What's new

Are you less Pakistani if you do not speak Urdu or were raised primarily abroad

There are 8.8 Million Pakistanis in the diaspora living in many corners of the world mainly in the Anglosphere(UK,Canada,USA,NZ and Australia) and the GCC Arab states. At least 3-4 generations have lived abroad many of us primarily speak the English language daily this forum run by expats embodies that however they are many "experts" who deride those Pakistanis that dont speak Urdu as non-Pakistani or dont know Pakistan as if expats visiting only in summers or once few years have the same knowledge or know how of daily dealings than local who was born there.For Pakistani news I do rely on Pakistani media by having relatives or my parents translate because I find the content in English tend to be biased or done by Pakistani expats abroad or small "elite clique".

Its up to you to decide if you want to claim your Pakistani heritage or not! No one can tell you otherwise. I have relatives who are first generation immigrants and they associate more with their country of immigration than Pakistan and its fine as long as they are happy about it. And then there are some third generation kids of immigrants I know who are all about Pakistan even though they have visited Pakistan maybe 2~3 times for a week or two max. And that's fine too.

There are many many Pakistanis living in Pakistan who do not speak Urdu. It is our national language but it is by no means a requirement. We are a diverse country and its a great thing. Doesn't matter you speak English or Xhosa.

100567896_2587880971530472_505309396364951552_n.jpg

There are 8.8 Million Pakistanis in the diaspora living in many corners of the world mainly in the Anglosphere(UK,Canada,USA,NZ and Australia) and the GCC Arab states. At least 3-4 generations have lived abroad many of us primarily speak the English language daily this forum run by expats embodies that however they are many "experts" who deride those Pakistanis that dont speak Urdu as non-Pakistani or dont know Pakistan as if expats visiting only in summers or once few years have the same knowledge or know how of daily dealings than local who was born there.For Pakistani news I do rely on Pakistani media by having relatives or my parents translate because I find the content in English tend to be biased or done by Pakistani expats abroad or small "elite clique".
It might be contravesial, but for me there is only one definition of a Pakistani national. The one holding only the green passport. Geography doesn't matter.

Its up to you to decide if you want to claim your Pakistani heritage or not! No one can tell you otherwise. I have relatives who are first generation immigrants and they associate more with their country of immigration than Pakistan and its fine as long as they are happy about it. And then there are some third generation kids of immigrants I know who are all about Pakistan even though they have visited Pakistan maybe 2~3 times for a week or two max. And that's fine too.

There are many many Pakistanis living in Pakistan who do not speak Urdu. It is our national language but it is by no means a requirement. We are a diverse country and its a great thing. Doesn't matter you speak English or Xhosa.
100 % correct.

Back
Top Bottom