What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

BAL has been in power for 12 years now

It is time to stop blaming BNP, Zia etc and look at who has been power for over a decade and the airspace of BD is completely undefended at this time. They are so useless they have not even inducted a single battery of MRSAM.
Bro 4 billion is just not enough we have to accept this. Minimum 2% should be spent on defense

Bro 4 billion is just not enough we have to accept this. Minimum 2% should be spent on defense

A battery of LY-60 medium-range SAM costs 80 million US dollars. The yearly defence budget is 4,100 million US dollars

We can make all the excuses for AL but at the end of the day they are not meeting the minimum defence needs of BD.

Forget India, BD will be bombed mercilessly by MAF and the country economically and militarily crippled by a much smaller country in 2-3 weeks. BN and BAF would be totally annihilated by MAF airpower. Only BA would be left somewhat intact.

Last edited:
Myanmar spent like crazy started from 1990 until 2009

A battery of LY-60 medium-range SAM costs 80 million US dollars. The yearly defence budget is 4,000 million US dollars

We can make all the excuses for AL but at the end of the day they are not meeting the minimum defence needs of BD.

Forget India, BD will be bombed mercilessly by MAF and the country economically and militarily crippled by a much smaller country in 2-3 weeks. BN and BAF would be totally annihilated by MAF airpower. Only BA would be left somewhat intact.
You are correct in that BAL is ultimately responsible for the deficiencies in defence as they had enough time to sort BAF.

A battery of LY-60 medium-range SAM costs 80 million US dollars. The yearly defence budget is 4,000 million US dollars

Like I said, that’s exactly what’s needed for us to wake up.
Myanmar spent like crazy started from 1990 until 2009

Damn didn’t knew they reduced it down to 2 billion

The airframe of Yak-130 is similar to M-346 , so it could have similar flight characteristics.
I don't really know whether Leonardo would make any modifications to the software/ fly-by-wire for us.

Yak-130 is programmable to simulate Western aircraft. Even if Yak-130s cannot be programmed for EFT for some reason, the pilots would have to undergo operational conversion on dual seat EFTs anyway.

An AJT qualified pilot should not have much trouble converting to EFT.

Last edited:
Yak-130 is programmable to simulate Western aircraft. Even if Yak-130s cannot be programmed for EFT for some reason, the pilots would have to undergo operational conversion on dual seat EFTs anyway.

An AJT qualified pilot should not have much trouble converting to EFT.
I just hope we don’t get dual seats
Instead it’s better to swap out yak electronics for the Italian variety if necessary

BAF does not need Gripen, Rafael or EFT.

IMO Bangladesh air force is being Delusional and following the footstep of India.....thinking that new Fighter is a necessity.

What the BAF needs to do is to stop getting into complex and have a proper threat assessment and consultation done.

There are a couple of political factors as well but not getting into that, BAF is better of with fighter trainers and there are plenty proven safe and robust options.

BAF does not need Gripen, Rafael or EFT.

IMO Bangladesh air force is being Delusional and following the footstep of India.....thinking that new Fighter is a necessity.

What the BAF needs to do is to stop getting into complex and have a proper threat assessment and consultation done.

There are a couple of political factors as well but not getting into that, BAF is better of with fighter trainers and there are plenty proven safe and robust options.

I agree with you regarding threat assessment is the need of the hour. Perhaps it has been done and BAF has concluded we do not need an effective air force. If that is the case they should vocalise it. Perhaps BDs sovereignty is best maintained through economic prosperity and tight embrace of the global economy. It has worked for germany and Japan post WW2.

But I disagree that we do not need fighters in numbers. Our region is unpredictable and we are surrounded by dysfunctional fascist hedgemonistic states. We need a stong defense to guarantee our position.

I agree with you regarding threat assessment is the need of the hour. Perhaps it has been done and BAF has concluded we do not need an effective air force. If that is the case they should vocalise it. Perhaps BDs sovereignty is best maintained through economic prosperity and tight embrace of the global economy. It has worked for germany and Japan post WW2.

But I disagree that we do not need fighters in numbers. Our region is unpredictable and we are surrounded by dysfunctional fascist hedgemonistic states. We need a stong defense to guarantee our position.
we need something that doesn't break the bank, has high sortie rates (to make up for any quantitative advantage of the opponent).
Two possible candidates stand out
1. J-10CE
2. Gripen

We could field the J-10 in numbers and as a back up from western sanctions (Human rights etc) and have MRO facilities.
The gripen is a no-brainer (BAF wasting time evaluating other western stuff),
Gripen could be used for maritime strike. And J-10C could be tasked with interception and QRA duties.

Only issue I see is the limited range of both aircraft, do we really need double engine ''deep strike'' fighter though?

Back
Top Bottom