What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

today we got one

we should buy their entire c-130 stock if possible

I think they ran out of the shorter 'J' models which were refurbished with RR engines and sold to BAF.

RAF wanted to change over to the longer fuselage models new from the US so they got rid of the shorter 'J' models.

upcoming talks with USA
pic unrelated

''They, however, mentioned that the main agendas of the meeting are likely be to democracy, human rights and labour rights situation in Bangladesh, sanctions on RAB and its senior officials, and economic cooperation, climate change and Covid-related cooperation, maritime cooperation and harnessing the potential of Free and Open Indo-Pacific, cooperation in peacekeeping operations, counterterrorism, military to military exercise and defence procurement.''

DTB speculating again.

I was wrong.

I now appreciate more the geopolitical considerations/challenges BD/BAF has in regards to what direction its gonna go with procurement.

Damn the world is a fooked up place.

More important than what Bangladesh buys is it needs to earnestly set up a robust fighting capability.

Bangladesh CAN NOT rely on outside players for support if India ever invades.

(Which I thought was an impossibility, but not so sure anymore)

Bangladesh does need to balance the US and China for as long as it can.

And procurement from China DOES need to be part of the military equation.

I think BAF should go European and Chinese and maintain as much as a neutral stance as possible in the coming tensions between the US and China.

Also I encourage you guys to watch the whole video and reflect on his worldview and how it pertains to lesser states like Bangladesh.

Also: Note the date of the talk.

Last edited:
I was wrong.

I now appreciate more the geopolitical considerations/challenges BD/BAF has in regards to what direction its gonna go with procurement.

Damn the world is a fooked up place.

More important than what Bangladesh buys is it needs to set up a real fighting capability.

Bangladesh CAN NOT rely on outside players for support if India ever invades.

(Which I thought was an impossibility, but not so sure anymore)

Bangladesh does need to balance the US and China for as long as it can.

And procurement from China DOES need to be part of the military equation.

I think BAF should go European and Chinese and maintain as much as a neutral stance as possible in the coming tensions between the US and China.

Also I encourage you guys to watch the whole video and reflect on his worldview and how it pertains to lesser states like Bangladesh.

Also: Note the date of the talk.

I think an Indian invasion of BD is an almost zero possibility.

India itself is a fragile state and they would be signing their own death warrant by trying to invade and occupy BD.

There are no excuses for BAL/BAF - BD needs to buy a European fighter like Typhoon and follow this up with some J-10CEs from China.

The money should be available for 2 squadrons of each fighter as BD exports 5 billion US dollars per month now!

India itself is a fragile state and they would be signing their own death warrant by trying to invade and occupy BD.

There are no excuses for BAL/BAF - BD needs to buy a European fighter like Typhoon and follow this up with some J-10CEs from China.

The money should be available for 2 squadrons of each fighter as BD exports 5 billion US dollars per month now!

I agree.... chinese fighter is given as our respective strategic outlook are in alignment. As china becomes more powerful so will our alignment more pronounced.

However we are still living in a unipolar world and can not ignore US. Western tec is still the best.... EFT/F15 are the natural duel engine jet of choice.... we need to pick one and just go with it....

Given the lack of geographical strategic depth, ballistic and cruise missile capabilities are more crucial for BD than even fighter jets.

We need a land-sea-air triad of long range missile launch capabilities. This will gurantee a devastating retaliation no matter how hard the enemy strikes and therefore discourage the enemy, no matter how powerful, from attacking BD. For example, even if IAF manages to obliterate all our key land based assets and installations, BN can still retalliate with ship and submarine launched land attack cruise/ballistic missiles.

Last edited:
Given the lack of geographical strategic depth, ballistic and cruise missile capabilities are more crucial for BD than even fighter jets.

We need a land-sea-air triad of long range missile launch capabilities. This will gurantee a devastating retaliation no matter how hard the enemy strikes and therefore discourage the enemy, no matter how powerful, from attacking BD. For example, even if IAF manages to obliterate all our key land based assets and installations, BN can still retalliate with ship and submarine launched land attack cruise/ballistic missiles.
I am totally in agreement with this. If we have a SAM arsenal we wont start at the backfoot. Offense is the greatest defense and sams will give the strategic gap that we lack.

I am totally in agreement with this. If we have a SAM arsenal we wont start at the backfoot. Offense is the greatest defense and sams will give the strategic gap that we lack.

The idea is not just to have SAMs which are hard to position and maneuver, but agile point defense with mini missiles which are affordable and can be given to every trained army person to operate, like the Taliban were trained with stingers.

Every Bangladeshi Airbase & Naval bases, every major infra point like major bridges, ports and other Army command facilities have to have a battery of SAMs as well as MANPAD armies protecting it, networked so that they find out about impending attacks before these happen. Along with these of course drones like Bayraktar TB2s.

We now produce our own short range MANPADs. These will have to be indigenized to the level where they cost less than even imports from China, without sacrificing effectiveness and reliability.

Brazil Cruise Missile should be the option, BD can also use UCAV instead.

Yup ukraine thought the same in 1990s

India chanceof invading bengaldesh are indeed zero because bengaldesh is a key alley
Acquiring any such weapons will irk india. I would rather not do so

The idea is not just to have SAMs which are hard to position and maneuver, but agile point defense with mini missiles which are affordable and can be given to every trained army person to operate, like the Taliban were trained with stingers.

Every Bangladeshi Airbase & Naval bases, every major infra point like major bridges, ports and other Army command facilities have to have a battery of SAMs as well as MANPAD armies protecting it, networked so that they find out about impending attacks before these happen. Along with these of course drones like Bayraktar TB2s.

We now produce our own short range MANPADs. These will have to be indigenized to the level where they cost less than even imports from China, without sacrificing effectiveness and reliability.

Whilst for point defense i agree with your point, i would concentrate on medium to long range sams. If the enemy knows that action would be answered with sam attack from BD they will think twice about attacking.

From my perspective it is a failure on our part to be fighting in our soil at a point of first engagement. Even with a defensive posture we must fight in the enemies soil to exert pressure, break their logistics and win the war.

Back
Top Bottom