What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

I don't think the thin air can support a full loaded Mi-36 in any case. Secondly, we can only depend on helicopters to some degree, wash from the rotor blades may trigger the loose sheets of ice to trigger another avalanche.
India operates four Mi26 heavy lift helicopters and most of these are in the valley to aid the Indian Railways for transporting heavy materials.
This pic shows the heli with a tipper exiting it somewhere in J&K.
2wognzc.jpg

Another Image,
mi-26.jpg

Hope that all the men make it out:)

I don't think the thin air can support a full loaded Mi-36 in any case. Secondly, we can only depend on helicopters to some degree, wash from the rotor blades may trigger the loose sheets of ice to trigger another avalanche.
I think what he was meaning is the Mi-26 heavy lift chopper...

Mi-26_01.jpg

Though it can carry 60 injured troops on stretchers with 12 nurses and related medical equipment on board, its service ceiling is 15,000 feet. And it requires a massive helipad too. So this one is a no-go.

ok......at about this time the rescuers were expecting to reach the depth where they could find somebody......dead or alive...

the numbers given on ISPR website are for relatives of the trapped sdiers and since none of my relatives are there so i am not entitled to call the numbers...

if somebody has resources to find out any updates on the situation..please do so and post here.

I HOPE SOON USA'S EXPERTS WILL COME

I am sure that everything that can be done to help, is being done.

Let us hope for the best, but also be prepared to deal with the worst. We need to be united and strong at this time.

I heard on tv this morning that rescue workers could hear faint sounds of whistles coming from below the surface, a possible indication that there are survivors, but it's a long shot.

Anything is worth it.

You are spot on in you assessment. The thin air is unsuitable to fly any of the heavy helos. While both the down draft and reverberating noise can trigger off further movements which will put the rescuers to great risks.

Unfortunately this is a huge, huge human tragedy that has occurred, Considering the environment and the time elapsed, very tragically its likely to be a recovery operation now rather than a rescue operation.

Reading som of the earlier comments, on the viability of occupying Siachen on both sides, in the end its a military choice. But I'd like to add that Siachen ops gave a huge fillip to India's research work to understand avalanches and similar phenomena. THe Snow and Avalanche Studies Estt. in Manali under DRDO has done a great deal of work in this field. Their research has helped to map avalanche prone areas and manage/mitigate avalanches. To the extent that small avalanches are sometimes artificially triggered off to avoid large ones. Their study has helped to design better structures (by R&DE(E)) has helped to some extent in Siachen. Their research has also helped the Indian Army ro design training to their soldiers at HAWS to attempt to survive and carry out rescues in avalanche conditions. Over the years, this has much reduced the human cost of ops in Siachen and other snow-bound areas. If the Army had not occupied Siachen, there would hardly have been necessity for the work done at SASE.

now i hope PA will purchase heavy lifters helos
especially mi-26 and ch-47d

i dont think PA will get any body alive now if miracle dont happen.My salute to those burried and martyred there.

Back
Top Bottom