What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Mostly due to the engine and volume issue. More orders and indigenous engines should reduce cost. I heard the engine development has made some progress

I wonder why Bangladesh isn't getting any K-2 Black Panter MBTs from Korea ?
We need to be realistic and not talk things up.

BD armed forces are more or less complete cowards. They do not have the back bone for any kind of fight as the rohingya debacle proved.

As BD reaches 50 years what do we really make by ourselves.... we are not even self sufficient in small arms.... the machine tool factory of BD army at best produces a few things of 70s tech.

At the end of the day the defense forces must have concrete threat preception and then a plan to mitigate that threat. BA just a few years ago announced it does not consider india a threat and it has proved on the ground it wont fight the burmese.

Let us not lionise our forces, they really have not done anything at all in their history to deserve much respect. Technical innovation wont come from these guys, if GOB opens up defense sector to private companies we may see some movement but otherwise i am afraid the proposition is totally unrealistic.

True , Bangladesh needs to wake up and start making it's own weapons to it's own engines. We should first start making small arms like handguns to rifles.

If Israel can do it why tf can't we ? Just like Israel we're surrounded by hostile neighbors

We really need to step up our game , I don't care how much it costs

Warfare is changing... in the new reality of surveillance, loitering and attack drones platforms such as helios and tanks i believe will soon be things of the past. They are just too slow.
We are talking about Bangladesh Armed Forces here who still use toasters to scan and upload Request for Tender documents and have not heard of Acrobat DC. I don't expect them to achieve something technological that even the US military have not achieved.

They are still buying new tanks. Anyone who has studied modern wars that took place in our land knows how useless tanks are.

We are talking about Bangladesh Armed Forces here who still use toasters to scan and upload Request for Tender documents and have not heard of Acrobat DC. I don't expect them to achieve something technological that even the US military have not achieved.

They are still buying new tanks. Anyone who has studied modern wars that took place in our land knows how useless tanks are.

Tanks have their place as part of a balanced arsenal.

BD needs a few hundred modern tanks in case of any problems with India in the NW sector that is tank country. No amount of UAVs and attack helicopters can replace having that 50-60 ton armoured vehicle that can fire 6-12 shells a minute 3-4km away to knock out enemy armoured vehicles.

Anyway the latest tanks that BD has purchased is the 30-35 tonne Chinese Type-15 Tank that is ideal to navigate the delta that is BD.

Let us not put BA and BN down to the level of BAF here.

Last edited:
Tanks have their place as part of a balanced arsenal.

BD needs a few hundred modern tanks in case of any problems with India in the NW sector that is tank country. No amount of UAVs and attack helicopters can replace having that 50-60 ton armoured vehicle that can fire 6-12 shells a minute 3-4km away to knock out enemy armoured vehicles.

Anyway the latest tanks that BD has purchased is the 30-35 tonne Chinese Type-15 Tank that is ideal to navigate the delta that is BD.

Let us not put BA and BN down to the level of BAF here.
Enemy tanks can be easily taken out by land and airborne ATGMs and guided artillery.

BD already has more than enough tanks to defend NW. All they need is back up by artillery and air support.

If the APS system is really effective, tank will still have much relevant on modern warfare.

Enemy tanks can be easily taken out by land and airborne ATGMs and guided artillery.

BD already has more than enough tanks to defend NW. All they need is back up by artillery and air support.

As for NW, BD already has the numbers for sure and that is why I said it needs a few hundred heavy tanks for this sector and it was not a reference to any current lack of numbers. These tanks can be supported by UAVs and attack helicopters in any confrontation with India.

There is a reason no major military is thinking of phasing them out altogether.

The US is designing the successor to the Abrams tank right now

Yes the world does not need as many tanks as in the past, but in small numbers they serve a very useful role that cannot be totally replaced by other platforms.

BA should reduce it's heavy tank platforms to 2-3 hundred modern tanks for the NW sector and then add numbers to the Chinese tank order so it has around 2-300 light tanks for the rest of the country.

As for NW, BD already has the numbers for sure and that is why I said it needs a few hundred heavy tanks for this sector and it was not a reference to any current lack of numbers. These tanks can be supported by UAVs and attack helicopters in any confrontation with India.

Yes the world does not need as many tanks as in the past, but in small numbers they serve a very useful role that cannot be totally replaced by other platforms.

BA should reduce it's heavy tank platforms to 2-3 hundred modern tanks for the NW sector and then add numbers to the Chinese tank order so it has around 2-300 light tanks for the rest of the country.

I'd rather replace our MBT-2000s with K-2s lol

If the APS system is really effective, tank will still have much relevant on modern warfare.
APS might save lives but can't save from immobilisation. The infantry would then get tied up in defensive manoeuvres to protect these useless multimillion dollar white elephants. Bangladesh is mostly untankable and therefore any spending on tanks should be deprioritised. We have way too many critical deficiencies to address. Spending money on tanks is taking funding away from those areas.

I agree with your assessment. Given that there is limited use for tanks in BD, we should not prioritise Armour modernisation over other aspects.

In the event of a war with India, a lot of other assets (fighter jets, artillery, etc.) would have to be deployed before a tank battle ensues.
India would not be foolish enough to invade BD before pounding all our fancy assets to smithereens.

Last edited:
APS might save lives but can't save from immobilisation. Infantry will then get tied up in defensive manoeuvres to protect these useless white elephants. Bangladesh is mostly untankable and therefore any spending on tanks should be deprioritised. We have way too many critical deficiencies to address. Spending money on tanks is taking funding away from those areas.

I agree with your assessment. Given that there is limited use for tanks in BD, we should not prioritise Armour modernisation over other aspects.

In the event of a war with India, a lot of other assets (fighter jets, artillery, etc.) would have to be deployed before a tank battle ensuses.

Are you forgetting about the Navy ? We can't lose our waters lol

Are you forgetting about the Navy ? We can't lose our waters lol
My assessment was focused on a battle concentrated at the NW frontier but you are right in that navy modernisation warrants precedence over procuring more heavy, slow, useless pieces of junk.

You tell me, should we spend money expediting the indigenous frigate program that will help project power over BoB or buying obsolete crap that will likely never see war?

My assessment was focused on a battle concentrated at the NW frontier but you are right in that navy modernisation warrants precedence over procuring more heavy, slow, useless pieces of junk.

You tell me, should we spend money expediting the indigenous frigate program that will help project power over BoB or buying obsolete crap that will likely never see war?

Yeah lol , Light tanks are good enough but maybe we can get better APCs then the Btr-82a.

And for the Navy Bangladesh needs a lot of subs along with frigates and maybe 2-4 destroyers and a carrier way into the future to truly be a blue water navy.

Yeah lol , Light tanks are good enough but maybe we can get better APCs then the Btr-82a.

And for the Navy Bangladesh needs a lot of subs along with frigates and maybe 2-4 destroyers and a carrier way into the future to truly be a blue water navy.

We need lots of subs.... but a carrier battle group for what... they are very much a slow moving target.. very very expensive to maintain... we in my opinion do not need that nor can we efford it and nor is it a best use of resources ... we need to nimble and deadly.... 6-8 proper subs and 10-12 mini subs backed up by landbased sams covering the whole of the bay and beyond onto international shipping lines will ensure no blocade is envisaged by anyone... infact i am probably overestimating the numbers 4 subs and 8 mini subs probably will do the job fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom