What's new

Bangladesh to be ‘central business hub’ in Southeast Asia: Farnandez

India is much more closer to South-East Asia than Bangladesh thanks to NE states and A&N islands

and you need BD transit to come close to two parts of your Country :angel:

good job Hasina didi again....everything that is good in bd happens because of her. once she is out, bd guys will start posting horror stories here.. :cheers:
good joke bro
:omghaha:

India is much more closer to South-East Asia than Bangladesh thanks to NE states and A&N islands

How can you say that? Oh, I forgot!!! Yes, yes, the eastern Himalayan toe of India is connected to the SEA. But, Indian main land people themselves have to pole vault at least two times to enter that rebel infested NE Himalayan range.

USA knows Indian NE is like a green desert that will remain dependent upon BD all the years to come for its survival.

and you need BD transit to come close to two parts of your Country :angel:

indian-railway-map.jpg

How can you say that? Oh, I forgot!!! Yes, yes, the eastern Himalayan toe of India is connected to the SEA. But, Indian main land people themselves have to pole vault at least two times to enter that rebel infested NE Himalayan range.

USA knows Indian NE is like a green desert that will remain dependent upon BD all the years to come for its survival.

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

bhai.. already thank you bol diya..are you going to remind us that till eternity?
although I think GoI should pay bd for it...

that is what we want, win-win situation, you will get transit which will bring your other country part more closer to you, on the hand we will get transit fee :)

But, India is not willing to sweeten its request with sugar, We see Indian offer is a bitter pill unfit for consumption by BD. Thodi sa Shakkar to Daala Karo!!!

That's what I have been thinking about, we have never shied away before from making due payment for service rendered in mutual interest. It boggles even my mind as to why the GOI is behaving so differently on this. How expensive can it be anyway and regardless why not pay the fee which has been well earned? Is there some precedent, do countries provide free transit to others?:what:

Either way Bangladesh shall form, if the ASEAN countries along with India and BD get their act together, a crucial link in the future trade routes. Even as we build the India-Myanmar-Thailand transit route..it becomes only more beneficial if it is linked to BD as well..why leave out a 160 million denizens of the region. Hopefully such linkages shall be taken up. Whatever other compliant one may have against another..to be prosperous is to be glorious. It makes sense to see the American comment in this context..saddled between routes BD will indeed be a hub of sorts..maybe not like the silk route of old but coin can flow east to west too.

that is what we want, win-win situation, you will get transit which will bring your other country part more closer to you, on the hand we will get transit fee :)

No, not only that. We must get our fair share of water. This is more binding.

Either way Bangladesh shall form, if the ASEAN countries along with India and BD get their act together, a crucial link in the future trade routes. Even as we build the India-Myanmar-Thailand transit route..it becomes only more beneficial if it is linked to BD as well..why leave out a 160 million denizens of the region. Hopefully such linkages shall be taken up. Whatever other compliant one may have against another..to be prosperous is to be glorious.

It makes sense to see the American comment in this context..saddled between routes BD will indeed be a hub of sorts..maybe not like the silk route of old but coin can flow east to west too.

Kolkata-NE connection via BD is a politcally sensitive issue in BD. However, your proposed India-NE-Burma-Thailand route to connect India with ASEAN is a detour and is not feasible when thought in the context of the economic benefits.

The natural route is Kolkata-BD-Burma-Thailand and onward to south to Malaysia and Singapore, and towards east to Vietnam.

Your propsed route is not practical because the real destinations are in the south that can only be penetrated by India through BD.

I sometimes think if only India discards its Big Dada policy, BIMSTEC will be reality, and I believe it will be much stronger an economic association than ASEAN itself. All the BIMSTEC countries are thriving forward except Burma. But, without Burma BIMSTEC cannot be materialized.

This thread remind me this...................

NEW YORK, September 20, 2011 — "The Switzerland of the East" isn't a title most would associate with Bangladesh. Yet this is an impression Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina would like to forge.

Speaking at the Asia Society on Tuesday afternoon, Hasina mentioned the central European nation as a role model for her own country, citing the two countries' similar position as crossroads amid much larger powers.

Without a doubt, Bangladesh has a long way to go before anyone confuses it with one of the world's most prosperous countries. In recent years, however, the Bangladeshi economy has shown impressive growth, averaging six percent even during the recent global economic slowdown. According to the prime minister's prepared remarks, all sectors of the economy — agricultural, industrial and services — have shared in the growth, and 90 percent of annual public expenditure now comes from domestic sources.

On top of this progress, Bangladesh has enormous economic potential, not least due to its geographic location. Situated between India and Southeast Asia and only a short distance from China, Bangladesh is positioning itself as a regional economic hub. Demographics may also play a favorable role in Bangladesh's future. Of its population of over 160 million people, more than half are under the age of 40. Such a sizeable, inexpensive pool of labor could pay the same dividends in Bangladesh as it has in China, India and elsewhere.

"We want to become the breeze between East and West," remarked Sheikh Hasina.

Clearly, major problems persist. Bangladesh remains one of the continent's poorest nations, facing enormous resource and environmental hurdles. Political instability has plagued the country since its independence from Pakistan in 1971, often preventing previous governments from implementing sound economic policies. Corruption remains rife in spite of Hasina's rhetorical commitment to eliminating it. Basic needs such as food, shelter, education, and health care remain the prime minister's biggest priority.

"Helping my people meet those needs is the only thing I worry about," she said.

Yet one could detect a spirited optimism in Sheik Hasina, now in her second tenure as prime minister. Relations with neighboring countries are good, and the investment climate has improved markedly since her first days in office. The prime minister, though, believes more can be done. Referring to high US tariffs on apparel and textile products, the prime minster said that waiving these tariffs would "contribute to our economic development and social transformation, particularly in the empowerment of women."

Bangladesh may not be close to becoming a world-class skiing destination, but in the future comparisons to Switzerland may become considerably more apt.

Bangladesh on the Rise | Asia Society

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom