What's new

Bangladesh Army Issues Tender To Procure Attack Helicopter

Remember, US can sanction u anytime as long as you remain obedient to US.
We won't do anything that ends up with us getting sanctioned.
We are neutral with respect to PRC-USA conflict and will not pick a side against neighbours and friends.

We won't do anything that ends up with us getting sanctioned.
We are neutral with respect to PRC-USA conflict and will not pick a side against neighbours and friends.
You really think US will think that way.

Remember US famous words.

" You are either with US or against us! "
True but BD can wait till the Turkish domestic engine is ready.
How long? All u can come up with is just pure speculation. You view are full with biased and fantasy.

How long? All u can come up with is just pure speculation. You view are full with biased and fantasy.

Look it is not just technical reasons but geopolitical as well.

BD is far more likely to need to use these helicopters against Myanmar this decade and next than India and so needs the ability to use them freely against them.

As for domestic Turkish engine, they have already run it in 2020 and think it will be ready around 2025 and that is probably around the earliest that BD will recieve brand new attack helicopters anyway from any source. 1-2 extra years wait is no big deal.

IMO the AH-1Z is the better option for Bangladesh. The AH-1Z is a bit bigger and benefits from salt-erosion-proofing, which means you can operate it closer to your shores (if need be) for amphibious or coastal defence operations. Tbh, if I were BD, I'd also invest more in your naval special ops (e.g., frogmen) capability with shallow-water attack subs, more SOF operators, and a landing helicopter deck-type capability. Focus on capturing or constraining enemy ports, sea lanes, naval ISR assets, etc.

OTOH, the T129 shares the same engine as the AW159. So, if you're still getting the latter, you'll have engine commonality which can streamline maintenance.

Anyways, my modernization proposal for BD would be:
  • Saab JAS-39E/F (induct in the 2020s)
  • KAI KF-21(induct in the 2030s)
  • AH-1Z for Army, BAF
  • AH-1Z and UH-1Y for BN SOF
  • Erieye ER onboard an Embraer E190-E2 or Lineage 1000E
  • ASW/ASuW LRMPA based on Embraer E190-E2 (similar to the PN Sea Sultan)
  • Custom Frigates based on a Turkish design, built-in Bangladesh
  • Custom Submarines based on Turkey's STM TS1700, ideally built-in Bangladesh
  • SWATs from Turkey or Italy
You guys have a good economy, it's time to cash in and start evoking your classical Bengal identity (e.g., Shahi Sultanate, etc) to distinguish yourselves from your neighbours. You guys should be the real tigers of the East and others should acknowledge that IMHO. You're not just another country, but a historically great civilization.

Last edited:
IMO the AH-1Z is the better option for Bangladesh. The AH-1Z is a bit bigger and benefits from salt-erosion-proofing, which means you can operate it closer to your shores (if need be) for amphibious or coastal defence operations. Tbh, if I were BD, I'd also invest more in your naval special ops (e.g., frogmen) capability with shallow-water attack subs, more SOF operators, and a landing helicopter deck-type capability. Focus on capturing or constraining enemy ports, sea lanes, naval ISR assets, etc.

OTOH, the T129 shares the same engine as the AW159. So, if you're still getting the latter, you'll have engine commonality which can streamline maintenance.

Anyways, my modernization proposal for BD would be:
  • AH-1Z for Army, BAF
  • Erieye ER onboard an Embraer E190-E2 or Lineage 1000E
  • ASW/ASuW LRMPA based on Embraer E190-E2 (similar to the PN Sea Sultan)
  • Custom Frigates based on a Turkish design, built-in Bangladesh
  • Custom Submarines based on Turkey's STM TS1700, ideally built-in Bangladesh
  • SWATs from Turkey or Italy
You guys have a good economy, it's time to cash in and start evoking your classical Bengal identity (e.g., Shahi Sultanate, etc) to distinguish yourselves from your neighbours. You guys should be the real tigers of the East and others should acknowledge that IMHO. You're not just another country, but a historically great civilization.

Someone please make this guy Defense Minister of Bangladesh!

I swear dude you would do a much better job than these a33hats there now.

Tbh, if I were BD, I'd also invest more in your naval special ops (e.g., frogmen) capability with shallow-water attack subs, more SOF operators, and a landing helicopter deck-type capability.

SWADS's capability is increasing, LPD is on the card.

• AH-1Z for Army, BAF

Doubt any of these have any chance. Instead of buying JAS-39 we better buy F- 16 or J-10 which doesn't have components from multiple countries (notice Argentina's case). If we have to rely on USA anyway then F-16 should be the choice. Do we even have to wait for American BVR like Meteor? Isn't AH-1Z and UH-1Y costlier than AH-64 and UH-60?

And instead of buying KF-21 BD should wait for TFX project. Hope that will reduce our dependency on West and East and save us from drama and delay.

ASW/ASuW LRMPA based on Embraer E190-E2 (similar to the PN Sea Sultan)

They won't spend money like PN for converstion. Heard ATR-72 might get selected. But SC-130J could be better. BN can use as cargo too if necessary.

Right man , F-35 and F-22 are superior. BD shall also considered them. Oh, I forget BD is the world largest economy and unlimited printing money abilities, right?

Get the best, don't care about cost. I got it. How naive r u? When are you going to get CVN Gerald Ford aircraft carrier?

Acting like a total butt-hurt won't change anything. If we can afford EFT then we surely can afford F-35. Forget T-129, your helicopter doesn't even come close to Russian helicopters. Even Z-10 was designed with Russian assistance. We don't have that kinda problem with US like you do, it's one of our top export destination. And you shouldn't even cry about the US when you don't even support BD in Rohingya issue.

I don't think that's the problem as we already bought more Mi-17 series from them.

Considering Apache fuselages if ordered will be manufactured at TATA facility in India, and Bangladeshis being concerned of Indian quality- how does it look like for Apache? Bangladesh can surely do better, eh?
bruh, are you serious? stop trolling. I am sure Americans make sure all their parts outsourced to Indians are not left on the mercy of coconuts and cow dung/urine.

True but BD can wait till the Turkish domestic engine is ready
We shouldn't wait for it. Has America placed any sanctions on us ? infact , many senior US officials (civilian and military) said that they wanted to ''increase cooperation'' with us (or something similar) .
Go for the T-129 with US engines.
The only hurdles i see is ACSA and GSMIOA.

Whenever a country which had no experience in gas turbine development, promises a new advanced gas turbine (like a helicopter engine), there will be skepticism. They won't be ready anytime soon, certainly not within the time scale they propose. It's almost certain they won't. If they do, it'll be horrendously unreliable

They can't even produce a modern diesel engine for their Altay tank. Or their trucks, APCs, MRAPs for that matter. They use western engines or licensed-built western engines. And Gas Turbines is another ball game. This is just a marketing ploy. Like the 1800hp "indigenous" Turko engine for Altay.

Let's just say, there are reasons why very few countries are capable of producing turbofans, turboprops, turboshafts, or even industrial steam turbines (for power stations), on anything other than the experimental/test stage. And Turkey isn't one of them.

It's one of those things where there is literally no substitute for experience. And these experiences are always top secret. It took China three decades, and billions in R&D to crack it.

We shouldn't wait for it. Has America placed any sanctions on us ? infact , many senior US officials (civilian and military) said that they wanted to ''increase cooperation'' with us (or something similar) .
Go for the T-129 with US engines.
The only hurdles i see is ACSA and GSMIOA.

I don't think the US will block engines since its only gonna be about 8 units or so.

Whenever a country which had no experience in gas turbine development, promises a new advanced gas turbine (like a helicopter engine), there will be skepticism. They won't be ready anytime soon, certainly not within the time scale they propose. It's almost certain they won't. If they do, it'll be horrendously unreliable

They can't even produce a modern diesel engine for their Altay tank. Or their trucks, APCs, MRAPs for that matter. They use western engines or licensed-built western engines. And Gas Turbines is another ball game. This is just a marketing ploy. Like the 1800hp "indigenous" Turko engine for Altay.

Let's just say, there are reasons why very few countries are capable of producing turbofans, turboprops, turboshafts, or even industrial steam turbines (for power stations), on anything other than the experimental/test stage. And Turkey isn't one of them.

It's one of those things where there is literally no substitute for experience. And these experiences are always top secret. It took China three decades, and billions in R&D to crack it.

Well China produced a reliable, if underpowered engine, for their Z-10 helicopter all the way back in 2010 and that was around the time when they were finally confident enough to trust the WS-10 enough to equip the twin-engine J-11B.

Let us wait and see and keep an open mind on this as Turkey made better sub-systems for the T-129 than China did with the Z-10.

Given that our difficult riverine terrain and poor road and rail infrastructure make mobilisation of troop reinforcements a slow process, attack helicopters in numbers will be absolute game changers towards repelling enemy attacks or even striking enemy territory.

We should work towards ensuring every Infantry Divison (~10000-15000 troops; ~5-6 infantry/armoured/artillery/engineers brigades + supporting formations) is supported with attack helicopters.
We should for aim for gradually inducting enough attack helicopters to reach a fleet size large enough to average about 8-10 units per division. The helicopters do not necessarily have to be attached as small squadrons to each division but we can consider splitting up Army Aviation Group into 3-4 regions with each region supporting 3-4 divisons and housing 24-40 attack helicopters.

If the WZ-16 engine turns out to be powerful enough and Z-10 overall can be verified to be reliable and offered cheap, BA should consider a hi-lo mix of T129 and Z-10 to be able to make the required numbers.

I am against Apaches being bought as they are not value for money and leave us to US mercy despite having other options in the market especially T-129 which is very likely to stop using American engines in the near future.

Last edited:
Calling me out for trolling, and making joke of certain hindu religious customs like breaking coconuts. Good going.
I apologize unconditionally for the uncalled and wrong remarks which can be attributed towards Hindu Traditions. Disagreements aside, as a Pakistan and a Muslim, I am bound to respect other religions including Hinduism.

Back
Top Bottom