What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

BD has started Indigenous arms production as it knows it can only rely on itself in times of war - Turkey(only country who would try to help BD for sure) may not be able to assist as it may not be able to airlift/sealift supplies in case of say war with India.
BN recognises this danger and is building an extremely capable Navy based around 8 next-gen frigates to try to keep it's vital sea lanes open in this case.

BD has started the process of indigenisation in a big way now - China is the major supplier of ToT for the BD home arms industry.

What?

Please tell me about this process of indiginisation.

For an encore please inform me of the BD arms industry as well.

You must be smoking some good sh$t.

What?

Please tell me about this process of indiginisation.

For an encore please inform me of the BD arms industry as well.

You must be smoking some good sh$t.

Please learn to research before commenting.
Examples are FN-16 Manpads, Durjoy class LPCs and looking for partner for next-gen frigate to be built in BD. There is lots of other things happening as well.
Process has started but will of course take many decades to complete.

BD has started Indigenous arms production as it knows it can only rely on itself in times of war - Turkey(only country who would try to help BD for sure) may not be able to assist as it may not be able to airlift/sealift supplies in case of say war with India.
BN recognises this danger and is building an extremely capable Navy based around 8 next-gen frigates to try to keep it's vital sea lanes open in this case.

BD has started the process of indigenisation in a big way now - China is the major supplier of ToT for the BD home arms industry.

As long as Hasina is in power there will be no war with India and if she plays her cards well BD might be highly dependent on India by the time any opposition is able to take over. Regardless of geopolitics, the extent to which BD's arms industries will be producing weapons will not be quantitatively and qualitatively sufficient to take on India. The asymmetry between the two countries' armed forces is just too wide for BD to narrow down, even in the long run. BD's symmetrical rival is Myanmar. My knowledge of Myanmar's armed forces is quite meager, for that matter also of BD's armed forces, but from what it appears BD can pose challenges to them except maybe in the air power where Myanmar has taken a quick leap ahead. Even in their current composition Myanmar Air Force seems quite ahead in numbers. In the next five to eight years time if they are able to acquire all of their JF-17s and Su-30s they can inflict heavy damage to BD's armed forces in the case of near term war. Something that BD should also factor in is that Myanmar's pilots might be getting training from Chinese, Russian, and Pakistani air forces, thus diversifying the ways of operations and tactics. In that case, BAF not only needs to factor in the technology & supplier when evaluating potential fighter aircraft but also operational and tactical training package as well.

Last edited:
As long as Hasina is in power there will be no war with India and if she plays her cards well BD might be highly dependent on India by the time any opposition is able to take over. Regardless of geopolitics, the extent to which BD's arms industries will be producing weapons will not be quantitatively and qualitatively sufficient to take on India. The asymmetry between the two countries' armed forces is just too wide for BD to narrow down, even in the long run. BD's symmetrical rival is Myanmar. My knowledge of Myanmar's armed forces is quite meager, for that matter also of BD's armed forces, but from what it appears BD can pose challenges to them except maybe in the air power where Myanmar has taken a quick leap ahead. Even in their current composition Myanmar Air Force seems quite ahead in numbers. In the next five to eight years time if they are able to acquire all of their JF-17s and Su-30s they can inflict high damage to BD's armed forces in the case of near term war. Something that BD should also factor in is that Myanmar's pilots might be getting training from Chinese, Russian, and Pakistani air forces, thus diversifying the ways of operations and tactics. In that case, BAF not only needs to factor in the technology & supplier when evaluating potential fighter aircraft but also operational and tactical training package as well.

Even BAF in next 5 years will get 2-3 squadrons of high performance fighters. Remember that BAF knows how to fly 4th gen fighters as it has had 8 Mig-29s since 2001.
BN and BA are superior to their Myanmar counterparts.

I think you are overestimating the damage that MAF can do to BA and BN as both are armed with highly effective SAMs - MAF can do damage to BD infrastructure and civilian shipping for sure.

Please learn to research before commenting.
Examples are FN-16 Manpads, Durjoy class LPCs and looking for partner for next-gen frigate to be built in BD. There is lots of other things happening as well.
Process has started but will of course take many decades to complete.

BD will be depenedant on others for her defence for the foreseeable future.

Putting things together in a factory is a far cry from thinking about, designing and then manufacturing in quantiites what a nation needs.

BD has bigger fish to fry in terms of where to allocate her LIMITED resources.

So talk like that where it makes it seem BD has any ability to chart an independant course is foolish.

Case in point.

Its 2019, and there STILL hasnt been anything tangible in the BAF procurement of 4+ gen fighters.

They can't even effectively BUY planes.

What makes you think BD can design and manufacture them?

I will say, of course you have to start somewhere.

Build more schools.

Get the local population more educated at least on a basic level.

And improve the quantity and quality of higher education.

These are the building blocks to progress in a nation.

Despite what some irrelevant people say here, Bengalis are intellectually very capable.

The real goal is to harness that within the population and utilize it.

For defence matters and everything else.

Last edited:
BD will be depenedant on others for her defence for the foreseeable future.

Putting things together in a factory is a far cry from thinking about, designing and then manufacturing in quantiites what a nation needs.

BD has bigger fish to fry in terms of where to allocate her LIMITED resources.

So talk like that where it makes it seem BD has any ability to chart an independant course is foolish.

Case in point.

Its 2019, and there STILL hasnt been anything tangible in the BAF procurement of 4+ gen fighters.

They can't even effectively BUY planes.

What makes you think BD can design and manufacture them?

I will say, of course you have to start somewhere.

Build more schools.

Get the local population more educated.

These are the building blocks to progress in a nation.

Like I say process will take decades.

Schools are not really the issue as nearly every child gets a
decent education in the stem subjects(maths, science) now but better higher education as BD lacks knowledge in this sector. The best way to get this is to sponsor many bright students to go overseas into elite institutions and then get some work experience in the sector in countries like USA and UK. Then they can be lured back to BD to apply their talents in their homeland both in universities and also in industry.

A start is being made with plans to start off with a trainer and then move onto a fighter aircraft.

What BD has going for it is a large population and growing economy- large talent pool and lots of money are required to build an aerospace industry.

Fighter procurement shambles cannot be linked to building an aerospace industry over many decades. There are both budgetary and other things that we do not know about that has caused the BAF to be the pathetic force it is today.

This all needs effective leadership and what I can see is that the government seems serious about this. Better to see the glass as half-full than half-empty. Positivity has a momentum all of it's own.

Like I say process will take decades.

Schools are not really the issue as nearly every child gets a
decent education in the stem subjects(maths, science) now but better higher education as BD lacks knowledge in this sector. The best way to get this is to sponsor many bright students to go overseas into elite institutions and then get some work experience in the sector in countries like USA and UK. Then they can be lured back to BD to apply their talents in their homeland both in universities and also in industry.

A start is being made with plans to start off with a trainer and then move onto a fighter aircraft.

What BD has going for it is a large population and growing economy- large talent pool and lots of money are required to build an aerospace industry.

Fighter procurement shambles cannot be linked to building an aerospace industry over many decades. There are both budgetary and other things that we do not know about that has caused the BAF to be the pathetic force it is today.

This all needs effective leadership and what I can see is that the government seems serious about this. Better to see the glass as half-full than half-empty. Positivity has a momentum all of it's own.

I am a pessimist to be honest.

But there is value in your post.

I hope and pray BD can realize its potential going forward.

Anyways, back to BAF.

Crickets.......

So maybe theres hope for a Western choice?

Is the Russian plan continuing or what?

I am a pessimist to be honest.

But there is value in your post.

I hope and pray BD can realize its potential going forward.

Anyways, back to BAF.

Crickets.......

So maybe theres hope for a Western choice?

Is the Russian plan continuing or what?

I really cannot see BD daring to buy from Russia now - US can hit BD in so many ways and make it very painful.

While I would prefer for BAF to get Gripen E or Gripen C with AESA radar, something tells me that if they go Western then it will be US planes - probably refurbished F-16s. Not really that bad a choice as they would be better than anything Myanmar has.

I really cannot see BD daring to buy from Russia now - US can hit BD in so many ways and make it very painful.

While I would prefer for BAF to get Gripen E or Gripen C with AESA radar, something tells me that if they go Western then it will be US planes - probably refurbished F-16s. Not really that bad a choice as they would be better than anything Myanmar has.

I would be happy with that.

Refurbished F-16 arent a bad choice or Gripen.

Of course, that puts you in the US orbit.

But BD is a benign country without any issues that are opposed to US policy.

Its utility to the US and China are fairly limited anyways.

What I do think BD has to prepare for is an increasingly hostile Myanmar next door.

The only thing these people will understand is military strength.

You are too naive.

Only the ones builded by yourself are immune to pressures.

And don't forget the S-400 deal between Russia and Turkey.

Bangladesh is not going to be building any fighters any time soon.

Bangladesh simply has choices between a limited number of sources.

Of these russian is the best choice but not if it encourages US sanctions. Chinese planes are untested and in a conflict with burma they are likely to be unreliable so i would not want chinese jets at this stage.

BD also can not efford much... leaves only a few western options and off these French comes with least strings.

I would be happy with that.

Refurbished F-16 arent a bad choice or Gripen.

Of course, that puts you in the US orbit.

But BD is a benign country without any issues that are opposed to US policy.

Its utility to the US and China are fairly limited anyways.

What I do think BD has to prepare for is an increasingly hostile Myanmar next door.

The only thing these people will understand is military strength.

I think when US urged BD to buy arms from them, the chances of BD being cleared for Gripen went to pretty much zero.
USA wants to bring BD under it's influence it seems.

Bangladesh is not going to be building any fighters any time soon.

Bangladesh simply has choices between a limited number of sources.

Of these russian is the best choice but not if it encourages US sanctions. Chinese planes are untested and in a conflict with burma they are likely to be unreliable so i would not want chinese jets at this stage.

BD also can not efford much... leaves only a few western options and off these French comes with least strings.

Chinese planes untested?
Tell that to PAF who sent JF-17s to face SU-30MKIs earlier this year.
French planes are extremely expensive to buy and operate.

Stop lying. Pakistan will be the only country to help Bangladesh

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom