What's new

Betrayed, Arabized

So, is Westernization a real cultural phenomenon? It most certainly is -- And if we begin teaching Mandarin, are we promoting Sinoization? we may well be

See friends, we evaluate, judge, cultural propositions with the criteria of good and bad and right and wrong --

Now some amongst us are very insecure when it comes to the arabization, and the reason they are very insecure is that to them Islam equals arab and discusssing arabization and casting a negative judgement, is the same as casting a negative judgement on Islam

But right wrong and good and bad are excellent criteria to judge cultural propositons - our denial, group continues to see cultural propositions in religious terms because to them Islam equals arab - and they know that not just many pakistanis but even thinking arabis would challenge this misconception.

Now, Is Westernization good? When it comes into conflict with out prudish Muslim sensibilities with regard to women, some judge Westernization as a negative influence and when ti comes to notions of liberty, again, some support the influence, others seek to restrict it as it challenges the interests of some.

And so we are always evaluating and judging, right/wrong, good/bad --

What the author of the lead article is asking is just that - arabization, good or bad, right or wrong -? On the other hand if your position is that no such a thing exist, why are you even commenting on the thread?

I dont know why every thing is enforced on us- now tell me whats the use of learning Chinese in a province which does not even share a border with china-

i hate all these forms of forced izations-

Yes, that is a really stupid thing. Enforcing it. It should be a choice, whether the student wants to or not.

Again, is it good or bad, is it right or wrong -- make a choice aqnd argue or justify your position.

If learning CHinese is wrong - why is it wrong? If it is bad , why is it bad -- If learning the Chinese language means absorbing Chinese culture, is Chinese culture a general good or bad - and if that is too general, what specifically is good or bad, what should be absorbed and what rejected, why?

You guys write posts that leave your readers bewildered, present some argument, something more than "i like it" or "I don't like it"

So, is Westernization a real cultural phenomenon? It most certainly is -- And if we begin teaching Mandarin, are we promoting Sinoization? we may well be

See friends, we evaluate, judge, cultural propositions with the criteria of good and bad and right and wrong --

Now some amongst us are very insecure when it comes to the arabization, and the reason they are very insecure is that to them Islam equals arab and discusssing arabization and casting a negative judgement, is the same as casting a negative judgement on Islam

But right wrong and good and bad are excellent criteria to judge cultural propositons - our denial, group continues to see cultural propositions in religious terms because to them Islam equals arab - and they know that not just many pakistanis but even thinking arabis would challenge this misconception.

Now, Is Westernization good? When it comes into conflict with out prudish Muslim sensibilities with regard to women, some judge Westernization as a negative influence and when ti comes to notions of liberty, again, some support the influence, others seek to restrict it as it challenges the interests of some.

And so we are always evaluating and judging, right/wrong, good/bad --

What the author of the lead article is asking is just that - arabization, good or bad, right or wrong -? On the other hand if your position is that no such a thing exist, why are you even commenting on the thread?

Fair point muse, fair point. But a healthy discussion is the end point after all!

Again, is it good or bad, is it right or wrong -- make a choice aqnd argue or justify your position.

If learning CHinese is wrong - why is it wrong? If it is bad , why is it bad -- If learning the Chinese language means absorbing Chinese culture, is Chinese culture a general good or bad - and if that is too general, what specifically is good or bad, what should be absorbed and what rejected, why?

You guys write posts that leave your readers bewildered, present some argument, something more than "i like it" or "I don't like it"

Well, it is bad because you cannot enforce upon a person to study something, the person will not be able to fully accept it and hence, will not learn it even if he spends 5 years on it.

But, it is a good step IF it is left on choice. China is on road to be a global player and Chinese influence will be more and more. So, it is in the interest of a person to be learning something which is going to be in use in the short future.

BUT, it should be an option, and personally, i think this step is only taken to display pak-cheen dosty, and not any real motive behind it. Had there been a motive, we would have been teaching French before this, because French is a second language in means of trade and commerce. After English, french has the most influence. French is taught in Cambridge system, but it should also be introduced as an option, a choice between some languages, and if you dont want a language, then you can choose some other subject.

Anyways, this is going off topic, the language thing.

That is not an 'Arab cultural and religious issue', that is an issue regarding support by a foreign entity, the Saudi government, for groups that are promoting intolerance and violence.

Who said it is an 'Arab cultural and religious issue'?

You seem to be assuming a number of things from my posts which are merely an extension of the said Saudi influence.

Murder and bigotry were not institutionalized until the Arabization kicked in.

The point is that before the 80's, such crimes were dealt with where as after the Arabization started, the plight of minority sects and religions become unworthy of notice.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

I am sorry, but T-Faz and Muse's definitions don't really make a distinction between denigrating Arab culture and Arab religious beliefs, and whatever 'Arabization' is.

Mine seems spot on and is in no way "denigrating Arab culture and Arab religious beliefs".

Let me define Arabization from my perspective, it is the growing influence of Arab culture and customs on Non-Arab Muslim countries. Arab societal behavior and norms have been wrongly intertwined with Islamic behavior and norms. The two being completely different as Arabic culture and custom is suitable for Arabs while Muslim culture and custom is suitable for all Muslims.

it is bad because you cannot enforce upon a person to study something, the person will not be able to fully accept it and hence, will not learn it even if he spends 5 years on it.

When we teach "children" we are "spoon feeding" them - and they learn, children will learn anything. Pakistan seeks to build a relationship with CHina, a relationship which will be unlike any other relationship Pakistan has, this will require young Pakistanis to be familiar with Chinese language to access Chinese universities and businesses.

Pakistanis learning French and such ?? Perhaps it is not clear to you that Pakistan government seems to be making a strategic shift and is making the preparation to best advantage pakistani youth, to benefit from that shift.

Is that good/bad, right /wrong?

When we teach "children" we are "spoon feeding" them - and they learn, children will learn anything. Pakistan seeks to build a relationship with CHina, a relationship which will be unlike any other relationship Pakistan has, this will require young Pakistanis to be familiar with Chinese language to access Chinese universities and businesses.

Pakistanis learning French and such ?? Perhaps it is not clear to you that Pakistan government seems to be making a strategic shift and is making the preparation to best advantage pakistani youth, to benefit from that shift.

Is that good/bad, right /wrong?

It's wrong in a good way. Rather right in a bad way.

Just curious Muse, how do you see it?

It's wrong in a good way. Rather right in a bad way.

Just curious Muse, how do you see it?

I think we do no have enough information to evaluate it - if it is just language training and preparation for university and or technical training, sure, I think that would be great.

Is there a deeper plan? I don't know - Though I will agree that since the state always seems to be less then successful in it's Identity quest, that it should just get out of that business all together.

And if the state can be successful teaching Urdu and other provincial languages, that would be a big plus -- making the kind of strategic shift, I among others would support, is not easy and should focus on college level individuals until a large enough core group is built up -- recall we spoke of social change, as reflective of a re-prioritization of values in the presence of incentives - that has certainly been the case with Westernization, and arabization

^actually my comment wasnt pointless.
we had a 60 page discussion on the matter....most of which was repetition of what was already said in the thread....
over and over again the OP cones round and either asks the same question which he has alreasy discussed in detail on a previous page...or just repeats himself..enticing others to repeat themselves..
if this thread is about converting muslims into non muslims or forcing people into giving up reading Quran in arabic or pray in arabic..that is as much obnoxious and taboo as me opening thread to convert hindu pdf members to islam...
If the thread is about fiscussion we already had discussed every aspect of it.
why the op wants us to kneel down bow our heads and shout "lord muse you are right..we are wrong" well he seems adamant to force us into summission.

if sticking to our guns is the "point" of this threas and OP's persistance..then fair enough..we can continue for another 50,60 or hundred pages.

The point is not who or what created K-N, but that religious bigotry and anti-Ahmadi sentiment was used in South Asia long before the Saudis did anything, and therefore cannot be solely blamed on the Saudis.

I am not blaming it all on the Saudi's, am I?

Perhaps you need to reread my post because I explicitly state that Arabization during the 70's and 80's aided the religious bigotry and hatred that was low level at best. Once the process of Arabization started, it allowed anti-Shia and Anti-Ahmadi groups to function with state impunity.

And why did Pakistanis not oppose this 'anti-Ahmadi' movement then, if the only reason it became law was Saudi pressure on Bhutto? Where were the mass demonstrations and outrage against the vilification of an entire community in Pakistan?

Well prominent Pakistani's and civil societies did so, as for mass demonstrations, no one in Pakistan comes out to demonstrate anything en-mass.

Anti-Ahmadi sentiment in South Asian nations existed long before Bhutto did anything

in certain sections, it become prominent once the Anti-Ahmadi groups gained Saudi backing and were able to exert their pressure on the government.

Same thing happened against the Shias.

That is a rhetorical argument, not a factual one - a factual argument would involve evidence indicating direct Saudi pressure in enacting Blasphemy and anti-Ahmadi laws.

Where is your factual argument, all that you do is twist and turn things to negate a view.

I have given you proof of the Saudi involvement but you seem to be overlooking it like it does not have a bearing on Islamic laws that were implemented.

A factual argument would indicate Saudi involvement in promoting honor killings, rape by Jirga, marriages with the Quran, murders of female relatives over property etc.

But we agreed that those were cultural problems and I have stated the problems relating to religion that were promoted by Saudi's in Pakistan.

What about the Saudi role in sectarianism?

Ziaul Haq’s Islamization empowered the Sunni clergy and antagonized the country’s Shi’a minority. When the Shi’a demanded protection of their religious rights, Ziaul Haq and his intelligence services saw their protests as a sign of potential Iranian subversion.

The Iranians were, most likely, assisting Pakistan’s Shi’a with money, and Ziaul Haq invited the Saudis to help Sunni sectarian groups. The Afghan jihad had already resulted in the free flow of arms and military training for Sunni Islamists. Soon, some of these Sunni militants were attacking the Shi’a in an effort to purify Pakistan of their “heterodoxy.” Shi’a militias emerged to fight the Sunni extremists with similar tactics. During the last twenty five years, nearly two thousand people have been killed, and thousands more maimed, in attacks by zealots of the rival sects in Pakistan. Official Figures are not available for the period 1980-1989 but deaths by sectarian violence during that phase are estimated at several hundred . Between 1989 and 2004, 688 people were killed in 1,837 reported incidents of sectarian conflict. In 2005 sixty-two incidents resulted in 160 deaths, and in the first three months of 2006, six incidents occurred in which 136 people reportedly died. [2]

"Weeding Out the Heretics": Sectarianism in Pakistan » Current Trends in Islamist Ideology

Pakistan's problems have been exacerbated by a lack of governance, a lack of security, corrupt law enforcement and lack of justice for the common man, and not by the Saudis. Even with the existing Blasphemy and anti-Ahmadi laws in place, an independent law enforcement and judicial system would not allow the promotion and perpetration of violence in the name of religion that occurs in Pakistan today.

When did I blame it all on the Saudi's?

Guess you have turned to your own "strawman" arguments in order to deflect from the content of my post.

The Jamaat Ahl-e Hadith (party of the Tradition of the Prophet) was founded by Sayyid Nazir Husain Muhaddith Dehlavi. The Ahl-e Hadith differ from the Deobandis in holding that the Quran and the Hadith (recorded traditions of Prophet Mohammed) are the sole sources of law, while the Deobandis accept the vast corpus of Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh) and follow the Hanafi school of fiqh. Often called Wahhabis in South Asia, the Ahl-e Hadith have maintained close ties with the Wahhabi religious establishment of Saudi Arabia since the 1960s. They are vehemently opposed to Barelvi custom-based Sunni Islam; they are both anti-Sufi and anti-Shi’a.

"Weeding Out the Heretics": Sectarianism in Pakistan » Current Trends in Islamist Ideology

What about the terrorism that flourishes in Pakistan because of Saudi Arabia?

In order to have terrorists, in order to have supporters for terrorists, in order to have people who are willing to interpret religion in violent ways, […] you need particular interpretations of Islam [that] are being propagated out of schools that receive organizational and financial funding from Saudi Arabia. In fact, I would push it further: that these schools would not have existed without Saudi funding. They would not have proliferated across Pakistan […] without Saudi funding. They would not have had the kind of prowess that they have without Saudi funding, and they would not have trained as many people without Saudi funding. [49]

The Pakistani Madrassah and Terrorism: Made and Unmade Conclusions from the Literature | Puri | Perspectives on Terrorism

As Pakistan commentators often argue, the problems in Pakistan are not the existing laws, flawed laws or lack of laws, the problems in Pakistan are the lack of IMPLEMENTATION of the existing laws.

You mean to tell me that laws like Blashpemy laws and Hudood laws which were infact changed by Gen Mushy were not flawed.

Why talk of changing them when they are not flawed?

Again, the problem is that Pakistan's existing laws are not being implemented and governance has gone to the dogs, and not the presence of a token Saudi Scholar here and there.

This "token" Saudi created all the mess that we have suffered so much from.

What it would take to prove Zafarullah wrong is irrelevant, I am just pointing out, in the context of our discussion, that the Saudis did not influence Pakistan's leadership at the time, and therefore that particular incident cannot be used as justification for the argument that the 'Arabs are imposing Arab values on Pakistan'.

They could not influence the world through logic, they went on to try force instead.

And how can you be certain that the Arabs forced Dualibi on Zia, instead of Zia inviting Dualibi and having him assist in the framing of his so called 'Islamic Laws'?

It is because the Saudi said that they will only support the Afghan Jihad if Pakistan was willing to implement the laws.

I have a good source for this which I will post soon.

But Madudi was not brainwashed by the Saudis was he? He chose to pursue a particular ideology, and promote it, of his own volition, as did his followers. If he was successful in pressuring the government to follow his ideological agenda, then again that speaks to the weakness of the Pakistani leadership, or perhaps the ideological inclinations of the Pakistani leadership.

The Saudis used their money to promote their 'religious beliefs', much like the Yanks are doing in terms of trying to project their world view in Pakistan, the fault lies with Pakistanis in not presenting an equally forceful narrative and building a vocal lobby to influence Pakistani leadership.

Pakistans leadership only faltered once the outwardly pressure grew intense, lack of unity and fear of drastic change made Pakistani leaders seek dangerous alliances that harmed Pakistan.

Its a simple matter of short sightedness and not ideological inclinations of the Pakistani leadership.

Pakistanis are responsible for standing up to the Pakistani leadership when they take decisions that are supposedly 'alien to our demographic and culture', Pakistanis are responsible for thinking for themselves and vocalizing their opinions and pressuring their elected leadership to move the country in the direction Pakistanis want.

This is the reason why:

Javid Iqbal clearly said that moderate and liberal elements were silent because they feared harm at the hands of extremist forces. He equally despaired of politicians.

Was Jinnah secular? – The Express Tribune

Creating bogeyman in the 'Arabis and Agencies' is no way to be 'responsible', and will change nothing.

I agree, creating bogeyman in "RAW, CIA, MOSSAD, Kenya's NSIS etc" wont change anything either.

The what are 'Honor Killings, rape by Jirga, marriages with the Quran'?

Those are cultural problems.

'Pakization'? Is that something to be proud of in contrast to 'Arabization'? How about being responsible for our state of affairs and pressuring our leadership to reform the country and actually implement the existing laws?

Yes, Pakistan should free itself from Yahood o'Hanood aka Amreeka and Saudi.

But then the problem is the leaders we either 'elect', or support when they 'carry out coups'.

Not me who voted them in.

Why blame the Arabs for our own corrupt political class that we keep voting back into power, both through voting for them and apathy towards the electoral process?

Who is blaming the Arabs for all our ills, all I am doing here is pointing to the damage caused to us by the Arabs.

The seeds of Arabisation of Pakistan germinated in Zulfikar Ali Bhutto’s time and bore plentiful fruit under General Ziaul Haq’s regime. None of our leaders, be they civilian or military, thought much about the consequences of getting too close to the Arab overlords. The poison that the Saudiisation of Pakistan produced has now spread countrywide. King Abdullah’s words during Prime Minister Gilani’s visit are of significance. The monarch said, “Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are one country; they are more than friends and more than brothers.” Instead of sending shockwaves down our leadership’s spine, Prime Minister Gilani welcomed his statement and went a step further by saying, “Pakistan’s security was Saudi Arabia’s security and Saudi Arabia’s security was Pakistan’s security.”

If this is how our leaders are going to behave — bowing to every whim of the monarchs of Saudi Arabia — they might as well move all Pakistanis to the Rab’ al Khali (the empty quarter, the massive desert in the heart of Saudi Arabia where nothing grows or lives) and invite the Arab sheikhs to reside in Pakistan instead. Arab influence has already turned Pakistan into a blood-soaked battlefield. The fault lies with Pakistan’s leaders who have never questioned the Arab sheikhs for their dubious and nefarious activities in the region and in Pakistan. Pakistani society has become intolerant over the years because of various reasons, but most importantly because of Saudi Arabia’s powerful influence in our internal matters. The growth of Wahabiism and extremism in Pakistan is mostly because of funding by Arab sheikhs. Is it not time to bid adieu to such negative influences instead of asking them for ‘renewal’ of ties? *

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

True that the Saudis have often bailed us out and we are dependent on their largesse. But this is not a benign relationship. Pakistan has witnessed the rise of Wahabi-Salafi ideology in the public space. Pakistan’s Islamic pluralism has been under attack for the last three decades. The rise of sectarianism and the mushrooming of militant groups have made us a society bruised by intolerance and violence. Sadly, the state has been giving space to ideologues demanding the imposition of one-version of the Shariah, often at its own expense.

Our

There are a lot of facts and figures which point to this Arabization but how can you blame the custodians of the Holy cities.

Mine seems spot on and is in no way "denigrating Arab culture and Arab religious beliefs".

Please look at your definition here:

it is the growing influence of Arab culture and customs on Non-Arab Muslim countries. Arab societal behavior and norms have been wrongly intertwined with Islamic behavior and norms. The two being completely different as Arabic culture and custom is suitable for Arabs while Muslim culture and custom is suitable for all Muslims.

You don't talk of 'some' Arab culture and customs, but 'Arab culture and customs', implying that you are referring to all 'Arab culture and customs', and you call the influence of 'Arab and culture and customs' Arabization.

Now in your comment below, as in the comments of others, note how you refer to 'Arabization', which you define as the influence of 'Arab culture and customs'.

So your argument becomes: 'Arab culture and customs have caused the institutionalization of Murder and bigotry in the societies they have influenced'.

How is your argument not then a 'denigration of Arab culture and Arab religious beliefs', given that Arab culture is influenced by religion, and vice versa?

Please look at your definition here:

it is the growing influence of Arab culture and customs on Non-Arab Muslim countries. Arab societal behavior and norms have been wrongly intertwined with Islamic behavior and norms. The two being completely different as Arabic culture and custom is suitable for Arabs while Muslim culture and custom is suitable for all Muslims.

You don't talk of 'some' Arab culture and customs, but 'Arab culture and customs', implying that you are referring to all 'Arab culture and customs', and you call the influence of 'Arab and culture and customs' Arabization.

Now in your comment below, as in the comments of others, note how you refer to 'Arabization', which you define as the influence of 'Arab culture and customs'.

So your argument becomes: 'Arab culture and customs have caused the institutionalization of Murder and bigotry in the societies they have influenced'.

How is your argument not then a 'denigration of Arab culture and Arab religious beliefs', given that Arab culture is influenced by religion, and vice versa?

I guess you failed to look at this part of my post where I defined Arabization:

That made me realize that all we borrowed from the Arabs were their negative habits, we didn't borrow anything positive from them, if anything like this exists of course.

I guess you are missing the entire point of the thread itself by associating the negative influence of a specific culture on a foreign country to it being hereditary evil, entirely.

Arabization as an influence on Pakistan has only resulted in violence, crime and bigotry in this nation. This is a fact that no one can deny and this has been alluded to by many a writers, local and foreign.

I defined Arabization as is without equating anything negative to it, I do not see my definition as "denigrating Arab culture and Arab religious beliefs".

I then went onto explain the effects of Arabization on this country which have been negative and this has been confirmed.

So how is being factual being denigrating?

So how is being factual being denigrating?

This happens when one runs out of intelligent counter-arguments. A feigned outrage is then used to avoid giving a coherent answer.

Back
Top Bottom