What's new

BD should attach importance to Asian Highway development

Sher Shah was Bangali? You give me boundless hope for the educated and learned younger generations of Bangladeshis. What a pleasant surprise. All these days, I thought something different - never mind what, I don't want everyone laughing at my silly mistake. Bless you, and may you be that future Sher Shah's right circular object.

It seems you are teasing when you answered to the post of Asad71 yourself not knowing the history of Sher Shah and also about the forebearers of Muslims of Bengal. Like many others, Sher Shah's grandfather was a Pathan who came to Bihar/Bengal region and settled himself in a Jagir.

I am not going to write pages of details here, but, Sher Shah ascended the throne of GAUR (read Bengal that also included Bihar) in around 1538 before he (again) defeated Mughal Badshah Humayun in the Battle of Chausa (not very sure if it was Chausa or Bilgram) and occupied the throne of Delhi in 1539. Humayun fled to Iran and on his way Akber was born in Amarkot.

Do you have anything to say about the short description I have given here? If you have any, please re-read the history before you again tease others.

It seems you are teasing when you answered to the post of Asad71 yourself not knowing the history of Sher Shah and also about the forebearers of Muslims of Bengal. Like many others, Sher Shah's grandfather was a Pathan who came to Bihar/Bengal region and settled himself in a Jagir.

I am not going to write pages of details here, but, Sher Shah ascended the throne of GAUR (read Bengal that also included Bihar) in around 1538 before he (again) defeated Mughal Badshah Humayun in the Battle of Chausa (not very sure if it was Chausa or Bilgram) and occupied the throne of Delhi in 1539. Humayun fled to Iran and on his way Akber was born in Amarkot.

Do you have anything to say about the short description I have given here? If you have any, please re-read the history before you again tease others.

My undergraduate programme was History, of which three papers were in Ancient, Mediaeval and Modern Indian History, with special emphasis on the History of Bengal. So when I read that Sher Shah will raise his flag in Delhi, I naturally feel excited; a new chapter in history is opening up.

Sher Shah and his forebears were Pathans. His grandfather, Ibrahim Khan, came down to the plains of Hindustan to enter service with Bahlul Lodi, and was given jagirs in the Punjab. His father, Hasan Khan, was with his grandfather at the time. Farid Khan, as Sher Shah was known from birth, ran away because he did not get along with his father, and entered service with the governor of Jaunpur. His active career started later, with the Mughal Governor of Bihar, and he was the regent for the young Sultan of Bihar, Jalal Khan. He took complete control of Bihar after defeating Ghiasuddin Mahmud Shah of Bengal in 1534, and then followed up by attacking Ghiasuddin at home, in Bengal, in 1538. However, he could not take control of Bengal because of the attack by Humayun on the eastern provinces, although he was in the state at the time of the attack. In 1539, he fought the battle of Chausa, defeated Humayun, drove him out of India, and ascended the throne of Delhi. And so on.

He was in Bengal for a few months, briefly, when campaigning against Ghiasuddin. That is all. His father and grandfather NEVER came to the east.

You will understand my disdain for the shallow learning that positions Sher Shah as a Bengali ruler, when he was not able to take over the reins from Ghiasuddin Mahmud Shah due to the simultaneous attack of Humayun. He had nothing, at best very little, an incidental parenthetical possibility of rule at best, before he shifted his attention to Delhi.

There is as much justification in considering General A. A. Khan Niazi, or Tikka Khan, as Bengali generals - they spent as much time as Sher Shah - as there is of considering Sher Shah a Bengali general and ruler.

However, please feel free to instruct me further in the history of my own land, my own country, whenever the urge strikes you. Just don't expect silly little brags and an exaggerated sense of importance to be given much time or attention. They will be treated as they deserve.

There is tremendous potential for Myanmar-Bangladesh trade. And I can assure you that it'd be a profitable relationship. But connecting with India would certainly need more clarifications. The Indians have been wanting the link access to the NE parts for a very, very long time.

My undergraduate programme was History, of which three papers were in Ancient, Mediaeval and Modern Indian History, with special emphasis on the History of Bengal. So when I read that Sher Shah will raise his flag in Delhi, I naturally feel excited; a new chapter in history is opening up.

Sher Shah and his forebears were Pathans. His grandfather, Ibrahim Khan, came down to the plains of Hindustan to enter service with Bahlul Lodi, and was given jagirs in the Punjab. His father, Hasan Khan, was with his grandfather at the time. Farid Khan, as Sher Shah was known from birth, ran away because he did not get along with his father, and entered service with the governor of Jaunpur. His active career started later, with the Mughal Governor of Bihar, and he was the regent for the young Sultan of Bihar, Jalal Khan. He took complete control of Bihar after defeating Ghiasuddin Mahmud Shah of Bengal in 1534, and then followed up by attacking Ghiasuddin at home, in Bengal, in 1538. However, he could not take control of Bengal because of the attack by Humayun on the eastern provinces, although he was in the state at the time of the attack. In 1539, he fought the battle of Chausa, defeated Humayun, drove him out of India, and ascended the throne of Delhi. And so on.

He was in Bengal for a few months, briefly, when campaigning against Ghiasuddin. That is all. His father and grandfather NEVER came to the east.

You will understand my disdain for the shallow learning that positions Sher Shah as a Bengali ruler, when he was not able to take over the reins from Ghiasuddin Mahmud Shah due to the simultaneous attack of Humayun. He had nothing, at best very little, an incidental parenthetical possibility of rule at best, before he shifted his attention to Delhi.

There is as much justification in considering General A. A. Khan Niazi, or Tikka Khan, as Bengali generals - they spent as much time as Sher Shah - as there is of considering Sher Shah a Bengali general and ruler.

However, please feel free to instruct me further in the history of my own land, my own country, whenever the urge strikes you. Just don't expect silly little brags and an exaggerated sense of importance to be given much time or attention. They will be treated as they deserve.

Figures.

A history major going around lecturing folks about business/trade. They say history majors are challanged in certain parts of the faculty !

Do I disdain a history major navigating in business world with superficial knowledge, certainly not !

It does take all kind of folks to make the world go around !!!

Sher Shah was Bangali? You give me boundless hope for the educated and learned younger generations of Bangladeshis. What a pleasant surprise. All these days, I thought something different - never mind what, I don't want everyone laughing at my silly mistake. Bless you, and may you be that future Sher Shah's right circular object.

@ asad71 did not say that he was Bengalee ?????? Here he was just comparing the future with Sher Shah like he defeated the Great Mughal Humayun.

Figures.

A history major going around lecturing folks about business/trade. They say history majors are challanged in certain parts of the faculty !

Do I disdain a history major navigating in business world with superficial knowledge, certainly not !

Yes, it does, does it not?

I did not mention it there as it was not relevant, but mention it now, since you have raised the subject: my post graduate programme was in management. I am a graduate of the IIM Calcutta. That was the foundation for forty years of experience in management, the last fifteen as CEO.

Yes, it does, does it not?

I did not mention it there as it was not relevant, but mention it now, since you have raised the subject: my post graduate programme was in management. I am a graduate of the IIM Calcutta. That was the foundation for forty years of experience in management, the last fifteen as CEO.

Thanks for disclosing your background. We are honored to have a distinguished and knowledgeable member of Indian society like yourself among ourselves.

Bangladesh will definitely integrate more with India with trade and economics, but unfortunately politically Indian interference in Bangladesh affairs has been a net negative for us. Hence our look East policy, where we not only want to integrate with ASEAN+ economically, but also would like to make it a viable and powerful union like EU. Integrating with ASEAN+ will also allow us to connect to Kunming, the gateway to China. And with China, our interest is the same with India, to connect with trade and economics, as a political union is not desired by any sides.

More details on my opinion about large countries and their future role in geopolitics is in this thread:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/164048-kalu_miahs-new-world-order-road-map-future.html

Thanks for disclosing your background. We are honored to have a distinguished and knowledgeable member of Indian society like yourself among ourselves.

Bangladesh will definitely integrate more with India with trade and economics, but unfortunately politically Indian interference in Bangladesh affairs has been a net negative for us. Hence our look East policy, where we not only want to integrate with ASEAN+ economically, but also would like to make it a viable and powerful union like EU. Integrating with ASEAN+ will also allow us to connect to Kunming, the gateway to China. And with China, our interest is the same with India, to connect with trade and economics, as a political union is not desired by any sides.

More details on my opinion about large countries and their future role in geopolitics is in this thread:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/164048-kalu_miahs-new-world-order-road-map-future.html

Certainly your suggestions to look to ASEAN make sense for your country, and if you can pursue it systematically, it will take Bangladesh very far forward.

I am already familiar with your views on the new world order. While it is a daring concept, it remains to be seen how events shape up in the real world. At any rate, if your plan, or something like it, is accepted by Bangladesh, you will be moving forward with an impressive blueprint of action. A clear plan of action is always an advantage.

Bangladesh should join to the East-West Economic Corridor

great-mekong-subregion-east-west-economic-corridor.gif

East

Thanks for your post, Battle of Bach Dank River. This road is very important for us to connect with Greater Mekong region:
East
East–West Economic Corridor
Tunnel through Hai Van mountain range in Vietnam opens the way to sea ports South China Sea
East-West Economic is an economic development program initiated in 1998 by the Ministerial Conference of Greater Mekong Subregion organized in Manila, the Philippines in order to promote development and integration of four countries, namely: Laos, Burma, Thailand and Vietnam. This corridor became operational on December 12, 2006.

The economic corridor is created based on a road of 1,450 km with the west end at port city of Mawlamyine (Myanmar), crossing Kayin Division, Thai provinces of Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Khon Kaen, Kalasin and Mukdahan and Laotian provinces of Savannakhet, Vietnamese provinces of Quang Tri, Thua Thien-Hue Province and Đà Nẵng city as the east end.

Hopefully this road will be extended from Myanmar to Chittagong, Bangladesh.

Myanmar: Opening the Door to Democracy « Investment Adventures in Emerging Markets
With these risks in mind, I believe Myanmar has a lot of potential. It is rich in natural resources, including timber, tin, copper, lead, coal, natural gas and hydropower.3 Its geographic location in Southeastern Asia, between Bangladesh and Thailand, is ripe for cross-trade among those countries. Its real GDP growth is expected to increase, with predictions by the IMF of 5.5% in 2011-2012 and 6% in 2012-2013.4 Supported by credit growth and improved business confidence, I believe this growth should be driven by commodity exports and greater investment.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=230021
Former Chinese ambassador Zhang Xianyi in his parting remarks had said in Dhaka that China was ready to participate in deep seaport project with its "advanced technology, equipments and ample funds." Beijing was keen to set up connectivity among China, Bangladesh and Myanmar through road and railway links. Construction of 7th and 8th China-Bangla Friendship Bridges is set to get underway.

We are not tallking here about Niazi or Tikka Khan. We are discussing about Sher Shah. So, do not change the context to suit your weird view. Here, we are talking of people like Sultan Bahlul Lodi whose forefathers were Pathans, but he became the Emperor of India in 1456 (?). Cannot he be called a Hindustani only because he was of Pathan ancestory?

All the Rajputs, by your narrow standards should be called HUN, and not Hindustanis. Mughals were Uzbek and not Hidustani. This thinking is weird and is of no use in practical discussion of history. Chieftain Khwaja Osman of Bengal was ONLY a Pathan, but was not a Bangali Muslim when he fought against the Mughals in the eastern Bengal.

By your formula no muslim man from outside of Hindustan who settled himself here cannot be a HINDUSTANI muslim. Yet, all of the settler Muslims have during the course of time become Hindustani. Some are now regarded as Delhiwala, some are Bangali and some are UP wala.

There are many ingredients of foreign bloods in Bangali muslims of today. Sher Shah's grandfather lived in Punjab, but he is not called a Punjabi. He lost that identity when he moves to another part of India by the course of time. But, by your standard, everybody is static. He cannot be another except what his grandfather was. By your standard, President Obama is a Kenyan and President Bush is an Englishman, not withstanding that they have become the Presidents of the USA.

Sher Shah's forebearers were like many of the millions of Muslims who came to Hindustan for seeking fortune. He came to Bihar. But, he took over the reign of Bengal from Ghiyasuddin Mahmud Shah. Mahmud Shah's young son was killed by Jalal Khan, the son of Sher Shah. This caused Mahmud Shah to collapse and die. Sher Shah took over the Sultanate of Bengal.

This made Humayun nerveous and he rushed to Gaud. Sher Shah vacated Gaud and took the northern route to Bihar. Humayun stayed in Bengal for about six months and spent this period to establish a Mughal administration in Gaud (Bengal). Before the onset of next flood season, Humayun ventured out of Gaud to go back to Delhi/Agra.

it was probably the Ghagra (?) river where the local troops of Sher Shah stopped Humayun's troops to cross. Humayun was forced to recognize Sher Shah as the Sultan of Bengal. But, in an ensuing battle, Humayun's troops were defeated. His troops jumped to the river to save their lives. Humayun was rescued from the flowing river by a visti (water man) Nizam.

Humayun fled to Delhi and after about one year he came back with full force. After his defeat at Chausa Humayun fled to Iran, and Sher Shah, the Sultan of Bengal captured Delhi. His descendents ruled over Hindustan until Adil Shah was defeated by Humayun at the 2nd Battle of Panipath in 1556.

All the Pathans and Bangali muslims in the northern India fled to Bengal. These people regrouped, kept Bengal free of Mughal domination until about 1605 when Jahangir was the Emperor. Note that almost all the Muslim warrior Chieftains (combinedly known as Baro Bhumiya) of then Bengal were of Pathan ancestory. So, the Mughal-Pathan war that started in 1526 in the 1st battle of Panipath ended with the defeat of Khwaja Osman Khan in Mymensingh/Sylhet in 1605.

Refer to an article written by Dr. Bhattasali titled, 'The Last Pathan Hero of Bengal' and learn more about this last battle. Read also 'Baharistani Ghaebi' by Mirza Ispahani, a Mughal General. But, by your thinking they were just Pthans even after they had been living in Hindustan/Bengal for six or more generations.

You cannot identfy any Indian muslim only by his ancestory. Foreign Muslims had already become part of India and Bengal at the time of history that we are discussing here. Who domiciled in Bengal have become known as Bangali Muslims. You must, perhaps, be aware that all the Sultans, except Raja Ganesh, of Bengal during Muslim period were of foreign ancestory.

Even the loved Sirajuddowlah was of Iranian/Delhiwala ancestory. Same was with Sher Shah. He was a Pathan by ancestory, but he was the Sultan of Bengal before he became the Emperor of Hindustan. Note also that during those days Muslims were not regarded as Bangali. They were just Muslims or Jabans. Only recently we impose this Bangali suffix to the Muslims of Bengal.

So, how do you define their positions vis-a-vis Bengal. Reality is they were Bengali Muslims because their forefathers had domiciled in Bengal. It is same with all the American Presidents and most of the American people. It is also same with all the Muslim emperors and many of the Muslim population of Hindustan/Delhi.

Figures.

ever heard of niall ferguson.. your just a nut case.

My family name is Shordar, which is as pathan as they come. By joe's logic i am a pathan. But it doesn't get more Bangladeshi than me:smitten:.

This is the most stupid idea ever. Please, when you say no countries to die for , just ensure that theere is no religion too.
frankly, BD is a poor state with not much and so feels magnanimous to share the worlds resources. first tell what do you have to offer before staking claim on the worlds resources

My family name is Shordar, which is as pathan as they come. By joe's logic i am a pathan. But it doesn't get more Bangladeshi than me:smitten:.
my name is as punjabi as they come but i am a tamilbrahm and have never been to the punjab

We are not tallking here about Niazi or Tikka Khan. We are discussing about Sher Shah. So, do not change the context to suit your weird view.

By your formula no muslim man from outside of Hindustan who settled himself here cannot be a HINDUSTANI muslim. Yet, all of the settler Muslims have during the course of time become Hindustani. Some are now regarded as Delhiwala, some are Bangali and some are UP wala.

There are many ingredients of foreign bloods in Bangali muslims of today. Sher Shah's grandfather lived in Punjab, but he is not called a Punjabi. He lost that identity when he moves to another part of India by the course of time. But, by your standard, everybody is static. He cannot be another except what his grandfather was. By your standard, President Obama is a Kenyan and President Bush is an Englishman, not withstanding that they have become the Presidents of the USA.

Sher Shah's forebearers were like many of the millions of Muslims who came to Hindustan for seeking fortune. He came to Bihar. But, he took over the reign of Bengal from Ghiyasuddin Mahmud Shah. Mahmud Shah's young son was killed by Jalal Khan, the son of Sher Shah. This caused Mahmud Shah to collapse and die. Sher Shah took over the Sultanate of Bengal.

This made Humayun nerveous and he rushed to Gaud. Sher Shah vacated Gaud and took the northern route to Bihar. Humayun stayed in Bengal for about six months and spent this period to establish a Mughal administration in Gaud (Bengal). Before the onset of next flood season, Humayun ventured out of Gaud to go back to Delhi/Agra.

it was probably the Ghagra (?) river where the local troops of Sher Shah stopped Humayun's troops to cross. Humayun was forced to recognize Sher Shah as the Sultan of Bengal. But, in an ensuing battle, Humayun's troops were defeated. His troops jumped to the river to save their lives. Humayun was rescued from the flowing river by a visti (water man) Nizam.

Humayun fled to Delhi and after about one year he came back with full force. After his defeat at Chausa Humayun fled to Iran, and Sher Shah, the Sultan of Bengal captured Delhi. His descendents ruled over Hindustan until Adil Shah was defeated by Humayun at the 2nd Battle of Panipath in 1556.

All the Pathans and Bangali muslims in the northern India fled to Bengal. These people regrouped, kept Bengal free of Mughal domination until about 1605 when Jahangir was the Emperor. Note that almost all the Muslim warrior Chieftains (combinedly known as Baro Bhumiya) of then Bengal were of Pathan ancestory. So, the Mughal-Pathan war that started in 1526 in the 1st battle of Panipath ended with the defeat of Khwaja Osman Khan in Mymensingh/Sylhet in 1605.

Refer to an article written by Dr. Bhattasali titled, 'The Last Pathan Hero of Bengal' and learn more about this last battle. Read also 'Baharistani Ghaebi' by Mirza Ispahani, a Mughal General. But, by your thinking they were just Pthans even after they had been living in Hindustan/Bengal for six or more generations.

You cannot identfy any Indian muslim only by his ancestory. Foreign Muslims had already become part of India and Bengal at the time of history that we are discussing here. Who domiciled in Bengal have become known as Bangali Muslims. You must, perhaps, be aware that all the Sultans, except Raja Ganesh, of Bengal during Muslim period were of foreign ancestory.

Even the loved Sirajuddowlah was of Iranian/Delhiwala ancestory. Same was with Sher Shah. He was a Pathan by ancestory, but he was the Sultan of Bengal before he became the Emperor of Hindustan. Note also that during those days Muslims were not regarded as Bangali. They were just Muslims or Jabans. Only recently we impose this Bangali suffix to the Muslims of Bengal.

So, how do you define their positions vis-a-vis Bengal. Reality is they were Bengali Muslims because their forefathers had domiciled in Bengal. It is same with all the American Presidents and most of the American people. It is also same with all the Muslim emperors and many of the Muslim population of Hindustan/Delhi.
thanks for the lengthy but useless reply. i gather from JS' post that Sher shah ruled bengal only by association. so from what i read, he can be called anything but a bengali and if you still insist please call Queen Victoria as Indian or a hindustani or a MUghal.

Back
Top Bottom