What's new

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernaculars?

Are Indians willing let Hindi be imposed relegating their own vernacular?

• Total voters
Can you guys read Urdu?

It's a different script right? Not like Chinese/Japanese which both use the same Hanzi characters.

It's Arabic script, completely different from any Indic script. Urdu is basically Hindi with more Arabic/Persian words and an Arabic script.

PS-Also read Bang Galore's post above.

But won't it be easier for me to pick up other south Indian languages if I know one, at least I will be a few step ahead of others who know nothing about any south Indian language. I had a colleague from Kerala who told me that she can understand other south Indian languages, do you understand other south Indian languages?

Understanding the languages has nothing to do with knowing one of them. I know of many who can't make any sense of languages other than their own. Hindi may be more understood than other S.Indian languages. Some understand more S.Indian languages but there are many who are fluent in Hindi as well. It has nothing to do with the language family. People in & around Bangalore may be somewhat familiar with Tamil (again a very small percentage) but people up the state won't understand a word of it. Those bordering Telugu speaking areas may follow Telugu & some in areas around Mangalore may follow Malayalam. North Karnataka will be more comfortable with Hindi (apart from Kannada) than with either Tamil or Malayalam. There are Tamilians who have lived all their lives in Karnataka but simply can't speak Kannada while others are very fluent. It is more of an individual ability than any connection of language family.

I can understand 3 other S.Indian languages apart from Kannada, including another language from Karnataka but I'm far more fluent in Hindi than I am in them. Most in my family are fluent in 6/7 languages, I'm the black sheep with fluency only in 4.:D

Last edited:
There's issues in India related to the language question but most people here would of course deny it. They wanna give an impression of 'United Shining India'. Just ask some of the Tamil nationalists :-)
I am an Indian who speaks Tamil foremost as its more Defacto language . I always wanted to Learn Hindi just because you know India is a Diverse Country and if you want to be everywhere in India you should learn the Languages .

P.S if you Dont get my point please dont quote me

o_OYou have got to be kidding me , Sir. You are not comprehending my post. Read again please.You might be a Tamil while being an Indian nationalist. But you certainly are NOT a 'TAMIL NATIONALIST', you know the guys fighting for more linguistic-cultural rights of Tamil people and who consider Hindi language a sort of foreign oppression on their identity.
Mind you , people here would deny it but we know the ground reality.

No Hindi imposition on non-hindi states :

From here
Tamil Nadu CM Jaya opposes UGC's Hindi circular, says it's illegal - IBNLive

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa has strongly opposed the Universities Grants Commission (UGC)'s circular for compulsory Hindi in the colleges. In a statement she said "the UGC circular is unacceptable and illegal. The circular wouldn't apply for Tamil Nadu universities. Tamil Nadu universities under state government control would continue to offer Tamil or other languages under part I. The official languages act says no Hindi imposition on non Hindi states. Official languages act says centre should communicate in English with the non-Hindi states."

She has also hit back at the DMK saying that its double speak has been exposed. She said "the DMK was silent when the Kendriya Hindi Samiti has it decided in 2011."

The DMK and the NDA allies PMK and MDMK have also opposed the circular earlier. The circular asks universities to teach Hindi and English as main subjects at the graduation level.
Listen Buddy!....I was from TN...Majority Tamilians are first Indian Nationalists and then Tamil Nationalists...For us India comes first, Tamil comes second ......but FYI!...down in the bottom of the list comes religion..in that order...As far as the bolded part goes....The key here is People in TN are Tamil Nationalists under the constitution of India...For us India comes first and Hindi last.

India follows three language formula. English + Hindi + Regional language at school. For Hindi speaking states, it is Hindi + English + Sanskrit/German.
Just curious...I suppose you know German....Zie sproken zie Deuteche.

Hindi is a gross acquisition of the Urdu language with Sanskrit nouns thrown in it.

North Indians should realize that they speak the language of their masters, and that the rest of India needs to get in line.
Hindi and Urdu both are Indian languages.You should stop copying our culture.

It's most definitely a big exaggeration. In fact, it defies logic to be honest. Unless millions upon millions of non-native (first language) speakers became native-speakers OVERNIGHT. Most likely tampering with data/demographics .

And no, it doesn't matter that govt. organs report it as such. This is something that non-Hindi speakers should ponder over
Please explain why it doesnt make sense?

how is hindi your national language when majority of indians dont even speak or understand a word of it......

during my graduate studies i came across an indian girl in "global perspectives" class and I had a group project with her and a few others. She didnt understand a single WORD of Urdu when I spoke to her; she got defensive and visually flabergasted even when I asked her how she doesnt understand what I'm saying. She was tamil by the way. Happened in 2010 i think.
Now let me ask you this!....You mentioned that this person was an Indian...who was a Tamil right!....Good...Now What is the reason for her to know/understand Urdu or Hindi...is it mentioned in the Indian constitution that you are a less Indian if you did not know/understand these languages?...Now being from TN .....I understand and write and speak Hindi...can understand Urdu/Punjabi to some extent .....FYI...I learnt to speak Hindi in the US...that too because I got the opportunity to mingle with Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi speaking folks....Give it 10 more years ...This Hindi issue in TN will be a big no issue.

You're talking about tampering census. You guys tamper all of your history. That India had nukes thousands of years ago ROFLMAO:lol:

This is one reason I can't believe this non-sense about 40+% being Hindi speakers unless UP-ite and related folk have really started breeding at an uncontrollable rate :woot::rolleyes:
That is a personal opinion of a minister not the histroy taught in schools.Learn the difference,and Pakistan does tamper with history,You can read about it all over the net.

Hindi is simply an Indian official working language that makes communication between states easier as an alternate to foreign language aka ENGLISH.

If the state wanted to impose, it could have done during Nehru's era.

But things don't work like that in our country.

Learning Hindi, simply makes it easier to talk to each other and creates an alternate to using a colonial language that has nothing to do with our land and different states.

Example: a villager from Gujarat and a villager from Arunachal can interact with each other even with basic Hindi; something neither possible nor wanted from English.
Totally agree!...personally I feel that in 10 years time this will be no issue.

@Abu Zolfiqar ...You live in MD?.....Do you play Cricket in WCL?

Hindi and Urdu both are Indian languages.You should stop copying our culture.

That idea will be lost upon most. The fact remains that apart from the major cities of Pakistan which existed pre-partition. Urdu was an unknown quantity there. It is the language of UP and Deccan Muslims AND non-muslims(to an extent) alike... as before this current "sankritized" version of Hindi.. there were much more blurred lines between Hindi and Urdu.

The saddest fact is that the urban Pakistani..and the Urban Indian to an extent has been so effected by the chat "lingo" that now almost exclusivity write Urdu or Hindi in roman instead of the traditional persian or Devanagari script.

Just curious...I suppose you know German....Zie sproken zie Deuteche.

Ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsche, aber ich habe es in der Schule nicht gelernt.

I learned it in Goethe institute Delhi till B1 Semester, though i did not wrote final exam since it's date clashed with my college exam, So i have certificate for German till A2 level only. I learned Hindi, English and Sanskrit in School.

BTW, I Knew that you deliberately misspelled so google translate could not be used but it should have been : Sie Sprechen sie Deutsche. Meaning: DO you speak German ( in Formal else it would be Du Sprechen sie deutsche).:enjoy:

@anonymus ...I learn a little bit in Max Muller Bhavan(Chennai) that was way back in the 90's....Also My school had German as a second language, which was an option for 11th and 12th std..(Don Bosco Egmore, Chennai)....Ish Nischt spechen sie gut Deutche.

@anonymus ...I learn a little bit in Max Muller Bhavan(Chennai) that was way back in the 90's....Also My school had German as a second language, which was an option for 11th and 12th std..(Don Bosco Egmore, Chennai)....Ish Nischt spechen sie gut Deutche.

Max Muller Bhavan is name of German consulates in India, while Goethe institute is the name of German language center inside max muller bhavan. In Delhi, it is on Kasturba Gandhi marg. My school did not had choice of anything except English, Hindi and Sanskrit.

In Bengal it is Bengali+English and 2 years of Sanskrit, we don't need to learn Hindi seperately because of its similarities with Bengali, and we can also read it because we know the Sanskrit alphabets which is same as Hindi alphabets, we barely need to write in Hindi. I think this more or less apllies to all northern, eastern, western and north-eastern states, only four south Indian languages are different even though they also have their roots in Sanskrit.
Well i studied in Kerala, and we have Hindi as second language, we also have sanskrit, urudu and arabi along with Hindi ..... ( now you know why we are called sickularists :P)

In fact I would suggest that all parts of India barring south India should have a south Indian language as third language along with the local language and English, Hindi comes naturally in these parts because of the similarities with the other local languages in these parts, and also for Hindi media/films, seperately learning it is overkill. South India is prosperous and their languages are rich in literary value, we will be enriched by learning any of those languages, it will also reduce the language barrier between the two parts.

Similarly south Indians can also learn any of the non-south Indian languages as third language, it need not be Hindi only, someone might choose Marathi for the financial capital status of Mumbai where he/she wants to move, someone might be interested in literature and might want to learn Bengali for its high literary value, it should not be an imposition of a specific third language but free choice.

Well the idea of learning south indian language is good, but then in south India we have 4 major languages which is totally different from other...... I dono how it is going to help a child......

When it comes to south Indian learning Hindi, personally i feel thats a good option, because language should be treated as a medium to communicate, nothing more nothing less...... If a south Indian goes out to north India, normally they struggle, but eventually they learn HIndi.....If they have studied in their school i am sure that would help them in a big way......

Nope, it is NOT the first language in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh no matter what convoluted method you use in assessing it.
@mughal arslan shah mirza - Hindi IS the first language in Rajashtan and Madhya Pradesh. I am not sure where you got your info from, but it is not correct.
Also for your info - In MP we have dialects of Hindi that are spoken in certain regions such as "Bundeli" in Bundelkhand region (Gwalior etc), "Malwi" in Malwa region (Indore, Ujjain etc), Bagehli in Baghelkhand region (Satna, Rewa etc).. They are not different languages but different dialects of the same language "Hindi". I hope I cleared your confusion.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom