.

Galatians 3:28 ESV / 111 helpful votes
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 2:18 ESV / 56 helpful votes
Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.

Titus 2:9-10 ESV / 43 helpful votes
Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

Luke 4:18 ESV / 37 helpful votes
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed,

Exodus 21:1-36 ESV / 35 helpful votes
“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’

Deuteronomy 23:15 ESV / 32 helpful votes
“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you.

John 3:16-17 ESV / 28 helpful votes
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Exodus 21:26-27 ESV / 28 helpful votes
“When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye. If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth.

Leviticus 25:42 ESV / 27 helpful votes
For they are my servants, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt; they shall not be sold as slaves.

Colossians 3:22 ESV / 22 helpful votes
Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.

Romans 6:16 ESV / 18 helpful votes
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

John 8:34 ESV / 14 helpful votes
Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.

Deuteronomy 24:7 ESV / 14 helpful votes
“If a man is found stealing one of his brothers of the people of Israel, and if he treats him as a slave or sells him, then that thief shall die. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

Leviticus 19:20 ESV / 14 helpful votes
“If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free;

Luke 12:47 ESV / 13 helpful votes
And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.

Deuteronomy 23:15-16 ESV / 13 helpful votes
“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you. He shall dwell with you, in your midst, in the place that he shall choose within one of your towns, wherever it suits him. You shall not wrong him.

Mark 10:42-45 ESV / 9 helpful votes
And Jesus called them to him and said to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Leviticus 19:18 ESV / 9 helpful votes
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Exodus 22:3 ESV / 9 helpful votes
But if the sun has risen on him, there shall be bloodguilt for him. He shall surely pay. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

2 Kings 4:1 ESV / 8 helpful votes
Now the wife of one of the sons of the prophets cried to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the Lord, but the creditor has come to take my two children to be his slaves.”

Leviticus 25:55 ESV / 8 helpful votes
For it is to me that the people of Israel are servants. They are my servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 25:39 ESV / 8 helpful votes
“If your brother becomes poor beside you and sells himself to you, you shall not make him serve as a slave:

Exodus 21:7-11 ESV / 8 helpful votes
“When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who has designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has broken faith with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter. If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights. And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money.

Exodus 21:7 ESV / 8 helpful votes
“When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do.

Exodus 21:1-6 ESV / 8 helpful votes
“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’

Revelation 13:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,

Philemon 1:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
No longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother—especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.

1 Timothy 1:10 ESV / 7 helpful votes
The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

1 Corinthians 7:21 ESV / 7 helpful votes
Were you a slave when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.)

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV / 7 helpful votes
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Malachi 3:17 ESV / 7 helpful votes
“They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him.

Proverbs 31:8-9 ESV / 7 helpful votes
Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

1 Samuel 17:55-58 ESV / 7 helpful votes
As soon as Saul saw David go out against the Philistine, he said to Abner, the commander of the army, “Abner, whose son is this youth?” And Abner said, “As your soul lives, O king, I do not know.” And the king said, “Inquire whose son the boy is.” And as soon as David returned from the striking down of the Philistine, Abner took him, and brought him before Saul with the head of the Philistine in his hand. And Saul said to him, “Whose son are you, young man?” And David answered, “I am the son of your servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.”

James 5:1-4 ESV / 6 helpful votes
Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.

James 2:2-6 ESV / 6 helpful votes
For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court?

1 Timothy 6:9-10 ESV / 6 helpful votes
But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

1 Timothy 6:1-2 ESV / 6 helpful votes
Let all who are under a yoke as slaves regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled. Those who have believing masters must not be disrespectful on the ground that they are brothers; rather they must serve all the better since those who benefit by their good service are believers and beloved. Teach and urge these things.

Galatians 2:4 ESV / 6 helpful votes
Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery—

Acts 16:16-18 ESV / 6 helpful votes
As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. She followed Paul and us, crying out, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.” And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it came out that very hour.

Luke 4:18-19 ESV / 6 helpful votes
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”

Mark 8:36 ESV / 6 helpful votes
For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?

Daniel 4:27 ESV / 6 helpful votes
Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable to you: break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed, that there may perhaps be a lengthening of your prosperity.”

Leviticus 22:11 ESV / 6 helpful votes
But if a priest buys a slave as his property for money, the slave may eat of it, and anyone born in his house may eat of his food.

Ephesians 6:8-10 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him. Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.

Acts 7:7 ESV / 5 helpful votes
‘But I will judge the nation that they serve,’ said God, ‘and after that they shall come out and worship me in this place.’

Isaiah 14:3-8 ESV / 5 helpful votes
When the Lord has given you rest from your pain and turmoil and the hard service with which you were made to serve, you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon: “How the oppressor has ceased, the insolent fury ceased! The Lord has broken the staff of the wicked, the scepter of rulers, that struck the peoples in wrath with unceasing blows, that ruled the nations in anger with unrelenting persecution. The whole earth is at rest and quiet; they break forth into singing.

Isaiah 14:2 ESV / 5 helpful votes
And the peoples will take them and bring them to their place, and the house of Israel will possess them in the Lord's land as male and female slaves. They will take captive those who were their captors, and rule over those who oppressed them.

Proverbs 14:31 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Exodus 23:12 ESV / 5 helpful votes
“Six days you shall do your work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; that your ox and your donkey may have rest, and the son of your servant woman, and the alien, may be refreshed.

Genesis 15:14 ESV / 5 helpful votes
But I will bring judgment on the nation that they serve, and afterward they shall come out with great possessions.

Hebrews 13:5 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Romans 8:20-21 ESV / 4 helpful votes
For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Romans 8:15 ESV / 4 helpful votes
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

John 7:12 ESV / 4 helpful votes
And there was much muttering about him among the people. While some said, “He is a good man,” others said, “No, he is leading the people astray.”

Matthew 7:6 ESV / 4 helpful votes
“Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Joel 3:8 ESV / 4 helpful votes
I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, to a nation far away, for the Lord has spoken.”

Isaiah 1:1-31 ESV / 4 helpful votes
The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: “Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master's crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.” Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, children who deal corruptly! They have forsaken the Lord, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they are utterly estranged. Why will you still be struck down? Why will you continue to rebel? The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.

Numbers 31:1-54 ESV / 3 helpful votes
The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Avenge the people of Israel on the Midianites. Afterward you shall be gathered to your people.” So Moses spoke to the people, saying, “Arm men from among you for the war, that they may go against Midian to execute the Lord's vengeance on Midian. You shall send a thousand from each of the tribes of Israel to the war.” So there were provided, out of the thousands of Israel, a thousand from each tribe, twelve thousand armed for war.

Ezekiel 29:1-21 ESV / 2 helpful votes
In the tenth year, in the tenth month, on the twelfth day of the month, the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt, and prophesy against him and against all Egypt; speak, and say, Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against you, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lies in the midst of his streams, that says, ‘My Nile is my own; I made it for myself.’ I will put hooks in your jaws, and make the fish of your streams stick to your scales; and I will draw you up out of the midst of your streams, with all the fish of your streams that stick to your scales. And I will cast you out into the wilderness, you and all the fish of your streams; you shall fall on the open field, and not be brought together or gathered. To the beasts of the earth and to the birds of the heavens I give you as food.

More from New Testament

The Christian Scriptures and Slavery
Neither Jesus nor St. Paul, nor any other Biblical figure is recorded as saying anything in opposition to the institution of slavery. Slavery was very much a part of life in Judea, Galilee, and in the rest of the Roman Empire during New Testament times. The practice continued in England, Canada and the rest of the English Empire until the early 19th century; it continued in the U.S. until later in the 19th century.

Quoting Rabbi M.J. Raphall, circa 1861:

"Receiving slavery as one of the conditions of society, the New Testament nowhere interferes with or contradicts the slave code of Moses; it even preserves a letter [to Philemon] written by one of the most eminent Christian teachers [Paul] to a slave owner on sending back to him his runaway slave." 1

What were you saying about Bible not talking about slavery? Provide me with scriptures from Hindu holy books where it says girls must be hanged. Next, even if you do by some miracle find such also remember we are not people of the Book. Not one book, not hundred books, not thousand books. We generally like to live by common sense except in matter of worship.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom