What's new

Bangladesh to be ‘central business hub’ in Southeast Asia: Farnandez

Kolkata-NE connection via BD is a politcally sensitive issue in BD. However, your proposed India-NE-Burma-Thailand route to connect India with ASEAN is a detour and is not feasible when thought in the context of the economic benefits.

The natural route is Kolkata-BD-Burma-Thailand and onward to south to Malaysia and Singapore, and towards east to Vietnam.

Your propsed route is not practical because the real destinations are in the south that can only be penetrated by India through BD.

I sometimes think if only India discards its Big Dada policy, BIMSTEC will be reality, and I believe it will be much stronger an economic association than ASEAN itself. All the BIMSTEC countries are thriving forward except Burma. But, without Burma BIMSTEC cannot be materialized.

On that we shall have to agree to disagree..the Indian-Burma-Thailand link as it stands is a good idea..in this case the linking nation is Myanmar..it is Myanmar which shares borders with the nations we want to reach. Let the map illustrate that :-

Myanmar.png

But if we are to link this route to say Southern India or even Western India then yes BD would be a beneficial link since it would be a much shorter route to extend that link through BD than over Indian territory itself..the same principle that applies to the current transit link being worked upon by BD and India. Ergo any linkage through BD is important in the context of extending the current I-B-T link to the rest of India in the future, something which I think is sure to fructify in the future dependent on our dealings with BD.

As to whether BIMSTEC shall be better than ASEAN..I cannot comment upon that and thus shall leave that to my betters to ponder upon.

As far as political sensitivities in BD go, again I find myself at a disadvantage. You shall have to educate me on that topic since I doubt that what I have gleaned from the posts so far shall be remotely sufficient or completely accurate. In fact if you could devote some time towards such an enterprise- I would be very grateful.

Bangladesh will be nothing without cooperation with India.

Bangladesh should aim to become the transit hub. This will shape or will play an important secondary role to its economic activities. Routes are India-BD-ASEAN, and India-BD-Burma-China. All three blocks around BD have big markets, and land route through BD, specially the railway transit is the fastest and cheapest.

BD can indeed become the economic hub in SE Asia. Indians, please understand that Uncle Sam decided that BoB is the responsibilty of BD. Now, the same Uncle Sam is telling the world that BD belongs to SE Asia. So, what does it implies?

Bangladesh should aim to become the transit hub. This will shape or will play an important secondary role to its economic activities. Routes are India-BD-ASEAN, and India-BD-Burma-China. All three blocks around BD have big markets, and land route through BD, specially the railway transit is the fastest and cheapest.

BD can indeed become the economic hub in SE Asia. Indians, please understand that Uncle Sam decided that BoB is the responsibilty of BD. Now, the same Uncle Sam is telling the world that BD belongs to SE Asia. So, what does it implies?

Uncle Sam usually extends his hands too far and gets burnt for the effort. The BOB is no where near yours..you will always have to contend with us for it..in that case at least one may term us hegemonic.

Other than that I agree. True prosperity will require crucial BD land links otherwise while trade may still flourish it will not be nearly as beneficial. Ergo my insistence that as other BD members have suggested we must sweeten the pot for BD with regard to the transit.

Myanmar.png

But if we are to link this route to say Southern India or even Western India then yes BD would be a beneficial link since it would be a much shorter route to extend that link through BD than over Indian territory itself..the same principle that applies to the current transit link being worked upon by BD and India. Ergo any linkage through BD is important in the context of extending the current I-B-T link to the rest of India in the future, something which I think is sure to fructify in the future dependent on our dealings with BD.

Looking superficially, south India looks very far away from the central point in BD. But, then I checked the distance of some points in Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam. I found the distances are longer than to South or west India from BD. It means even South India can be reached probably in less than ten days from Vietnam by rail. Much faster than the sea voyage.

yes and it is all about politics, do not worry Hasina is not coming back to power :lol: Last time myself voted Hasina, this time :tdown:

I wanted you to read these two paragraphs. :lol::lol:

Connecting China with Bangladesh via Myanmar is rather tricky though. The high-security fence that separates them has the distinction of being the only fortified international border that suits the purposes of both sides. Bangladesh and Myanmar are unified in their desire that the fence must stand tall and prevent the exodus of Rohingyas from Myanmar, as happened in the 1990s. (While Myanmar seems none too hospitable towards its Rohingya population, it does want to retain control over their movements.)

Sheikh Hasina has agreed to allow India to use its territory for transit. But the absence of proper roads makes the concession meaningless. And so India has been making plans without Bangladesh to secure access to its landlocked north-eastern states, via Myanmar. It is developing a deep-sea port in Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine state in Myanmar. The port is 500-odd km from Kolkata, India’s main port on the Bay of Bengal and part of India’s so-called Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project—a gateway to India’s landlocked north-eastern states. Rather conveniently, Sittwe is also close to Myanmar’s massive Shwe gasfield. The idea will be to run a canal, highway and possibly a pipeline from Sittwe to a newly constructed river port in Myanmar’s Chin state, and then on to the border with the Indian state of Mizoram. The project is expected to become operational by mid-2013. And so Bangladesh looks likely to be left in its isolation.

Bangladesh and its near-abroad: The begums and the two giants | The Economist

1. we started constructing roads to connect with Myanmar :D
2. what SH said is just verbal not fully operational, of course we want to give you transit but not without benefit.
3. Explain more about Myanmar utilization :D

Any proof. :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom