What's new

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernaculars?

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernacular?

• Total voters
Well nationalism in India has nothing to do with Hindi or any language. Though yes majorty here can speak/understand Hindi as their first, Second or third language Just like I can speak Marathi and Gujarati along with English and Hindi while can understand many others like Punjabi and Haryanvi.

I'm under absolutely no assumption. Once again read my post. I said UP and related areas. And you are not 'educating' anybody here but deliberately convoluting this entire debate. But at least you did not use words like 'loser' just to make a point so that 's OK.
If an entire stretch of 1500 kms in length alone(majority of North India and larger than Pakistan itself) is called "UP and related areas" then "UP and related areas" can also cover America by your definition.
Now please tell me this, we are talking about HINDI AS FIRST LANGUAGE. In none of these other areas is Hindi the first language FOR THE MAJORITY of the populace. Is it first language for majority of any of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Himachal etc. etc.? Yes, I do know it's spoken there.
Make no mistake, there is absolutely no way that it's spoken as first language by anywhere close to 40%.
That was what the debate was about in the first place. So
Yes, Hindi is the first language in Madhya Pradesh , Rajasthan. The majority of schools there are either Hindi medium. The local language is learnt at home and community mostly, rarely at school unless the school is a Regional language medium school - a dying breed.

Last edited:
The problem is in the script it uses. If it used Devanagari , it would have been read far more & be familiar to a lot more people. Common sense would have suggested the popularisation of Urdu (outside of the government's actions) by translation into Devanagari script.
True. The linguistic purists however would have none of it.

Already we see the "Urdu" in popular media like films, television is not the same Urdu that was spoken 2 or 3 decades ago - its being pervasively replaced by Hindi words.

In any case, unless the trend is reversed in another 2 decades or so, the language would be all but dead in India - ie merged back in Hindi.

Something - either Governmental or non-Governmental done to ensure this does not happen.

:)
I wish I knew at least one south Indian language, I know these four south Indian languages have similarities with each other, learning one in school would have made it easier to learn others in future as per the need/interest..

Less similarity than N.Indian languages have with each other. Learning one really won't help with another but hey, one is better than none.

The problem is in the script it uses. If it used Devanagari , it would have been read far more & be familiar to a lot more people. Common sense would have suggested the popularisation of Urdu (outside of the government's actions) by translation into Devanagari script.

If you change the script, then there isn't much differences left between Hindi and Urdu, maybe 5%-10% difference.

Yes, Hindi is the first language in Madhya Pradesh , Rajasthan. The majority of schools there are either Hindi medium. The local language is learnt at home and community mostly, rarely at school unless the school is a Regional language medium school - a dying breed.

Nope, it is NOT the first language in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh no matter what convoluted method you use in assessing it. The idea of first-language is very clear and there's no buts-or-ifs about it. You learn your first language in certain ways . Either way now I know for a fact that it is not even close to the data provided here (40%).

Either way the truth is very much there for all to see and no matter what convoluted method is used to disfigure data, it's very very obvious that this whole thing should be not taken as fact. It's not.

Last edited:
Oh look at your physics text books:lol:

B3Wuc4hCQAEm8UD.jpg

:D
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
WTH is this????
is it really pakistani physics textbook????

Nope, it is NOT the first language in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh no matter what convoluted method you use in assessing it.
I dont know whether to laugh or cry. Either ways...
The idea of first-language is very clear and there's no buts-or-ifs about it. You learn your first language in certain ways . Either way now I know for a fact that it is not even close to the data provided here (40%).
Sure. None of us know what first language means.
I also urge you to write to the Government of India or any of the Indian newspapers of the fraud GoI is perpetrating on hapless Indians who till now have not challenged this in any court!

True. The linguistic purists however would have none of it.

Already we see the "Urdu" in popular media like films, television is not the same Urdu that was spoken 2 or 3 decades ago - its being pervasively replaced by Hindi words.

In any case, unless the trend is reversed in another 2 decades or so, the language would be all but dead in India - ie merged back in Hindi.

Something - either Governmental or non-Governmental done to ensure this does not happen.

It will die outside of the "Muslim" community simply because no one will be bothered to learn the script. Nor will national education policies allow for that. Either someone has the common sense to translate it into Devanagari or we simply say good bye to Urdu as a mainstream/ cross-community language.

It will die outside of the "Muslim" community simply because no one will be bothered to learn the script. Nor will national education policies allow for that. Either someone has the common sense to translate it into Devanagari or we simply say good bye to Urdu as a mainstream/ cross-community language.
If it dies outside the Muslim community, it would die within the community as well. Because the language is not dying per se - its transforming back to Hindi. Hindi words are being put in place of the words that actually made the language different.

Eventually, this would percolate down to the Muslims as well. You know outside of some enclaves and all, it is already happening in Muslims as well, their Urdu is becoming more Hindi-ized.

Can you guys read Urdu?

It's a different script right? Not like Chinese/Japanese which both use the same Hanzi characters.

Less similarity than N.Indian languages have with each other. Learning one really won't help with another but hey, one is better than none.

But won't it be easier for me to pick up other south Indian languages if I know one, at least I will be a few step ahead of others who know nothing about any south Indian language. I had a colleague from Kerala who told me that she can understand other south Indian languages, do you understand other south Indian languages?

If you change the script, then there isn't much differences left between Hindi and Urdu, maybe 5%-10% difference.

Depends on what Hindi you are referring to. The official sanskritised Hindi was pretty much a dialect from Benares. Hindustani was the more popular language but years of learning the sanskritised Hindi has brought about a significant change in how the language is spoken, as also the absence of a large Muslim middle class to add colour to the spoken language. The Urdu spoken in Pakistan has changed enormously too with the replacement of almost all sanskrit based words. Watch some Pakistani news channels (not all) and the language spoken is sometimes understandable only when you understand the context.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom