What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Major Zaka-ul-Haq.

Are you sure it's the same person? Because on his facebook wall I don't see any comments from friends/relatives etc, which seems a little strange, when something like this happens.

Anyone know the history of successful Rescue Missions saving soldiers history from other countries experiences.

i think Dhruv's have done operations in siachin before.
so we can send there if asked..

4.jpg

2.jpg

and they can carry heavy load too

Sadly, not a practical one.

Actually there's been a lot of talk about this in some circles, and I've been listening in. It all hinged on what practical good we can do. It's been pointed out that for our choppers to be deployed, they would have to fly all the way to the top, to our positions, and then across and down again. In avalanche conditions, it is very dangerous to have heavy choppers chuntering around, and people get testy and irritable if that happens. Secondly, ferrying across second echelon troops might not be a brilliant idea if they do not happen to be the acclimatised set.

It turned out that perhaps the only sensible help we could give would be help that is unfortunately not realistically possible - it would be to re-deploy our front-line troops for search and rescue operations down the slope. Today, with the government weak, and facing charges of mishandling the Army and the Army Chief in particular, nobody in Delhi is going to take THAT decision. Pity.

Frustrating discussion, really...

I read that the incident zone is more accessible from the Pakistani side.
However if India has acclimatized men deployed nearby who have been living in the same condition, its worth trying to utilize them.

I read that the incident zone is more accessible from the Pakistani side.
However if India has acclimatized men deployed nearby who have been living in the same condition, its worth trying to utilize them.

They will have to ascend a mountain and descend into the Pakistani side. That alone should take over a day at fastest. Then there is the case of the unneccesary risk attached with the move. It won't be an attractive offer for those high-up in the IA.

i think Dhruv's have done operations in siachin before.
so we can send there if asked..

4.jpg

2.jpg

and they can carry heavy load too

Its not just about being able to operate there. The main problem is manually scavenging out the people who are buried in the avalanche, and helicopters vibrations can trigger another avalanche and make things worse as the terrain is pretty sensitive now. This is why even Pakistani army is being cautious with using Heli's.

They will have to ascend a mountain and descend into the Pakistani side. That alone should take over a day at fastest. Then there is the case of the unneccesary risk attached with the move. It won't be an attractive offer for those high-up in the IA.

If both the sides work it out maybe they could be airdropped inside Pakistani controlled Siachin near the incident zone. That would take less effort even though there is a risk. There are better chances of doing this if survivors can be confirmed, so it's worth the risk.

I dont know why people are saying shortage of helis???

There is no shortage of helis people. What can a heli do in that area? We have enough to transport people and machinery.

And the camp has a village to one side, and that side is open, a large sort of a ground, so the helis don't have to be really close to the affected place, they can land at the other side of the village.

US offers assistance for avalanche victims

ISLAMABAD: The United States has expressed deep concern for the brave Pakistani soldiers currently trapped as a result of an avalanche in Gayari Sector of Siachen. According to a press release of the US Embassy in Islamabad, the US is ready to assist Pakistan in search, rescue and recovery operations. 124 soldiers and 11 civilians were buried by a Himalayan avalanche in Siachen. Rescue efforts are under and are being supervised by Army Chief Kayani.

US offers assistance for avalanche victims | MSN Arabia News

btw,wat is the distance b/w indian control area and place where incident happned?

If both the sides work it out maybe they could be airdropped inside Pakistani controlled Siachin near the incident zone. That would take less effort even though there is a risk. There are better chances of doing this if survivors can be confirmed, so it's worth the risk.

For once our leaders have a ready made situation to show each other the "humanity" side in all this. Our leaders are sitting side by side and this could be a massive bridging of gaps between the 2 nations to seek the build a relationship on having a joint operation - maybe im in dream land but is it too much to ask for that our 2 nations military between them must have access to some of the best utensils to use on this operation? As each minute and hour goes bye i sense we have seen the last breaths of the jawaans.
We can sit and put up permutations on here - those in charge that can make a difference may be missing out a major oppertunity in a life saving exercise and a "building of bridges" between the 2 nations....

For once our leaders have a ready made situation to show each other the "humanity" side in all this. Our leaders are sitting side by side and this could be a massive bridging of gaps between the 2 nations to seek the build a relationship on having a joint operation - maybe im in dream land but is it too much to ask for that our 2 nations military between them must have access to some of the best utensils to use on this operation? As each minute and hour goes bye i sense we have seen the last breaths of the jawaans.
We can sit and put up permutations on here - those in charge that can make a difference may be missing out a major oppertunity in a life saving exercise and a "building of bridges" between the 2 nations....

Good sentiment, but unlikely to happen, frankly speaking.

When my father was posted to Siachin and when he was in the HQ for acclimatisation, he met a search party which had come from South (he said may be Lahore). The search party came EVERY YEAR to Siachin to find the dead bodies of a few of their men (same unit) which were buried in the snow due to an avalanche and this was the third time (which means third year) they went back without any trace of dead bodies.

Hi,

Please tell your father we are all proud of the services he rendered to the country---siachen---a frozen hell hole.

Good sentiment, but unlikely to happen, frankly speaking.

You are probably right VC - but any sane person can see that it perhaps is a small gesture that can sometimes break down the walls and barriers. Maybe dreams one day will come true....

You are probably right VC - but any sane person can see that it perhaps is a small gesture that can sometimes break down the walls and barriers. Maybe dreams one day will come true....

There is always hope, I agree, no matter how feeble.

Back
Top Bottom