What's new

Bangladeshi film industry’s fight for survival

Unless the BD industry can up its game, it will always face pressure from the outside. Protectionism stifles innovation. Look at the Indian car industry, all we ever drove were Ambassadors and Fiats. With new companies coming in, these companies were forced to bring in better products. Even TATA had to innovate to stay competitive. Competition helps the end consumer. Protectionism breed incompetency and stifles growth.

Regarding the cultural impact, what really bothers me is the whole 'we are conservative muslim' BS. India has more muslims than Pakistan and BD. Are you suggesting that they are not muslims anymore cause they watch Indian movies?

These self proclaimed patriarchs of muslim religion and culture piss me to no ends. They act as if Islam is their grand daddys inheritance and they and only they can dictate how it has to be followed.

Yes and both are awesome. K Vs K was all about the acting prowess of Dustin Hoffman. Apocalypse Now is the greatest war film I have seen, really legendary.

Yes but, Kramer Vs Kramer won best film against Apocalypse Now....one of the greatest films ever made..Come On:undecided:

@Topic: Bangladeshis and Pakistanis who cry about the 'invasion' of Bollywood should visit South India. The 4 states that form South India all has its own film industry that match in quality to Bollywood productions eventhough South Indian films are made at a fraction of cost when compared to bollywood (This is evident when National Film Awards are announced when most of the awards are taken by regional film industry). Many of the hit Bollywood films are South Indian film remakes, the latest being Salman Khan's 'Bodyguard'. Then there is Marathi, Gujurathi, Bhojpuri, Assamese, Oriya, Manipuri,Punjabi etc film industry.

Unless the BD industry can up its game, it will always face pressure from the outside. Protectionism stifles innovation. Look at the Indian car industry, all we ever drove were Ambassadors and Fiats. With new companies coming in, these companies were forced to bring in better products. Even TATA had to innovate to stay competitive. Competition helps the end consumer. Protectionism breed incompetency and stifles growth.

Regarding the cultural impact, what really bothers me is the whole 'we are conservative muslim' BS. India has more muslims than Pakistan and BD. Are you suggesting that they are not muslims anymore cause they watch Indian movies?

These self proclaimed patriarchs of muslim religion and culture piss me to no ends. They act as if Islam is their grand daddys inheritance and they and only they can dictate how it has to be followed.

Bangladesh Government does not allow foreign films in the country's cinemas. That way, Bangladeshi filmmakers do not have to compete.

I was unable to watch Transformers 3 :cry:

Yes but, Kramer Vs Kramer won best film against Apocalypse Now....one of the greatest films ever made..Come On:undecided:

@Topic: Bangladeshis and Pakistanis who cry about the 'invasion' of Bollywood should visit South India. The 4 states that form South India all has its own film industry that match in quality to Bollywood productions eventhough South Indian films are made at a fraction of cost when compared to bollywood (This is evident when National Film Awards are announced). Many of the hit Bollywood films are South Indian film remakes, the latest being Salman Khan's 'Bodyguard'. Then there is Marathi, Gujurathi, Bhojpuri, Assamese, Oriya, Manipuri,Punjabi etc film industry.

Huh! You forgot the oldest and most critically acclaimed one - Bengali film industry.

Quality!

Bosnia is a tiny country with tiny film industry , yet they"ve got an Oscar and Bollywood has not.

To be frank Oscar s are no "real" judge of quality ...not by a long chalk .

Films getting awards or even nominations are all those which somewhat follow the conventional Hollywood cinematic standards ,

And in India's case any movie made from a foreigner's perspective and focusing exclusively on the "reality" in India as westerners see it ...all the negatives --poverty, illitracy , prostitution etc etc is bound to get an Award.

Quality also means subcontinental sensitivities , culture , a certain amount of emotion , melo-drama , comedy , sense of style etc etc .

These are facets of our Cinema which Oscars cannot capture and we dont need a couple of Western Oscar selection panelists to tell us what is quality and what is not.

Sometimes if the Audience appreciates Amir Khan 's acting in Tare Zameen Par or Three Idiots for example , we should not be bothered that the Oscar committee did not like it .

To hell with them and their obnoxious pomposity. We should learn to appreciate our own .
regards ,
:cheers:

Bangladesh Government does not allow foreign films in the country's cinemas. That way, Bangladeshi filmmakers do not have to compete.

Thats cheap...too cheap. Pls tell your film guys to stand on their own legs rather than the one borrowed from the Govt.

After the advent of the internet, such 18th century measures are so not effective. Not playing foreign movies only hurt the cinemas. People can download and watch anyways.

I hope BD moves on and becomes a more open and liberal society.

Thats cheap...too cheap. Pls tell your film guys to stand on their own legs rather than the one borrowed from the Govt.

Fact: Bangladeshi politicians are cheap people :P

After the advent of the internet, such 18th century measures are so not effective. Not playing foreign movies only hurt the cinemas. People can download and watch anyways.

I hope BD moves on and becomes a more open and liberal society.

At times I have come to think that BD politics is a fascist society.

I thought only Indian movies are not allowed.... Hollywood stuffs are always screened at Star... u just have to wait for a few months

I thought only Indian movies are not allowed.... Hollywood stuffs are always screened at Star... u just have to wait for a few months

And you feel that HLLYWood movies don't have a negative cultural impact vis-a-vis Indian movies? So why ban Indian movies?

And you feel that HLLYWood movies don't have a negative cultural impact vis-a-vis Indian movies? So why ban Indian movies?

Well if we have indian movies, it is gonna hurt our film industry. Our cinemas will try to squeeze out the slots for bd movies as indian movies are more popular than bd ones. A large chunk of the bd cinema going population will watch indian movies instead of bd ones, therefore causing a decline of the industry.

Hollywood movies are mostly seen by the upper class and people who have no trouble understanding english. The movie going population from this group is quite small. So it does not really affect us culturally.

Well if we have indian movies, it is gonna hurt our film industry. Our cinemas will try to squeeze out the slots for bd movies as indian movies are more popular than bd ones. A large chunk of the bd cinema going population will watch indian movies instead of bd ones, therefore causing a decline of the industry.

Hollywood movies are mostly seen by the upper class and people who have no trouble understanding english. The movie going population from this group is quite small. So it does not really affect us culturally.

So the upper class people should have variety in their life, but poor people since they are poor should stick with only Bangladeshi movies. Seems pretty fair to me:lol:

Well bro, i guess the main strategy relied upon here by the Gov is to protect the local film industry. You see there is a huge demand for Indian movies, both Hindi and Bengali, here as the language is easily understandable by the mass public and the culture of our countries are pretty much inter-wined. As such, the local industry feels threatened by their counterparts in India.

On the other hand, Hollywood movies, being in English, are rarely understandable by the mass public while their culture is no where near us. Unlike Indian movies, Hollywood stuffs have a very small market here and that too to the upper class of the society.

The question here is not about CULTURAL IMPACT here. Its about the local economy, local film industry and protecting its future.

For that matter, the Gov banned Indian movies.

Back
Top Bottom