What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Not sure on the wisdom of BAF purchasing Tranche 1 Typhoons and then equipping them with US weapons as then BD would be under US eco-system very much. It would be paying the same "life-cycle" costs as if it potentially approached the US for F-16Vs, which may be approved and that probably would be a better fighter due to the latest US AESA radar and other electronics.

If BD was to go down the Typhoon route, not only does it need the latest Tranche but it also needs to purchase EU arms(ASRAAM and Meteor AAMs) as then it would be free of US domination.

Excellent points.

Not sure on the wisdom of BAF purchasing Tranche 1 Typhoons and then equipping them with US weapons as then BD would be under US eco-system very much. It would be paying the same "life-cycle" costs as if it potentially approached the US for F-16Vs, which may be approved and that probably would be a better fighter due to the latest US AESA radar and other electronics.

If BD was to go down the Typhoon route, not only does it need the latest Tranche but it also needs to purchase EU arms(ASRAAM and Meteor AAMs) as then it would be free of US domination.

Tranche 1 typhoon was designed to counter soviet threat in the 80's as interceptors.

Later tranche of typhoons were designed to be multirole.

If UK did make an offer and stated multirole then trance 1 is not in play here in my opinion.

However typhoons even trance 1 would be better than anything from the russians or the chinese in my opinion. BAF should go for it.

Tranche 1 typhoon was designed to counter soviet threat in the 80's as interceptors.

Later tranche of typhoons were designed to be multirole.

If UK did make an offer and stated multirole then trance 1 is not in play here in my opinion.

However typhoons even trance 1 would be better than anything from the russians or the chinese in my opinion. BAF should go for it.

Tranche 1 typhoons may not be that much superior to MAF Block 2 JF-17s and will be outgunned if the savages buy Block 3 later on. Also it will not be able to integrate the EU Meteor BVRAAM and so you end up going back into the arms of the US for the AMRAAM BVR missile. In this case may as well go to the US for F-16s.

Tranche 1 typhoons may not be that much superior to MAF Block 2 JF-17s and will be outgunned if the savages buy Block 3 later on. Also it will not be able to integrate the EU Meteor BVRAAM and so you end up going back into the arms of the US for the AMRAAM BVR missile. In this case may as well go to the US for F-16s.

I get your point. In my assessment and i will admit I am no professional but in my opinion tranche 1 tornado updated for sale today would be better than any version of the JF17.

Tranche 1 designed for speed and to fly low (pre stealth days) to get into russian airspace and engage before the russian fleet managed to cross the barents sea.

Tornadoes is some respect perfect. I agree regarding the armaments. If we are going to rely on US maybe go fully US.

My personal prefernce would be to buy the tornadoes with full complement of british weaponry. One source would be easier to manage.

I get your point. In my assessment and i will admit I am no professional but in my opinion tranche 1 tornado updated for sale today would be better than any version of the JF17.

Tranche 1 designed for speed and to fly low (pre stealth days) to get into russian airspace and engage before the russian fleet managed to cross the barents sea.

Tornadoes is some respect perfect. I agree regarding the armaments. If we are going to rely on US maybe go fully US.

My personal prefernce would be to buy the tornadoes with full complement of british weaponry. One source would be easier to manage.

Eh.

I think you have some things confused.

We're talking about Typhoons.

Tornados are out of the question.

Also, given all things, I think a country like Bangladesh would do well with 2 to 3 squadrons of a multirole type like the F-16 or Gripen coupled with Eireye or the like.

A second type could also be bought ideally i.e. J-10, really for diversity's sake.

I think as @UKBengali has stated, the plans to go Russian or Chinese has been altered somewhat with recent events and Western options are being entertained which is causing an unanticipated delay.

However, if this is the case, then its a blessing in disguise IMO.

Ahhhh....Tornados?

When did BAF have ANY exposure to Tornados?

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Tornado production line is closed since long.

Exactly.

Also doesn't fit the mission.

Unless your talking the maritime strike mission like the German Navy (IDS version) carries out with theirs.

Even then, Tornados are long out of production and would likely be very expensive to operate and maintain.

And ADV versions are just not appropriate for Bangaldesh given what they were designed to do.

Eh.

I think you have some things confused.

We're talking about Typhoons.

Tornados are out of the question.

Also, given all things, I think a country like Bangladesh would do well with 2 to 3 squadrons of a multirole type like the F-16 or Gripen coupled with Eireye or the like.

A second type could also be bought ideally i.e. J-10, really for diversity's sake.

I think as @UKBengali has stated, the plans to go Russian or Chinese has been altered somewhat with recent events and Western options are being entertained which is causing an unanticipated delay.

However, if this is the case, then its a blessing in disguise IMO.

Apologies you are correct. I miswrote tornado rather than typhoon.

Tornado yes.....had a long and glorious service but no longer fit for purpose for any air force.

That was a tempest......imagine those in BD colours..... forelorn hope i know....

https://airforcesmonthly.keypublish...n-eurofighter-proposal-submitted-to-bulgaria/

https://dsm.forecastinternational.c...needed-to-keep-line-open-into-the-late-2020s/

In reference to the UK helping with MRCA requirement of BAF.

Apparently Italian Tranche 1 are also available as per this offer to Bulgaria for 8 examples.

Of course Bulgaria went for the Block 70/72 instead.

But yea, it looks like Tranche 1, either from UK or Italy are available.

At the very least, the air to air mission for the BAF would be helped by such an acquistion.
were you the one who was talking about limited upgrade potential of the tranche 1 systems and their higher maintenance cost? read someone talking about it don't remember when and where

good points

Back
Top Bottom