What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

What do you mean by effectiveness? All types except the mig are overhauled in bd.

That - and let me add, without foreign involvement. There are differences between maintaining commercial aircraft (A, C, D checks) and those for fighters/bombers. C-130's. AN-32's and LET 410's are maintained like commercial aircraft, but PT-6's, L-39's, K-8's, F-7's are different how they are maintained. But all are done locally like @Michael Corleone mentioned.

The maintenance in between flight cycles and airbase stops does not need to be very extensive - because it has just landed, presumably working fine, the things that need to be checked primarily involve what has the most chance of decaying during a flight (tires, oil, general wear and tear, etc). Fighters/bombers don't generally fly several legs in a day. Fighters might double/triple turn, and in between each of these flights the maintenance inspection is a much lower requirement than between each day of flying.
  • Component Requirements - Supersonic jet engines need maintenance more often than high bypass commercial engines. They are stressed much more, and work on a much tighter margin of error, thus fighter/bomber aircraft need maintenance more often.
  • Age - Military fighter/bomber aircraft are on average much older than the average commercial aircraft. C-130's are from the 70's, and AN-32's are from the 80's, most of the fighter fleet are from the 90's. Older aircraft require more maintenance, and there is no avoiding it. Between fighters and bombers, they each have different flying styles. Fighter engines work a lot harder than bomber engines, and thus require maintenance more often. Some transports are much larger, and have more systems that can break.
  • Ejection Seats - Most military combat aircraft carry ejection seats, which have a very specific maintenance routine. This may include repacking the associated parachute, and checking to ensure that all components are functional/in good repair.
  • Weapons - The obvious difference between fighters/bombers and commercial airliners is that they carry weapons. This means that there is a software package that needs to be maintained (that controls the weapons), the aircraft hardware needs to be maintained (i.e. bomb bays, missile racks, hard points, etc), and the weapon itself requires building/deconstruction.
  • Flight Computer - Combat aircraft often have tactically specific functions in their flight computer that a commercial airliner would not. There are routines to help calculate bomb trajectory, to link with other combat aircraft and many other military specific tasks that a commercial airliner would not need.
Performance has a slightly higher emphasis than reliability in military aircraft than in commercial aircraft.

Can anyone educate me on why we need dual engine fighters? Given Bd is so small areawise, why do we need deep strike capabilities? Why not go for a cheaper single engine option like Gripen or F16? The gripens armed with meteor missile will provide deterrence against Myanmar Su30s and Indian Rafales.
J20 is an overkill for our needs as neither India or Myanmar have stealth fighters.

Can anyone educate me on why we need dual engine fighters? Given Bd is so small areawise, why do we need deep strike capabilities? Why not go for a cheaper single engine option like Gripen or F16? The gripens armed with meteor missile will provide deterrence against Myanmar Su30s and Indian Rafales.
J20 is an overkill for our needs as neither India or Myanmar have stealth fighters.

Maritime mission is the only rationale I can think of.

Even then what you say is correct.

Bangladesh really needs a modern single seat work horse able to mount modern munitions.

And in decent numbers.

Single engine fighters will struggle to dogfight against Su-30s.

Last edited:
Single engine fighters will struggle to dogfight against Su-30s.
You are right despite what Pakistan claims, a SU 30 would destroy a F16 in a fair fight.
Given SU 30 s impressive maneuverability and 3 D vectoring, even F18s, F15s Rafales, EFs would also struggle in a dog fight. If the su 30 shoots down a EF, we would lose $100M. I think we can have some sort of credible deterrence as long as we have a platform's and radar capable of delivering long range missiles such as PL 15/Meteor and avoid dog fights.
I just hope BAF makes a sensible decision and not bankrupt the taxpayers. I am kind of glad they are taking their time for Mrca rather than impulse buying SU 30s.

Last edited:
Dual engine fighters have the benefit of flying on one engine if the other fails. However it’s more difficult in stall situation

In what way?
He might be thinking of sheer thrust... but I reckon sukhoi bleeds out energy faster!?

Back
Top Bottom