What's new

Bangladesh's Military expenditures of last 25 years

Actually BD military expenditure has been between 1-1.5% of GDP over the last 25 years. The 1.8% figure last year is wrong and for the coming fiscal it has been set at 1.3% of GDP.

Even at 1.3%, this now nearly comes to nearly 2 billion dollars, which is double that spent when the BNP was last in power. Also remember that big-ticket purchases like tanks, ships and planes come from a separate fund and you are looking at an actual BD defence budget around 2% of GDP which is not that bad.

With GDP growing at 6-7% a year hopefully for the next couple of decades at least, BD should now be in a position to slowly modernise it's defence forces over the next 1-2 decades.

No need to make a big solemn dance, just let the fairly rapid increase in military budget with the increase in GDP, allow the armed forces sufficient numbers of modern weapons to finally create a credible defensive military. The days of a military weak BD will soon be over.:nana:

1. political stability = 8-9% GDP growth rate
2. political stability + no corruption = 12-15% (or even more)

I like the number 2 option.... once we can replace current political scums with good people, BD would be unstoppable!!

Actually BD military expenditure has been between 1-1.5% of GDP over the last 25 years. The 1.8% figure last year is wrong and for the coming fiscal it has been set at 1.3% of GDP.

Even at 1.3%, this now nearly comes to nearly 2 billion dollars, which is double that spent when the BNP was last in power. Also remember that big-ticket purchases like tanks, ships and planes come from a separate fund and you are looking at an actual BD defence budget around 2% of GDP which is not that bad.

With GDP growing at 6-7% a year hopefully for the next couple of decades at least, BD should now be in a position to slowly modernise it's defence forces over the next 1-2 decades.

No need to make a big solemn dance, just let the fairly rapid increase in military budget with the increase in GDP, allow the armed forces sufficient numbers of modern weapons to finally create a credible defensive military. The days of a military weak BD will soon be over.:nana:

I like the number 2 option.... once we can replace current political scums with good people, BD would be unstoppable!!

You know, I really wish it were that simple. The problem is much, much deeper than that. It's not just those 'political scums'. They are only part of the problem.

And actually, a considerable amount of resources are spent on the military. It's not necessarily about the budget.

Never had a doubt about the second option. But lets be real shall we?! Hoping someday option 1 takes place.

Cheers!!!

option 1 for me is what I can see with my eyes open....
option 2 is something I can see with my eyes closed....

Never had a doubt about the second option. But lets be real shall we?! Hoping someday option 1 takes place.

Cheers!!!

I can see both while sleeping.

8 to 9% growth seems to be far away. Last term the economy grew by about 6.3%(?) or less. This fiscal the growth may be less than last year thanks to the unnecessary political turmoil created by AL.

Companies are not investing any more and are not importing factory machines. It shows the private investors are not willing to spend money on new factories. A larger economic growth may happen only if there is a larger investment, this is very fundamental of national economics.

So, how should we dream about a growth larger than the present 6%+ growth?

Back
Top Bottom