What's new

Bangladesh General Election : 2018

I'm talking more about vote rigging potential at the root (not being all that relevant to the choice of presidential vs parliamentary)....rather than the higher level discussion of how the actual (elected) govt then functions (in accordance with the electorate's desires etc)....the latter is a really long conversation we would have to have...I am sure some ppl would enjoy watching us have it....but not all that many :P

It's becoming VERY relevant in India because of the distortions brought in by that dud Modi and his use of the PMO as a constitutional office. I am reminded of the transition in English administration in the pre-Tudor ages; it was fascinating to follow as an historical subject, and dismaying to find it being played out in real life in our own countries.

The subtleties are so important; 90% of the USA's scandalous state today is due to that idiot Trump's complete ignorance.

Yeah anything winning more than 80% of a constituency's votes tends to not pass muster for my 1st-sniff test....and you are telling me something like 99% was won lol (I get the chap is popular and all, but cmon!)

It's becoming VERY relevant in India because of the distortions brought in by that dud Modi and his use of the PMO as a constitutional office. I am reminded of the transition in English administration in the pre-Tudor ages; it was fascinating to follow as an historical subject, and dismaying to find it being played out in real life in our own countries.

The subtleties are so important; 90% of the USA's scandalous state today is due to that idiot Trump's complete ignorance.

The MP, Rajasthan etc results were just fluffy feel good so ppl dont poke around at the larger compromise of the system!...same with the house results in the US recently ;) @VCheng

Sorry joe, couldn't resist :P ....do you think it will reflect in the institutional metrics by Cato etc?...or they bought off by chesty buffoon and Trump baboon too?....MUST BE RUSSIAN COLLUSION.

Masrafe murtaza won election with a lead of 1.6 million and bnp candidate was able to get 22k votes:lol:
Yes this million is a tragic million that made our 3 lakh as 3 millions . However his vote was 2.6 lakh, not million. You are making the same mistake that mujib made in Heathrow airport .

Last edited:
The MP, Rajasthan etc results were just fluffy feel good so ppl dont poke around at the larger compromise of the system!...same with the house results in the US recently ;) @VCheng

US elections work in somewhat different ways, with parties holding sway over personalities they field. But let's keep this thread on track. We can discuss that line of thought elsewhere.

@Pakistani guys, who want a better relationship with Bangladesh.
In this election, BNP is utterly destroyed ( doesn't matter how) , so since now ( in few months) AL will stop harping about 1971 as it will no longer be needed for them . I can bet they are not going to use Pakistan negatively for political benefits .
:coffee:
Ps: vote of mashrafee is 2.6 lakh, not 1.6 million. @ all

Last edited:
AL will stop harping about 1971 as it will no longer be needed for them . I can bet they are not going to use Pakistan negatively for political benefits .

:rofl::rofl:

She will harp about 1971 as long as she is alive. Main opposition leader was Sheikh Mujib's associate and negotiator for Awami League in 1970 elections. He was imprisoned in 1971 alonqwith Mujib. Her party leader called him a collaborator. Awami League uses 71 to hide it corruption to manipulate the foolish Bangla public for last 10 years. Now they have started to call Mujibassociates as Razaakar which they'll do whoever opposes them.

Bangladesh after Rohingya ethnic cleansing, motijheel massacre and Indian mass rape and killings in Nellie 1984 clinging onto 1971 shows your country's mental problems. You need a bogeyman who is foreign.

:rofl::rofl:

She will harp about 1971 as long as she is alive. Main opposition leader was Sheikh Mujib's associate and negotiator for Awami League in 1970 elections. He was imprisoned in 1971 alonqwith Mujib. Her party leader called him a collaborator. Awami League uses 71 to hide it corruption to manipulate the foolish Bangla public for last 10 years. Now they have started to call Mujibassociates as Razaakar which they'll do whoever opposes them.

Bangladesh after Rohingya ethnic cleansing, motijheel massacre and Indian mass rape and killings in Nellie 1984 clinging onto 1971 shows your country's mental problems. You need a bogeyman who is foreign.

Total and utter butt-hurt displayed in the post.

Are we one of those or whose relatives got bashed by BD freedom fighters in 1971?

If we are then we got what we deserved since we were fighting against the BD nation
on BD soil.

She will harp about 1971 as long as she is alive
I know the condition of my own country better than you I believe. I know the sentiment of my compatriots properly ( Hasina knows much much better than me because she is politician) , and you only know the sentiments of my PDF compatriots.
This is the difference, thank you.

There is corruption from top to bottom. India, as far as remember, tops the most corrupt asian countries' list.

Just would like to inform you that the "list" you are talking about included only a small selection of Asian countries....fewer than 10% of them iirc.

When a more complete, comprehensive listing is given, the rankings are like this regarding corruption:

https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2017

India is by far nowhere near the most corrupt countries in Asia like BD.

Hasina’s Awami League wins landslide victory as Bangladesh opposition calls election ‘farcical’
Moinul Hoque Chowdhury, bdnews24.com

Published: 30 Dec 2018 22:12 BdST Updated: 31 Dec 2018 03:12 BdST

• Pm-vote-2.jpg

The people of Bangladesh have given their mandate to the ruling Awami League of Sheikh Hasina to form government for a record third straight term in an election marred by deadly violence and allegations of widespread rigging.

Hasina is set to become prime minister for an unprecedented fourth term after her party secured win in 203 constituencies of the 300-seat parliament, according to results released by the Election Commission for 235 seats until 3am on Monday.

EC Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed has been announcing the results from the commission headquarters in Dhaka since the voting ended at 4pm on Sunday.

The ruling party is followed by its key ally the Jatiya Party at 22.

The BNP, a key ally of the opposition alliance, has suffered a massive rout with just six seats.

Opposition Jatiya Oikya Front chief Kamal Hossain called the polls a ‘farce’ and demanded a fresh vote citing widespread polling frauds.

PM-vote.jpg

Early indications of the massive margin of the victory for the Awami League were visible in the race contested by Bangladesh’s prime minister for the Gopalganj-3 seat.

According to the official results announced by Secretary Helal, Hasina received 229,529 votes from the 246,514 voters in the constituency.

The paddy sheaf candidate for the Gopalganj-3 set was SM Zilani, who received only 123 votes. The turnout at Gopalganj for the race was 93 percent, the EC secretary said.

Bangladesh went to the polls between 8am and 4pm on Sunday. Voting was suspended at 22 polling centres due to irregularities.

At least 17 people were killed in election violence in 11 districts across the country.

OPPOSITION SAYS ‘CRUEL MOCKERY’

The Jatiya Oikya Front rejected the election results and called upon the Election Commission to hold new elections under a neutral government.

The alliance chief Kamal Hossain said they had received similar reports of voting frauds from nearly all voting centres in the country.

“You must cancel this election right away,” Kamal urged the EC. “We reject the so-called results and demand a new election under a neutral government.”

kamal-hossain-press-conference-30122018-0002.jpg

Dr Kamal Hossain and other leaders of the Jatiya Oikya Front alliance speaking at a press conference in Dhaka on Sunday night after daylong voting amid deadly violence. Alleging widespread rigging, the Oikya Front has demanded fresh elections.

At least 31 candidates running independently or as candidates of the BNP, Jamaat-e-Islami or Jatiya Oikya Front pulled out of the race midway.

Asked what steps he would take if his demands were not met, Kamal Hossain said: “We will sit tomorrow and discuss in detail what to do. We will continue our movement to institute democracy. We will provide further details at a later time.”

Asked what he would do if the Oikya Front won the polls, BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir said: “We are boycotting the entire election. This is not an election. This is a cruel mockery of democracy.”

“We will inform you of our decision tomorrow,” he added. “Many people believe we were wrong to boycott the polls on Jan 5, 2014,” he said. “But today proves us right.”

‘PROMISES KEPT’

The Bangladesh government has made sure the election is participated by all parties, Gowher Rizvi, international affairs adviser to the prime minister, has told foreign observers.

In a post-election briefing at Hotel Sonargaon, he claimed the government has also ensured free access for all voters and maintained a “very calm” environment for polls.

“I’m pleased because we have kept the promises we made,” he said. Eighteen people, he said, were killed in the polls and of them 12 were members of the Awami League.

11th-parliamentary-election-mirza+abbas+college-29122018-0002.jpg

Earlier, HT Imam, political affairs adviser to the prime minister, said, “A powerful team of observers has arrived from the OIC, the Commonwealth and from India. They are high-profile individuals, famous journalists and observers.”

“They’ve all praised this election,” said Imam, also co-chairman of the party’s election steering committee.

The alliance chief Kamal Hossain said they had received similar reports of voting frauds from nearly all voting centres in the country.

“You must cancel this election right away,” Kamal urged the EC. “We reject the so-called results and demand a new election under a neutral government.”

Has EC given any comment so far?

Back
Top Bottom