What's new

Bangladeshi Vegetarian Cuisine

Is Bangladeshi vegetarian cuisine as delicious as non-veg one?

• Total voters
upload_2020-6-13_18-34-23.png

This has always been my downfall.

When I was a kid/teen my maternal grandmother would make these often.

I didn't prefer them warm.

Put them in the refrigerator or even freeze them, they were AWESOME!

Seems like yesterday.

What is a speciality of Bengali or Bangladeshi cuisine? We have a Bengali para (quarter) here in Karachi. I tried a fish curry there, probably Maacher Jhol. I don't like fish so found it so-so. What are other things one should try in Bengali cuisine? Something different not cliched stuff like roshogullas.

View attachment 641502

This has always been my downfall.

When I was a kid/teen my maternal grandmother would make these often.

I didn't prefer them warm.

Put them in the refrigerator or even freeze them, they were AWESOME!

Seems like yesterday.
It looks like dosa? What is it?

- PRTP GWD

What is a speciality of Bengali or Bangladeshi cuisine? We have a Bengali para (quarter) here in Karachi. I tried a fish curry there, probably Maacher Jhol. I don't like fish so found it so-so. What are other things one should try in Bengali cuisine? Something different not cliched stuff like roshogullas.
Off-topic. The thread is on only vegetarian food.

- PRTP GWD

Bangladesh vegetarian food is awesome... My brother has twice visited this beautiful country and both times he stayed there for 15 days... Now he has lots of BD friends and he has roamed total southern Bangladesh and seen most the of the coastal BD areas as they were doing a location recce for the shooting location.... He told me that BD veg food is as awesome as India's....

If next time he gets a chance to work for BD TV commercial then I am going to visit BD with him....:enjoy:

Bangladesh vegetarian food is awesome... My brother has twice visited this beautiful country and both times he stayed there for 15 days... Now he has lots of BD friends and he has roamed total southern Bangladesh and seen most the of the coastal BD areas as they were doing a location recce for the shooting location.... He told me that BD veg food is as awesome as India's....

If next time he gets a chance to work for BD TV commercial then I am going to visit BD with him....:enjoy:

You're most welcome.

Just don't bring any RSS goons along. Our country is open to all peaceful tourists.

Below are just some of my favourites and absolute must-haves if you want to try our cuisine:

Vegetarian:
( @vishwambhar )
Boot er daal
dedf.jpg

See non-vegetarian, chicken variant in thumbnail below.

Bangladeshi "Chinese vegetable":
ccrcddfg.jpg

Non-vegetarian items:
See Hilsha Fry, Hilsha curry, Beef Kala Bhuna and Chicken Jhaal Fry in thumbnails below.
Note: Non veg Item are removed from view them click thumbnail below

Last but not the least, the king of Bangladeshi dishes revered worldwide - the Kachchi Biriyani - the flagship celebratory dish:
zzzzc.jpg

None of the fake Bangladeshis here have mentioned that they have a great array of veg options in the form of varta(pitika in my state). We too make mashed preparations out of almost everything, like the Bangladeshis. Curiously, that seems to be absent in the cuisine of WB in my limited experience.

Talk of Bangladeshi cuisine is incomplete without bhorta:
@Joe Shearer @Bagheera

Attachments

• cddc.jpg
    cddc.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 40
  • sssdds.jpg
    sssdds.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 29
  • sssdsaa.jpg
    sssdsaa.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 34
  • cxc.jpg
    cxc.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 30
  • csdcc.jpg
    csdcc.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Below are just some of my favourites and absolute must-haves if you want to try our cuisine:

Vegetarian:
( @vishwambhar )

This also comes in non-vegetarian forms with chicken/beef:
View attachment 641781

Bangladeshi "Chinese vegetable":
View attachment 641782

Meat dishes:
Hilsha - you have not experienced fish if you have not had Hilsha. Period.
Hilsha Fry:
View attachment 641783

Hilsha Curry:
View attachment 641784

Beef Kala Bhuna. This is standout magical beef experience:
View attachment 641785

Chicken Jhaal Fry:
View attachment 641786

Last but not the least, the king of Bangladeshi dishes revered worldwide - the Kachchi Biriyani - the flagship celebratory dish:
View attachment 641787

Talk of Bangladeshi cuisine is incomplete without bhorta:
@Joe Shearer @Bagheera

I ate at that Nirob restaurant more than 30 years ago. It is just a diner but for some reason it was very famoue and I guess it is still now.

For starters, some items which may not be available in Pakistan, and are my favorites

Foochka w/tamarind sauce (snack)
fuchka-bangladeshi-food-600-o.jpg

Mishty Doi (Sweet Yogurt) - dessert
iu

Rasmalai - dessert
rasmalai-bangladeshi-desert-600-o.jpg

Burhani- pre meal spicy yogurt drink similar to laban but with black pepper and slight garam masala added
borhani-bangladeshi-food-600-o.jpg

Prawn (Chingri) malai curry
Chingri-malai-curry.jpg

And the most understated two Bengali side dishes,

Potato and Egg Bhorta w/mustard oil: Mashed Dish
bhorta.jpg

And Spiced Tomato Khatta
iu

There are some recipes here in these pages,

https://www.noorieboorie.com/recipes/

Last edited:
Back