What's new

Any questions regarding Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also call pani puri, gol gappa. Is it known by this name also there?

yes, we know it by gol gappay but some also call it pani puri

Can you also have it filled with spiced chole?

Yup! Some of us even make it at home with our own fillings :D

do Pakistanis celebrate Sankranti by Kite flying or do u guys even fly kites any time during the year???

Our kite flying season used to be basant....am not sure if it is still as it was....because the kite's threads were rubbed with powdered glass, many accidents occurred and it was banned not sure if the ban was uplifted!

why pakistanis love to take overdose of religion(islam) in every subject?

Sir, firstly your question itself is biased. First you assume that there is an overdose of religion here. What you are refering to is actually, in my opinion, a perception based on your culture (a very common bias, nothing personal, we do it too sometimes). This 'overdose' that you perceive comes largely due to the hemogenity of one religion here (around 97%) and due to this referring to common religious symbols has become a norm in our culture e.g. it is common to say 'Pakistan will be a secular, modern state, inshallah!' or Allah maaf karey (God forbid) this phenomena does not highlight the individual's religious leanings but is due to a normal cultural norm. I'll give you a personal example; I once went to a Pakistan Communist Party conference in Lahore where many members were atheists yet they greeted me with 'Asalaamelikum'. Again this is culture; not religion.

Secondly, you might have inferred an 'overdose' from the political discourse that you hear here on PDF, online and in the news. This is because our dominant political discourse states that Pakistan is a state for Muslims and this propistion has taken a very deep root in the political psyche of a lot of people. Politically, we've been aligned to fellow Muslim states (this too is not a Pakistani phenomena but a post-colonial one which has its roots in the colonial era). Thus, Islam forms a glue for our nation-state identity; whether or not this is right is another argument all toghther, but to a lot of people Islam forms the philosophical base of our political reality. I would like to highlight that this point, though mainstream, is debated within Pakistan and there is a vibrant albeit more latent movement towards a more secularised political philosophy; however this political voice is not as loud as the religiously conservative (this too is not a Pakistani local phenomena but is present elsewhere as well e.g. the US religiously tilted and conservative party: the Republicans is also vocal, uses religiously inspired language and usually stumps out their more liberal Democrats on the media forum. In your own nation the BJP becomes more vocal than the Congress; the Shiv Sena too is another example) So this is what you see.

Hope it helps.

why Pakistanis are so materialistic ?

Not just Pakistanis...British and American kids are spoil as hell because of their laws a mother can not shout or beat her child as a form of discipline and they have this social security in USA where a child can lodge a complain and the child will be taken away from their parents!

Some parents have no idea what to do with their children and they buy them whatever the child asks for! And hence the spoilt bratness increases!

Arabs are equally materialistic! EVERYONE IS!

Just that Pakistanis are in the sense of CLOTHES and accessories for women as for men it is mobiles, car, guns what not for adults it is all about showing off how much you have through marriages, design and size of the house as well as the location of the house!

yes, we know it by gol gappay but some also call it pani puri

Yup! Some of us even make it at home with our own fillings :D

Our kite flying season used to be basant....am not sure if it is still as it was....because the kite's threads were rubbed with powdered glass, many accidents occurred and it was banned not sure if the ban was uplifted!

Yes its known as gol gappe n pani puri in India too...:D

can u tell me the date of kite flying festival in Pakistan?

in karachi the most famous goal gappay you can get to eat is in lalo khet! best of all the goal gappays that i have ever tasted

A thread rubbed with powdered glass is called 'manja'. It is used to cut the thread of the opposing kite. Kite fighting is fierce in some parts of our country.

Yes its known as gol gappe n pani puri in India too...:D

can u tell me the date of kite flying festival in Pakistan?

I have not been to Pakistan in Spring...It occurs in spring :) Cant recall the date...It differs from town to town and some celebrate it for almost a month!

A thread rubbed with powdered glass is called 'manja'. It is used to cut the thread of the opposing kite. Kite fighting is fierce in some parts of our country.

Yes that thread caused alot of accidents esp when the kite falls and the thread falls on the roads, esp people on motorcycles and cycles suffer getting cut!

I know of gol gappa here in Lahore. I'm not sure if there's another variation elsewhere.

I know it as both....Am not sure where we heard of pani puri :)

why do pakistanis throw garbage/wrappers on roads as general habit?

Indians also do this. I think we desis don't have any sense of cleanliness. I have suffered immeasurably because of it. Do Pakistanis urinate, spit and clear their nose on the street?

I have not been to Pakistan in Spring...It occurs in spring :) Cant recall the date...It differs from town to town and some celebrate it for almost a month!

Yes that thread caused alot of accidents esp when the kite falls and the thread falls on the roads, esp people on motorcycles and cycles suffer getting cut!

I know it as both....Am not sure where we heard of pani puri :)

I think the Mohajar ethnic group calls them pani puris, not sure, bro.

1 thing is we do not have pubic garbage bins EVERYWHERE!

2nd there is no strict law like in Singapore

3rd we lack discipline

I went to Karachi airport and Lahore airport and Islamabad aiport ....I was at each when they were newly built! ALL CLEAN took no less than 1 month for paan ka chinta EVERYWHERE! :hitwall:

I think the Mohajar ethnic group calls them pani puris, not sure, bro.

Sis not bro! 2ndly, am also not sure where I picked it up from...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom