What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

5th generation fighters are thoroughly overrated and overpriced. The stealth factor will evaporate in a decade or so due to rapid advancements in ground radar tech.

Watch the Vox documentary on F-35s.

BAF would be left with unnecessarily complicated fighters with a number of compromises to accommodate so-called "stealth".

BAF will be much better off investing heavily in 4++ gen fighters and then jumping straight onto supersonic UCAVs which will be a reality by 2050.

Two things:

1. Fighter and AEW radars are more important when detecting other aircraft. Even in a decade they will not be able to detect stealth aircraft at anywhere near the range of other aircraft.

2. EW systems on aircraft can trick ground radars to not see them that easily and 5th gen fighters have the most advanced systems naturally.

There is a reason why USA(two planes and 6th gen now in development), China(one plane, one project and a 6th gen already in development) and Europe(two projects of 5/6 gen in development) are investing so much in this area. I think they know a bit more than some documentary maker.

KF21/IFX is planned to have wingman STEALTH drone so basically one fighter can potentialy launch a lot of missile and bomb if it is realized. It is also fit with AESA radar capability that can target many enemy planes in one go.

The experience in developing KF21/IFX is essential to build Wingman STEALTH drone with IWB.

At least it needs 10 year of development to make MALE UCAV that is also happen with Indonesia MALE UCAV program and I propose Indonesia to make STEALTH UCAV wingman as soon as KF21/IFX completes its development in 2026 inshaAllah. It also include developing mission system, flight control system, and other electronics stuff.

You need to start now if wanting to develop any fighter drone in the future, starting from small scale UAV. Malaysia and Singapore despite having an aerospace company and budget (particularly Singapore) still dont have any MALE UCAV/UAV program until now. It needs steps and experience.

KF 21/IFX price is set at 65 milliion USD and by calculating inflation, so in 2028 it will be likely around 70-75 million USD inshaAllah.

I guess I agree , Indonesia, Bangladesh and maybe even Turkey should work together on the MALE Stealth UCAV since Turkey has the drone knowledge and experience in both manufacturing and in combat.

Looking forward I guess Bangladesh Aerospace needs to start now researching about drones and start to manufacture them indigenously.
Two things:

1. Fighter and AEW radars are more important when detecting other aircraft. Even in a decade they will not be able to detect stealth aircraft at anywhere near the range of other aircraft.

2. EW systems on aircraft can trick ground radars to not see them that easily and 5th gen fighters have the most advanced systems naturally.

There is a reason why USA(two planes and 6th gen now in development), China(one plane, one project and a 6th gen already in development) and Europe(two projects of 5/6 gen in development) are investing so much in this area. I think they know a bit more than some documentary maker.

Well if that's the case lets go get the TFX or the KFX if needed by 2030+ , I think 4++ gen will do since not even India will get 5th gen by then and not Myanmar for sure.

Well if that's the case lets go get the TFX or the KFX if needed by 2030+ , I think 4++ gen will do since not even India will get 5th gen by then and not Myanmar for sure.

KFX is an aircraft that will use US engines and Korea is heavily US influenced. We saw with Corona virus travel restrictions just how much favouritism India got over BD in closing their border much later to Indian arrivals than BD.

TFX will not probably be ready for export till the mid-2030s and there is a massive question mark over the engines. It will either fly with 5th gen UK engines or 4th -gen Turkish engines.

Only China can reliably build a 5th gen fighter as it already operates the J-20 and can supply BD in times of war if it wanted to. Turkey may try but will not be able to get past the IN blockade.

J-35 latter part of this decade and TF-X if it succeeds in the 2030s. No need to even think about KFX as it has too many downsides, main one being that you may as well buy F-35 from US if that was on offer.

Last edited:
KFX is an aircraft that will use US engines and Korea is heavily US influenced. We saw with Corona virus travel restrictions just how much favouratism India got over BD in closing their border much later to Indian arrivals than BD.

TFX will not probably be ready for export till the mid-2030s and there is a massive question mark over the engines. It will either fly with 5th gen UK engines or 4th -gen Turkish engines.

Only China can reliably build a 5th gen fighter as it already operates the J-20 and can supply BD in times of war if it wanted to. Turkey may try but will not be able to get past the IN blockade.

J-35 latter part of this decade and TF-X if it succeeds in the 2030s. No need to even think about KFX as it has too many downsides, main one being that you may as well buy F-35 from US if that was on offer.

The thing is that you trust China aka a nation who funds both sides , that same jet can be bought by Myanmar and Chinese jet engines aren't even stealth lol so defeats their whole purpose of the J-20 or even J-35.

Turkey will be probably flying with the 5th gen engine since why would they even consider putting their 4th gen engine unless the Brits block it but I'm sure they won't hopefully.

The thing is that you trust China aka a nation who funds both sides , that same jet can be bought by Myanmar and Chinese jet engines aren't even stealth lol so defeats their whole purpose of the J-20 or even J-35.

Turkey will be probably flying with the 5th gen engine since why would they even consider putting their 4th gen engine unless the Brits block it but I'm sure they won't hopefully.

J-35 for India. Not for Myanmar.

Chinese are developing a 5th gen (11:1 T/W ratio engine) for J-35 and that should be ready by end of this decade when the aircraft will probably be available.

China is developing its military tech faster than anyone else and their weapons will just get better with time.

BAF can buy TF-X for Myanmar and that will also be useful against India.

Plan should be as follows in order:

1. 2-3 squadrons Western 4+ gen(up to 2030)
2. 2-3 squadrons Chinese J-35. ( 2025 -2035)
3. 2-3 squadrons of TF-X(2035-2040)

The aircraft should realistically be available at these times and BD will most probably be able to afford them at these timescales as well.

KF-X and J-10Cs are distractions from creating an effective airforce with the most secure suppliers as possible.

Last edited:
J-35 for India. Not for Myanmar.

Chinese are developing a 5th gen (11:1 T/W ratio engine) for J-35 and that should be ready by end of this decade when the aircraft will probably be available.

China is develoiping its military tech faster than anyone else and their weapons will just get better with time.

BAF can buy TF-X for Myanmar and that will also be useful against India.

Plan should be as follows in order:

1. 2-3 squadrons Western 4+ gen(up to 2030)
2. 2-3 squadrons Chinese J-35. ( 2025 -2035)
3. 2-3 squadrons of TF-X(2035-2040)

The aircraft should realistically be available at these times and BD will most probably be able to afford them at these timescales.

KF-X and J-10Cs are distractions from creating an effective airforce with the most secure suppliers as possible.

Unless the BAF leadership changes , I don't even expect more than 1 squadron of EFT let alone 2-3 squadrons of J-35 or even TFX :rofl:

What about AWACS or EW ? or even a Layered SAM network ? Without these , Fighters are useless

Unless the BAF leadership changes , I don't even expect more than 1 squadron of EFT let alone 2-3 squadrons of J-35 or even TFX :rofl:

What about AWACS or EW ? or even a Layered SAM network ? Without these , Fighters are useless

What you say is probably true as regards BAF at this time but my timeline runs to 2040 and so you never know.:p:

Yes comprehensive MRSAM network needs to come in before the Western 4+ gen jets arrive. 1 billion US dollars will be well spent.

As regards AWACs I really like the Swedish Global Eye which has 450km range against non-stealth fighter aircraft and 12 hour endurance. 3-4 of these would be ideal for BD and would provide coverage for the whole of BD and the surrounding Bay of Bengal

What you say is probably true as regards BAF at this time but my timeline runs to 2040 and so you never know.:p:

Yes comprehensive MRSAM network needs to come in before the Western 4+ gen jets arrive. 1 billion US dollars will be well spent.

As regards AWACs I really like the Swedish Global Eye which has 450km range against non-stealth fighter aircraft and 12 hour endurance. 3-4 of these would be ideal for BD and would provide coverage for the whole of BD and the surrounding Bay of Bengal

Yes the Swedish Global Eye is a MUST , but yes I think personally BAF will be FORCED to change just like how Bangladesh will be FORCED to industrialize due to the rise of A.I.

No matter what we say all routes point towards Bangladesh eventually waking up and taking development seriously

or

Bangladesh failing and getting sunk by the sea

If this was a game I can't stress this enough Industrialization is the next level Bangladesh must unlock if it want's to go ahead.

Yes the Swedish Global Eye is a MUST , but yes I think personally BAF will be FORCED to change just like how Bangladesh will be FORCED to industrialize due to the rise of A.I.

No matter what we say all routes point towards Bangladesh eventually waking up and taking development seriously

or

Bangladesh failing and getting sunk by the sea

If this was a game I can't stress this enough Industrialization is the next level Bangladesh must unlock if it want's to go ahead.

I am holding onto some hope as 4 Mig-29s have already been upgraded and the other 4 are now in the process of being from what I have seen and read.

It would be amazing if by 2030 BAF somehow managed to not have in service 2-3 squadrons of 4+ gen jets. It may seem this could easily happen as of now but once BAF buys its first squadron then more will naturally follow much easier, as it would have the infrastructure and supplier relationship already establised and as BD economy keeps growing the government can supply the funding.

Those who think there is Indian pressure are wrong as India has far more to fear from the 18 Turkish TRG-300 MLRS(120 km range) that have started to arrive in BD than a few squadrons of fighter aircraft.

The below system can within minutes destroy a surrounding IAF base or cripple Kolkata port while hidden 10s of kms within BD.

1620642406167.png

Last edited:
I am holding onto some hope as 4 Mig-29s have already been upgraded and the other 4 are now in the process of being from what I have seen and read.

It would be amazing if by 2030 BAF somehow managed to not have in service 2-3 squadrons of 4+ gen jets. It may seem this could easily happen as of now but once BAF buys its first squadron then more will naturally follow much easier, as it would have the infrastructure and supplier relationship already establised and as BD economy keeps growing the government can supply the funding.

Those who think there is Indian pressure are wrong as India has far more to fear from the 18 Turkish TRG-300 MLRS(120 km range) that have started to arrive in BD than a few squadrons of fighter aircraft.

The below system can within minutes destroy a surrounding IAF base or cripple Kolkata airport while hidden 10s of kms within BD.

View attachment 742327

True , I try to keep hope with the BAF but I guess this year or next definitely we will hear about the MRCA deal for sure.

True , I try to keep hope with the BAF but I guess this year or next definitely we will hear about the MRCA deal for sure.

Not only BAF, even Indonesia and Malaysia are still not sure about their MRCA program. These three countries are very economic centric and with Covid is still happening, I suspect these three countries will not buy any new fighter until 2024.

I still remember this image where our BAF officers or pilots went to visit the EFT lol
images.jpg

Not only BAF, even Indonesia and Malaysia are still not sure about their MRCA program. These three countries are very economic centric and with Covid is still happening, I suspect these three countries will not buy any new fighter until 2024.

Yeah I agree , at least you guys have F-16s and upcoming KFX while we have nothing

It will be cost effective to wait either KF 21 or J 35 to be mass produced since both are newer generation and much cheaper than Western nation fighters. KF 21 belly is modular that could potentially be upgraded into IWB version that is planned to be developed. This will make the fighters can be useful even for beyond 2040 threat

It will be cost effective to wait either KF 21 or J 35 to be mass produced since both are newer generation and much cheaper than Western nation fighters

Problem is BD needs something now and cannot wait till 2030. It only has 8 somewhat modern Mig-29s but these are not that good as the technology level is probably 1990s Western.

1-2 squadrons of Western 4+ gen fighters are needed this decade on an urgent basis.

As long as BD's economy grows as expected till 2035(forecast at 7%+) then BD can buy a mix of different fighters over the next 1-2 decades.

I still remember this image where our BAF officers or pilots went to visit the EFT lol
View attachment 742331

Yeah I agree , at least you guys have F-16s and upcoming KFX while we have nothing
Problem is BD needs something now and cannot wait till 2030. It only has 8 somewhat modern Mig-29s but these are not that good as the technology level is probably 1990s Western.

1-2 squadrons of Western 4+ gen fighters are needed this decade on an urgent basis.

As long as BD's economy grows as expected till 2035(forecast at 7%+) then BD can buy a mix of different fighters over the next 1-2 decades.

As you dont have any problem buying J 35, so why dont buy JF 17 block 2 from Pakistan ......

Both also has similar engine

Back
Top Bottom